Career Question

I was recently promoted and been on the job for a couple of months now. Before I was promoted, I was contacted by a former manager who now works at a different company. He asked me about coming to work at his firm. I interviewed and was offered a similar position with his company with greater upside, comparable pay and more responsibility. In addition, I loved working with him. If I leave my current company, I would need to relocate my family and potentially sell my house for a loss.

I’m in a tough spot with a big decision. I’m doing a good job in my current role, and feel appreciated, but there’s major budget issues and potential layoffs in the horizon. I’m happy with my current role but will need to “do less with more.” Morale is also an issue in the group due to these cutbacks.

Or should I go work in much smaller company with a manager who I loved working for, but need to relocate my family? The new company is in an area with much lower cost of living.

Should I stay with “stability” and my current employer, knowing I was just promoted (and feel a sense of loyalty) or take a risk with a smaller company with my greater growth potential, and back with manager I enjoyed working with?

Thoughts?

My first thought is try making a little bit of sense.

I’m doing a good job in my current role, and feel appreciated, but there’s major budget issues and potential layoffs in the horizon

Then you say

Should I stay with “stability” and my current employer

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
I was recently promoted and been on the job for a couple of months now. Before I was promoted, I was contacted by a former manager who now works at a different company. He asked me about coming to work at his firm. I interviewed and was offered a similar position with his company with greater upside, comparable pay and more responsibility. In addition, I loved working with him. If I leave my current company, I would need to relocate my family and potentially sell my house for a loss.

I’m in a tough spot with a big decision. I’m doing a good job in my current role, and feel appreciated, but there’s major budget issues and potential layoffs in the horizon. I’m happy with my current role but will need to “do less with more.” Morale is also an issue in the group due to these cutbacks.

Or should I go work in much smaller company with a manager who I loved working for, but need to relocate my family? The new company is in an area with much lower cost of living.

Should I stay with “stability” and my current employer, knowing I was just promoted (and feel a sense of loyalty) or take a risk with a smaller company with my greater growth potential, and back with manager I enjoyed working with?

Thoughts?

[/quote]

Stability is for queers? Are you a queer? Thought so, get some!

Are the job duties going to be equivalent?

Personally, I would go work for the manager I enjoyed working with and the greater potential for career growth within a smaller company. The morale issue is big too, and I would not like to deal with the downsizing that may be occurring and the stressful day to day that would bring.

Plus if the company is downsizing, it is not growing and there is even less potential for career growth. You might even and up with somebody else’s job to do on top of your own and the stress of being worn a bit thin, without further compensation.

I’m a bachelor though, living in an apartment, so I’m mobile and at the phase in my life where I can make decisions like this and not have too many potentially negative consequences to deal with. But, I’d probably take the new offer.

Did the new place offer to cover relocation expenses?

When I stated “stability”, what I meant to say is even though there are budget cutbacks and potential layoffs in my current company, I will be less likely to be laid off myself.

Regarding relocation, yes, the new company would be covering the cost of relocation.

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
Regarding relocation, yes, the new company would be covering the cost of relocation.
[/quote]

FTW!!! Where you going somewhere in Texas?

ass-to-mouth or get the fuck out

bosu ball squats should help with your stability.