Career Advice: Blue vs. White Collar Work

There’s wisdom in AC’s comments.

With a degree, and a little education (pun intended) you could not only provide for a family, have great, no, Fucking Great benefits, and rise up the ladder to run crews, manage projects etc.

A college degree doesn’t give anyone a pass to a white collar job in life, and sales is not for everyone.

there is something satisfying in getting your hands dirty, figuring out drawings and complicated diagrams, and at the end of the project, see the fruits of your efforts.

Construction can be a great career. These guys who mention the hurt back, hurt knees, bad shoulders etc, are forgetting the long term health risks of sitting on your ass all day, in front of a computer, talking on the phone while your cholesterol, blood pressure and stress levels kill you off at 58 years old.

anyway - my $.02

Go into professional land surveying— you can be both!

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
You’re in MD right? Local 26 or Local 24 International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers would take you in a minute as an Apprentice. It’s a five year program, but you work the whole time (start off at 50% of scale and get a 10% bump in pay every year).

Right now the scale is $39.05 an hour for a Journeyman Electrician (Plus Annuity, Pension and Full benefits). With your education you’ll be at the top of your class and probably fall right into a foreman/service truck gig which would give you another 3 - 5 bucks an hour plus a truck and a gas card. Paid vacation and performance bonuses if you sell yourself right. It’s good work.

I was an electrician for ten years (I only left because I topped out) and if the mortgage industry gets any more fucked up than it already is, I’d go back in a minute.

my .02 [/quote]

This.

As far as earning a living, I’ve got a few buddies in the trades. A sprinkler fitter, a couple railroad guys, and telecom installer something or other. All of them make more than me. I’m about as white collar as you get as an attorney.

They have the added benefit of not being indentured servants to Sallie Mae for the rest of their lives.

If there was chance in hell that I could get in with the railroad or sprinkler fitters, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

You’re in MD right? Local 26 or Local 24 International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers would take you in a minute as an Apprentice. It’s a five year program, but you work the whole time (start off at 50% of scale and get a 10% bump in pay every year).

Right now the scale is $39.05 an hour for a Journeyman Electrician (Plus Annuity, Pension and Full benefits). With your education you’ll be at the top of your class and probably fall right into a foreman/service truck gig which would give you another 3 - 5 bucks an hour plus a truck and a gas card. Paid vacation and performance bonuses if you sell yourself right. It’s good work.

I was an electrician for ten years (I only left because I topped out) and if the mortgage industry gets any more fucked up than it already is, I’d go back in a minute.

my .02 [/quote]

We only hire non-union electricians. 8O

Step 1: Since you are a simple guy and have a good job now, you should have plenty of money left over. Save it. Pay down your debt (or at least save up enough money to pay the bills for 1 year).

Step 2: Get an old moving truck (or lease one)… grab some friends or some randoms off craigslist to help out.

Step 3: Jump through whatever hoops your state has set up and start a moving business.

I would think the great thing about a moving business is you could literally work part-time only (weekends) since most people prefer to be around when you actually do the moving, making weekends a big priority for movers.

You could do all this while keeping your current job (or moving to another high-paying job). Once you actually got in the black, started making some money, and were certain you could get more business if you worked outside of the weekends, you could quit your job and move into that full time.

There you go, you can move furniture around all day, make more than $15 an hour and an exit plan when you are too old, change your mind, or get hurt.

I did something similar - got a degree and decided I didn’t really like what I was doing so I started my own business. I worked on it at nights, weekends, and vacation days. Once I banked enough money to pay my bills for a year (nothing is ever guaranteed) and built it up to make more than I was making at my old salaried job, I quit and haven’t looked back.

The key point is you just don’t go from your salary job to being a mover… have some patience, work harder, and build yourself up before you change ‘careers’ - you can’t have everything you want at once.

[quote]Edgy wrote:

Construction can be a great career. These guys who mention the hurt back, hurt knees, bad shoulders etc, are forgetting the long term health risks of sitting on your ass all day, in front of a computer, talking on the phone while your cholesterol, blood pressure and stress levels kill you off at 58 years old.

anyway - my $.02[/quote]

You’re really comparing the physical detriments of a manual labor job against that of an office job? Seriously?

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

anyway - my $.02[/quote]

You’re really comparing the physical detriments of a manual labor job against that of an office job? Seriously?[/quote]

Yep.

that just happened.

Shake and Bake!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

my .02 [/quote]

We only hire non-union electricians. 8O[/quote]

What’s your policy on plumbers?

“When You Hire Union Plumbers, You Hire Trained Professionals Who Won’t Fuck Your Wife”

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

my .02 [/quote]

What’s your policy on plumbers?

“When You Hire Union Plumbers, You Hire Trained Professionals Who Won’t Fuck Your Wife”
http://www.theonion.com/articles/when-you-hire-union-plumbers-you-hire-trained-prof,18853/[/quote]

DAMMIT! I’ve been wondering why I’ve got so many damned plumbing problems always happening around here!

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I work in an office and work out every morning before work.

You are obviously a kid with no wife and child. As a husband and father you could give two shits about doing manual labor all day and are more concerned with providing for you family. So unless you are really, really ugly (or gay) I would say listen to people older than you who have responsibilities maybe just maybe the reason you are an engineer is because they sacrificed to put your ass through school. NOT to see it wasted on a FUCKING blue collar job. Or not its the internet. [/quote]

Damn, dude. Chill out.[/quote]

hahahahahaha sorry Wol I was having a flash back with my 19 year old and his mentality. :slight_smile: I had a hard day at work yesterday and I was enjoying a margarita when I came upon this thread.

OP just busting you balls kid, you do what you will, just when you hit your mid 30’s I expect you to resurrect this thread and let us know how life is going.

OP, switch to a standing desk. I recently made such a move in my office and I will never go back to sitting behind a desk again. If you cant get the office manager to spring for a standing desk, pick up some cinder blocks and a table cloth (30 bucks at most). I also wall mounted my monitor at eye level. My back feels great and my posture is improving. Plus I get to pace around and fidget when I have to actually think while at work.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

my .02 [/quote]

I’m sure there’s plenty of great non-union electricians. But the 5 year apprenticeship that you get with the union is FAR better than any non-union avenue available (most are 2 year programs at a community college or at a large company). To get a journeyman’s license for any local jurisdiction, all you need is to meet a ridiculously low man hour requirement and pass a test I could have aced as a second year apprentice. That doesn’t mean that ALL non union electricians are unqualified, but you sure don’t HAVE to be very qualified to get a journeyman’s license… Just sayin’! LOL

I remember one time six or seven years ago when we were working on a new building in down town DC in the winter, and some assholes in the next building put up a sign that read, “It’s 72 degrees up here”. So we made our own sign that read, “It’s $33.65 / hr. down here”. They took their fucking sign down…

An AVERAGE white collar job will pay far less than a job in a trade (Electrician, Plumber, Steam Fitter, Elevator, Duct work, Sprinkler Fitter, HVAC or BAS tech). I know in Local 26, on TOP of the scale was the annuity - for every hour I worked $4.00 was placed in an account that I had access to invest within Fidelity Financial (and you could even take money out to buy a house), on top of that was the pension ($62.00 a month for every year of service from the Local and another ~$10.00/mo from the International for year of service) PLUS full insurance coverage through Alliance for you and all your dependents which is like $950 a month on COBRA. It was like a $60.00 an hour plus package… That’s not so fucking bad.

The down side is that once you reach Foreman and get your five dollars over scale, the truck, the vacation, the bonuses etc… there is literally NOTHING you can do to go beyond that (besides stealing copper, I know some guys who make an extra 30K a year at the scrap yard by ordering 15’ extra on all of their wire pulls and the copper really adds up).

I left because I saw an opportunity. I took it and it worked out (it was 2004 and the real estate market was unregulated and exploding). There wont be another bubble like that for some time. There is NO SHAME in working a trade. It’s good stable work and it’s ~80K a year plus the extras. That’s not bad.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

my .02 [/quote]

I’m sure there’s plenty of great non-union electricians. But the 5 year apprenticeship that you get with the union is FAR better than any non-union avenue available (most are 2 year programs at a community college or at a large company). To get a journeyman’s license for any local jurisdiction, all you need is to meet a ridiculously low man hour requirement and pass a test I could have aced as a second year apprentice. That doesn’t mean that ALL non union electricians are unqualified, but you sure don’t HAVE to be very qualified to get a journeyman’s license… Just sayin’! LOL

I remember one time six or seven years ago when we were working on a new building in down town DC in the winter, and some assholes in the next building put up a sign that read, “It’s 72 degrees up here”. So we made our own sign that read, “It’s $33.65 / hr. down here”. They took their fucking sign down…

An AVERAGE white collar job will pay far less than a job in a trade (Electrician, Plumber, Steam Fitter, Elevator, Duct work, Sprinkler Fitter, HVAC or BAS tech). I know in Local 26, on TOP of the scale was the annuity - for every hour I worked $4.00 was placed in an account that I had access to invest within Fidelity Financial (and you could even take money out to buy a house), on top of that was the pension ($62.00 a month for every year of service from the Local and another ~$10.00/mo from the International for year of service) PLUS full insurance coverage through Alliance for you and all your dependents which is like $950 a month on COBRA. It was like a $60.00 an hour plus package… That’s not so fucking bad.

The down side is that once you reach Foreman and get your five dollars over scale, the truck, the vacation, the bonuses etc… there is literally NOTHING you can do to go beyond that (besides stealing copper, I know some guys who make an extra 30K a year at the scrap yard by ordering 15’ extra on all of their wire pulls and the copper really adds up).

I left because I saw an opportunity. I took it and it worked out (it was 2004 and the real estate market was unregulated and exploding). There wont be another bubble like that for some time. There is NO SHAME in working a trade. It’s good stable work and it’s ~80K a year plus the extras. That’s not bad.
[/quote]

AC my only issue with this situation is he has a degree that he has not utilized or excercised all his possible options. Closing doors on potential from one experience is not the way to go through life. Again just to make clear I am not down grading blue collar work, what I am saying is why waste something you have already achieved.

I can empathize with your post, as I’m sure many can. The majority of us would choose activity over inactivity.

That said, get a part-time mover job, working nights and weekends. Do that until you get sick of it (in likely < 6 months) or your body breaks down, joint by joint. Keep your engineering job. You’ll be happy you did.

Another option that may work for you is quit your job. Have difficulty finding employment in this economy. Quit searching for employment. Fall into depression. Move back in with your parents. Scratch, and claw and fight your way back into job. Thank your lucky stars every day that somebody gave you a second chance. Value that second chance. Vale your job. Value being out of depression and being independent. Value your self-respect. There is nothing like extended periods of unemployment that will make you realize how lucky you are to even have a job.

I think you just need a different engineering job. No disrespect to movers - but that is a career/life for those who don’t have the options that you do.

so.

4 years of smoking pot, chasing pussy and attending classes (extending HS) is an acheivement?

So, if after spending 4 years in an apprenticeship then he goes to college, ya’all would be proud.

But, If he spent 4 years fucking off in some college and then went to a 4 year apprenticship, ya’ll would think that I was squandering my life and education?

I’m calling bullshit.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
so.

4 years of smoking pot, chasing pussy and attending classes (extending HS) is an acheivement?

So, if after spending 4 years in an apprenticeship then he goes to college, ya’all would be proud.

But, If he spent 4 years fucking off in some college and then went to a 4 year apprenticship, ya’ll would think that I was squandering my life and education?

I’m calling bullshit.[/quote]

Edgy I could reverse the argument if he did 4 years as an apprentice to be a mill wright and then decides to now say Oh I really like cutting hair. I like standing up and its good for me and cutting hair makes me feel so pretty. Then what? I dont know if you were referring to my post, I was just slapping my forehead for why spend the time and effort to achieve something and then not even follow it through for its full potential.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

AC my only issue with this situation is he has a degree that he has not utilized or excercised all his possible options. Closing doors on potential from one experience is not the way to go through life. Again just to make clear I am not down grading blue collar work, what I am saying is why waste something you have already achieved.[/quote]

This is what accountants refer to as a “sunk cost”. That time, money and effort is already gone regardless of which direction he chooses to go from here, so there is no point chasing good money after bad. All that matters from THIS POINT FORWARD is that he chooses the career path that will make him happiest in life. For some (myself included) money is a huge part of that equation. For others (I’m guessing OP) money doesn’t matter so much.

Although, I should add, getting a job moving furniture for $15/hr sure sounds like it sucks. No upward mobility, no skills involved (hence no marketing ability for later in life), no (substantial) pay raises. Talk about a dead end, furniture mover is about as dead end as it gets.

OP - if you truly like blue collar work better, AC is right on the money in learning a trade. He didn’t even factor in the side jobs you can get making thousands in “off the books” cash every year.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I dont know if you were referring to my post [/quote]

I was.

I work with so many useless fucks that have degrees, and see what my kids and their friends do in College, that it fucking pisses me off that the world is geared to reward those with Degrees with accolades, when all they did was attend useless classes, smoke pot and chase pussy. To most, its just an extension of the HS circlejerk.

Burns my ass.

End rant…big breath.

DJ - I’m sure I took your post out of context…it just hits a button on me 'sall~

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
What are you going to do down the road when your back hurts, your knees hurt, everything’s hurting, and you can’t keep up with the youngsters? You sure as shit aren’t getting an engineering job at that point.[/quote]

x2

I took ten years after college to work in tree pruning and landscape maintenance. I enjoyed the work and probably would still be doing it if my knees, back and shoulder did not hurt all the time from accumulated injuries. Doing heavy physical work is like being an athlete; you only have so many years until the body starts breaking down and you are forced to work through chronic pain.

I now have a middle management job; I sit behind a desk or in meetings all day, but I like the work I am doing now as much or more than the work I used to do in the trees and landscape.

Hope that perspective helps.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
so.

I’m calling bullshit.[/quote]

If you can screw off in college and still get an engineering degree you either:
a) went to a shitty school and employers will know and won’t be interested in hiring you
b) are a fucking genius
c) barely passed with a shitty gpa which won’t help you land a good first job (although once you get the first job your gpa might not matter as much)

While I agree some (most?) college degrees are fucking jokes, engineering, medicine, and a few other aren’t.