Career

I was wonder what kind of careers there are out there for exercise science majors? I am currently in college and I am really bored with the study because of all the core classes I have. I just want to get to the point of career based learning. I’m really pist off at the system and how much worthless classes they make you to before you get to major study. If I wanted to be and english major then I will take english. It feel like I am going through a high school review or something. Its all about money and the more time you spend in college the more they make. I need a big break and all I want to do is train and help other do the same. Just had to get that off my chest.

Dude, you made a serious number of spelling errors in your post. I’m not flaming you, I’m telling you.

If you become a trainer, the majority of your clients might be rich older people who need to get in shape. Guess what? They know grammar, they know how to spell. As SOON as they see you can’t spell properly, they’re going to assume you’re stupid. BAM! Just like that they won’t listen to a word you say.

Those courses are important. You pay for them. Get the most you can from them.

PS: there ARE useless courses. I took a course entitled “Microbial Genetics” and the prof made us memorized tons of three letter gene names. No idea as to function … no. Just the stupid gene names. Urg.

Just off the top of my head: clinical exercise physiology, research, personal training, fitness directors (traditional fitness setting or corporate fitness), strength and conditioning, coaching, lecturing, writing, and teaching.

Stick it out, dude. El machinae is right. While some classes may seem worthless, having completed college shows that you have the mental capacity to learn new things. The point of it isn’t to try to teach you the intricacies of microbiology during that one semester, it’s trying to teach you how to think for yourself. That’s why most employers don’t really care what you took in college, just that you completed it. To have that ability increases your chances at excelling at whatever you do.

I know that doesn’t specifically address what you’re asking, but I think you need to see the bigger picture here. Stay in college and get your degree. You’ll learn more than you can possibly know… not just about the books, but about life, and you’ll have a great time doing it.

Tyler

What El M. said. Go back and read his post again.

Also, there is something else at work when you attend college. A degree implies that you also have a certain breadth of knowledge to go with your major field. So you need to pay attention in math and history and whatever else, because a college grad who can’t handle basic algebra is pretty pathetic, and will be viewed as such by the people who are going to make or break you (career-wise) when you get out. If you already know the stuff, great. Sit back and cruise. But if you don’t, you’d better learn it. DON’T think that you’ll never need it - you will.

Having just declared Excercise Science as my major at FSU, I totally understand what you’re going through. I got a job as a fitness instuctor at the gym on campus, and even though the doesn’t pay that well, I get to spend that much more time in the gym helping others. This is just one of many opportunities available to Exercise Science majors. You might decide you’d like to be an athletic trainer, you could get a job with a professional sports team, if you followed through with that english it would help you to write a book on training or something of that nature. Good luck…

If U wanna make money and be in a related field, go for bio chemistry or related field. I finished Engineering, it pays well but I rather be in a supplement lab researching than dealing with high tech equipment all the time, this will be one of the most flourishing fields in the coming years (bling bling…) and you can get into some really cool stuff. peace

Doing one thing well helps you do other things well. Learning how to do learn and how to do a few things is what college is all about.