T Nation

Cardio with 5/3/1

What’s up. First post here…

I have been lifting for about a year and a half, and I am just starting to focus on powerlifting. I am starting the 5/3/1 program this coming Monday after training for about 4 months (low reps high intensity) with the following weekly schedule : Monday Chest and Bi’s, Tuesday Legs, Wednesday low intensity cardio, Thursday Delts and Tri’s, Friday Back, and Saturday Racing BMX for cardio. 5/3/1 will obviously be a very extreme change from my previous routine.

I know Wendler has stated that interval training is all the cardio you need, but what else can I do, and when should I do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Why do you want to do cardio?; Just focus on lifting.

Cardio would be done to scale the calories-in vs calories-out equation.

If you want to manipulate that equation, you either do cardio to increase “calories-out” or you decrease your food which decreases “calories-in”.

Just do what he says for a month = prowler and/or hill sprints for cardio. If, after several weeks, you think you need more cardio - add it in; however, I doubt you will find it necessary.

I will start out with the hill sprints. My main goal is to get my weight from 238 to 220 by the end of the year. I intend on losing it at a slow pace to preserve strength.

Going from 239 to 220 is your goal, then there is little need for you to do any cardio. Your best bet would be to clean up your diet first. If you already have your diet and macros inline then cardio would be necessary.

[quote]NYGmattyP wrote:
I know Wendler has stated that interval training is all the cardio you need, but what else can I do, and when should I do it? Any advice would be appreciated. [/quote]
Two pieces worth reading for your situation…
Wendler’s Conditioning 101 article:

Cardio for Strength Athletes:

[quote]Frizzle wrote:
… there is little need for you to do any cardio.[/quote]
I know you were talking with regard to fat loss but, that aside, there are plain old healthful reasons to be doing cardio. Especially in the OP’s case as he’s a fat dude (no offense) trying to drop weight and, presumably, be healthy and strong and a bit more lean.

It’s a realization that a lot of top powerlifter guys seem to come to… eventually. Getting “in shape” and being “healthy” is a legit goal that can be concurrent with getting stronger and/or more muscular.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]NYGmattyP wrote:
I know Wendler has stated that interval training is all the cardio you need, but what else can I do, and when should I do it? Any advice would be appreciated. [/quote]
Two pieces worth reading for your situation…
Wendler’s Conditioning 101 article:

Cardio for Strength Athletes:

[quote]Frizzle wrote:
… there is little need for you to do any cardio.[/quote]
I know you were talking with regard to fat loss but, that aside, there are plain old healthful reasons to be doing cardio. Especially in the OP’s case as he’s a fat dude (no offense) trying to drop weight and, presumably, be healthy and strong and a bit more lean.

It’s a realization that a lot of top powerlifter guys seem to come to… eventually. Getting “in shape” and being “healthy” is a legit goal that can be concurrent with getting stronger and/or more muscular.[/quote]

thank you good sir. Will read tonight.

Try some barbell complexes. Crossfit WODs are great. They take 5-15 minutes and generally focus on total body conditioning. Easy to do after your strength work. You could even do strength and a bit of assistance then the WOD.