T Nation

Care for New Bands

Just got my bands was wondering what are some good ways to keep them in good shape so they last ages?

I was told covering them in talcum powder when not in use is a good idea?

I’ve had bands for nearly three years. Here’s my secret… absolutely nothing. I throw those things around. Leaving them everywhere and anywhere. They’re pretty dam durable. Not saying one should not or could not take better care than I do but if they are designed to handle the kinds of loads they are, I think they can handle being less than pampered. Heck one of mine arrived with a rip/tear in it. In 3 years the tear has gotten no bigger.
Bottom Lines they are pieces of rubber, they will last.

Just be careful what you choke them on, sharp edges will cut through them, but I’ve kept a pair of blues in the back seat of my car for 6 months in the sun and they seemed fine to me when I used them.

Don’t keep them tied in knots or choked over a bar while not in use.
If its put across a sharp edge the band can slice and sometimes a small part of it can start to peel down the length of band, in my experiance this shouldn’t really effect the life as the band–just make sure you trim it where its peeling and you should be good to go.

• don’t leave it stretched
  • dont leave it tied in knots
  • dont choke it on anything that can puncture it
  • every month or two use some armor all
  • try to keep it out of the sun

thats about it. should last you 5yrs minimum imo

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

• don’t leave it stretched
  • dont leave it tied in knots
  • dont choke it on anything that can puncture it
  • every month or two use some armor all
  • try to keep it out of the sun

thats about it. should last you 5yrs minimum imo[/quote]

What they said, however, I have had minis break in a year or so. My other bands are 5+ years I think and fine.

I’m not Armor All’in my bands but that’s a cute idea

[quote]sapasion wrote:
I’m not Armor All’in my bands but that’s a cute idea[/quote]

What’s Armor All?

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
sapasion wrote:
I’m not Armor All’in my bands but that’s a cute idea

What’s Armor All?[/quote]

Automotive cleaner/conditioner for plastic interior components and tire sidewalls. Never heard of doing that to bands, but it sounds like an ok idea.