T Nation

Career Questions for Law Enforcment

I have been offerd a Police officer position that would send me to the FLETC academy in Artisia NM.

I was in the military USMC, and US ARMY before, I have run in the past but was never great at it, just passing.

It has been over 8 years since I got out and am 38 now.

I have to loose weight and get my endurance up along with general strength after a long lay off…

Are there any FLETC grads here?

I train now with Kettlebells mostly, started running again etc, and lowered my carbs to get the fat off.

Am open to any suggestions about preparation.

Is there some great secret to running?;
Breathing patterns, gate etc, I just want that to be the least of my worries before I go and honestly would like to actually be good at it this time around.

I am built kind of stocky,
5’10 53 shoulders, 46 chest and I put on muscle pretty easily, get strong pretty quick but never was pre disposed to great endurance. I can sprint fast, but long term is just not there.

I can cover distance and a slow job for a few miles, but never was a rabbit…

Thanks in advance guys as always…

Teufey

I graduated from my first police school October 28th, 1960 and am probably the most overtrained copper I have ever met.

I am age 65, and would give anything to be you.

Just get out there and run, do the 6 point push ups and sit ups, and chins, higher rep lt wt squats. Do not be afraid to go to an aerobics classes and Yoga. Your only purpose in life is to pass the course. Once you pass, you will have a new goal.

Do not get all BS’d up into some big weight lifting program. Endurance is your friend. At home I do a 10 station circuit with lt weights, am over weight and not interested in loosing a lot of weight. I still serve papers, collect bad checks, just finished catching an embezzler. My size, and the endurance, experience and confidence still make it all work. And I like to work without the ‘limitations’ place on government police.

Go get’em! I envy you.

My only “secret” to running was to decrease the amount of time my feet were on the ground. Trying to increase stride length can screw you up. If your current footfalls are bap–bap–bap–bap–bap–bap, run at bap-bap-bap-bap-bap-bap-bap. Of course you’ll suck wind, but it’ll eventually get better.

I’d check out running mags/forums - while this board talks about many different performance/physique goals, all they ever talk about are running faster/longer or both.

Yoga is good too!

From my experience at a ‘high stress’ academy in SoCal, the running and PT testing/ qualification at the academy is not a huge hurdle. An active person with a few months of training can make all the minimum numbers without issue. The more difficult issue (and it’s a mental one) is the shear amount of sets you do throughout the day outside of PT.

As for running at the academy and a good starting program, check out the “couch to 5K” program on the Cool Running website. Also save yourself some pain, head for a runners shoe store (not Dick’s or Big 5) and have them find the right shoe for you. It will cost a bit more but it’s worth it.

At the academy, we only hit the weight room a few times and there were no quals on any lifts so save the weights for after graduation. Focus your prep workouts on basic body weight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, squat thrusts/burpees, mountian climbers, pull-ups and running) with the idea of multiple sets of 25 reps (except for pull-ups). Oh…and they are back-to-back sets meaning 25 push-ups, 25 squat thrusts, 25 mountain climbers, 25 sit-ups…repeat with ~10 second breaks between sets.

Another suggestion, is to head for a boxing or muay thai gym. The conditioning aspect is outstanding and you can develop some cross over skills along the way (i.e. hitting things). Don’t be too concerned if the most accesible place to you isn’t a MMA hotbed so long as it isn’t KardioKickboxing or whatever your gym is calling the aerobics class. An LA Boxing gym would do you fine.

As a reality check, the following are fitness level recommendations from several PD’s for beginning the police academy. The information is taken from the last week of their recommended pre-academy workout programs.

The details and the complete prep programs at the listed websites provided (should still be current). If you use the Seal Prep (a great prep program) program you can skip the swimming portion.

As an additional check point, values for the FBI’s PFT minimum and maximum points (male) are listed. The complete protocols and scoring table can be found at the listed website.

LAPD
(http://www.lacity.org/...b/lapd_tips.htm )

Run 4 miles @ 9-10 minutes per mile, 3-4 days/week
Push-ups 25-30 reps x 3 sets
Sit-ups 35-40 reps x 3 sets
Pull-ups 3-15 reps x 3 sets
Leg-lifts 25-35 reps x 3 sets

Las Vegas Metro PD
(http://www.protectthecity.com/...90DayPTPlan.pdf )

Run 3.5 miles @ 9:40 per mile, 4 days/week
Incline Push ups/ Push ups 25 reps x 3 sets
Flutter Kicks 3 sets at 45 seconds/set
Sit Ups 15 reps x 3 sets
Crunches 25 reps x 3 sets
Jumping Jacks 25 reps x 3 sets
Mountain Climbers 25 reps x 3 sets
Body Builders 25 reps x 3 sets

Costa Mesa PD(http://www.ci.costaesa.ca.us/...xpectations.htm )

Run 3 miles @ 9 minutes per mile, 3 days/week
Push-ups 50 reps
Sit-ups 50 reps
Pull-ups 4 reps

FBI PFT
(http://www.fbijobs.gov/1113.as… )

Push-ups 30/58
Sit-ups 38/71
1.5 Mile Run 12:24/8:89
300m Sprint 52.4/40.9
Values listed as min/max. Run and sprint values are minutes:seconds

SEAL PREP
(from Category 1 Wk 9 at http://navyseal.s5.com/workout… )

Run @ 8:30 pace for: Mon 4 miles, Tues 4 miles, Thursday 5 miles, Friday 3 miles
Push-ups 30 reps x 6 sets
Sit-ups 30 reps x 6 sets
Pull-ups 10 reps x 3 sets

Wow ask a question :slight_smile: lol.

Thank you gentleman for the input it is greatly appreciated!!

I just think being a bit older kind of dings your confidence a little.

As for “High stress” well been there done that twice lol, I was out of the Marines just long enough for the ARMY to say "Hey guess what you have to go through week 7 till the end of infantry training “OSUT”, so Almost having been through 2 complete boot camps.

You just start asking yourself, man can I do this again!!! lol

Again thank you for the support and the information!

Now out to pound the pavement…

Teufey

[quote]mixicus wrote:
From my experience at a ‘high stress’ academy in SoCal, the running and PT testing/ qualification at the academy is not a huge hurdle. An active person with a few months of training can make all the minimum numbers without issue. The more difficult issue (and it’s a mental one) is the shear amount of sets you do throughout the day outside of PT.

As for running at the academy and a good starting program, check out the “couch to 5K” program on the Cool Running website. Also save yourself some pain, head for a runners shoe store (not Dick’s or Big 5) and have them find the right shoe for you. It will cost a bit more but it’s worth it.

At the academy, we only hit the weight room a few times and there were no quals on any lifts so save the weights for after graduation. Focus your prep workouts on basic body weight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, squat thrusts/burpees, mountian climbers, pull-ups and running) with the idea of multiple sets of 25 reps (except for pull-ups). Oh…and they are back-to-back sets meaning 25 push-ups, 25 squat thrusts, 25 mountain climbers, 25 sit-ups…repeat with ~10 second breaks between sets.

Another suggestion, is to head for a boxing or muay thai gym. The conditioning aspect is outstanding and you can develop some cross over skills along the way (i.e. hitting things). Don’t be too concerned if the most accesible place to you isn’t a MMA hotbed so long as it isn’t KardioKickboxing or whatever your gym is calling the aerobics class. An LA Boxing gym would do you fine.

As a reality check, the following are fitness level recommendations from several PD’s for beginning the police academy. The information is taken from the last week of their recommended pre-academy workout programs.

The details and the complete prep programs at the listed websites provided (should still be current). If you use the Seal Prep (a great prep program) program you can skip the swimming portion.

As an additional check point, values for the FBI’s PFT minimum and maximum points (male) are listed. The complete protocols and scoring table can be found at the listed website.

LAPD
(http://www.lacity.org/...b/lapd_tips.htm )

Run 4 miles @ 9-10 minutes per mile, 3-4 days/week
Push-ups 25-30 reps x 3 sets
Sit-ups 35-40 reps x 3 sets
Pull-ups 3-15 reps x 3 sets
Leg-lifts 25-35 reps x 3 sets

Las Vegas Metro PD
(http://www.protectthecity.com/...90DayPTPlan.pdf )

Run 3.5 miles @ 9:40 per mile, 4 days/week
Incline Push ups/ Push ups 25 reps x 3 sets
Flutter Kicks 3 sets at 45 seconds/set
Sit Ups 15 reps x 3 sets
Crunches 25 reps x 3 sets
Jumping Jacks 25 reps x 3 sets
Mountain Climbers 25 reps x 3 sets
Body Builders 25 reps x 3 sets

Costa Mesa PD(http://www.ci.costaesa.ca.us/...xpectations.htm )

Run 3 miles @ 9 minutes per mile, 3 days/week
Push-ups 50 reps
Sit-ups 50 reps
Pull-ups 4 reps

FBI PFT
(http://www.fbijobs.gov/1113.as… )

Push-ups 30/58
Sit-ups 38/71
1.5 Mile Run 12:24/8:89
300m Sprint 52.4/40.9
Values listed as min/max. Run and sprint values are minutes:seconds

SEAL PREP
(from Category 1 Wk 9 at http://navyseal.s5.com/workout… )

Run @ 8:30 pace for: Mon 4 miles, Tues 4 miles, Thursday 5 miles, Friday 3 miles
Push-ups 30 reps x 6 sets
Sit-ups 30 reps x 6 sets
Pull-ups 10 reps x 3 sets [/quote]

Excellent advice. I steer many new trainees to navyseal.com. They have some great running programs.

I have never been to FLETC NM, but graduated FLETC GA in 1990 and go back once a year or so as an instructor.

MY agency and every other agency I have heard of is much more concerned with cardio type fitness than weight lifting strength. The strength that is tested is usually body weight related. Most recruits that I have seen that have trouble with their strength are overweight. They are strong enough to do pullups at 180lbs but they weigh 220.

As someone mentioned earlier your goal is to pass this test. After you graduate you can do whatever type of training you want. I would find out what your test will consist of and work those type of exercises. Based on your post I would bet you are plenty strong for the test. You should probably work on your running and make sure you are not carrying extra weight.

The navyseal and crossfit programs are good places to start.

Good luck