Cardio's Impact With Weights

So, if trying to gain mass, you ideally don’t wish to do cardio. About three times a week HIIT is reccomended. I’ve also read in a few posts that running or doing cardio will prevent the gains you wish to expect the days you lift. What exactly does cardio do to prevent gains?

I mean, theoretically, if you were to lift for a day, and than run or bike or swim several hours later, couldn’t you comepensate for that calorie deficit caused by running by eating another serving of protein and a couple more of carbs? And wouldn’t that running prevent some fat accumalation?

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
So, if trying to gain mass, you ideally don’t wish to do cardio. About three times a week HIIT is reccomended. I’ve also read in a few posts that running or doing cardio will prevent the gains you wish to expect the days you lift. What exactly does cardio do to prevent gains?

I mean, theoretically, if you were to lift for a day, and than run or bike or swim several hours later, couldn’t you comepensate for that calorie deficit caused by running by eating another serving of protein and a couple more of carbs? And wouldn’t that running prevent some fat accumalation? [/quote]

Exactly? Here’s a start (it’s an older article but the whole thing’s online) http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/85/2/695 Read it, then see who cited it , see who cited that, and keep going until you’re satisfied.

I’ve got an error loading up the message…sorry, but thanks!

In short cardio long endurance training is catabolic it eats up muscle and also nswings those precius type 2 fibers to type one. thats veryu short. but you can do some hell we all need to be some what conditioned.

Try doing a search and reading the old Cardio Roundtable here on this site.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
In short cardio long endurance training is catabolic it eats up muscle and also nswings those precius type 2 fibers to type one. thats veryu short. but you can do some hell we all need to be some what conditioned.

Phill[/quote]

Type II fibers cannot switch to type I and Type I cannot switch to type II. Type IIb which is the most powerful can turn to Type IIa if exposed to endurance exercise. Type IIa is has more aerobic properties…

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Type II fibers cannot switch to type I and Type I cannot switch to type II. Type IIb which is the most powerful can turn to Type IIa if exposed to endurance exercise. Type IIa is has more aerobic properties…

[/quote]

Technically correct and technically not correct. Your muscles are comprised of both types. The percentage of each type can change depending on the type of workout you do. Type II are more dense than type I. So if you go catabolic and atrophy the type II, you will increase the percentage of type I and your muscle mass will decrease.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Technically correct and technically not correct. Your muscles are comprised of both types. The percentage of each type can change depending on the type of workout you do. Type II are more dense than type I. So if you go catabolic and atrophy the type II, you will increase the percentage of type I and your muscle mass will decrease.[/quote]

Yes and well this stuff as modt thing is still undamn clear. its largely theory, speculation a study showing one thing another showing the opposite. What can be said is that LOTS of long duration cardio is not a friend to being either HUGE or strong.

But sure do SOME. if you want hell go for a long walk. its great for the old ticker, easy on the joints and will more likely aid recovery and growth, burn fat , etc.

Phill