Career Manouvers

I’m looking for some constructive insight, particularly from those in the science industry. I’m 26, and am 3/4 way though an analytical chemistry undergraduate degree. I’m also certified as personal trainer, but haven’t found a way of getting any purchase from it. I’ve been working for 6 years as a software developer-something I really don’t like, but it pays for school.

What concerns me is that as my studies come to an end, there seems to be no money in chemistry, especially in terms of sport and health in the UK. I enjoy what I’m learning, and I’d like to progress into areas like medicinal or pharmaceutical chemistry, working with athletes from that end, but if that will leave me broke, then maybe I need to accept this was purely for my benefit and seek other pastures. From what I can see, these are my options:

A) Continue with the science into post grad, move somewhere like the US, Canada, another European country, or Australia where sport is seen as more of an investment and try my luck there.

B) Stay in IT; I may hate it, but maybe I can generate enough money to do something on my own. Question is for how long.

It would be great to combine my IT with chemistry as I don’t see my chemists with that skill, but I’m not sure in what form that may take. Again, any constructive insight would be most welcome.

Why not consider both. Look into graduate programs in Canada and the U.S. that might allow you to facilitate software programing (database or modeling software for chemisty). A friend of mine did a doctorial thesis on similar front at Queens University in Canada, so there is a field to some extent.

However, you might be disappointed with the state of sport programs in Canada. Just my 2 cents. I would recommend researching North American schools in any regard.

Stick with both. I have a classmate in my MBA program that is going for an MBA with an emphasis in Information Systems. He already has a MS in Chemistry and PhD in Molecular BioPhysics. He is employed and paid well; however, he feels the MBA in IS will boost his career even further becausee of his work with X-ray crystallography. He wants to be able to incorporate science and technology into his work leading to more of an administrative position.

Thanks guys-I’ll be sure to look into those areas. Would anyone know hot to find any work going on with computational chemistry and applications to sports/health?

Some of the larger universities have specialized programs in sport science, biomechanics and althletic performance centers. That would be my suggesting for a place to start looking.