T Nation

Cardio When Bulking

i’m currently doing the “Total-body training”
i was wondering if i can do some cardio such as running for 10 minutes everyday.
and about the eating 1 hour before go to bed…doesn’t that just makes me add fat? because i was once very over weight: 206lbs and i just don’t want to add fat again.

what do you hope to accomplish by running for 10 min everyday?

What height are you?

i don’t know, i just don’t want to add fat, and im 179 cm

Try and avoid carbs for your pre-bed meal if possible I would suggest if you’re really worried about it.

Frankly, as you’d realize reading around here, if you go through a true bulking phase, you’re bound to put on some amount of fat. How you go about bulking (clean vs. dirty) and what kind of macro breakdown you have will impact the amount of fat you put on as you build muscle. Make no mistake though, to gain (significant) muscle, you will have to consume more calories than your body need for maintenance purposes (around 500 a day seems to be the target if you’re concerned about fat gain). Invariably, a portion of this will be stored as fat if you are to build muscle at an appreciable rate.

You will add some amount of fat. It is not very likely for someone to gain alot of muscle and not gain any fat, except for a total newb.

You need to decide how much fat gain is acceptable to you based on your goals.

Start out with no cardio, once you reach a point where fat gain is too much for you to accept than either add some cardio or scale back cals a bit.

I’d choose complexes over running 10 minutes a day.

i just calculated of how man calories i need to gain weight from the “massive eating topic” and its 3951…kinda scared me

do you guys eat around 4000 or more calories when you are bulking up?

[quote]devilwrath wrote:
do you guys eat around 4000 or more calories when you are bulking up? [/quote]

Currently I average about 3500 cals/day and I weight 190. I’ll probably be close to 4000 when I get near 200lbs.

[quote]devilwrath wrote:

I honestly don’t count calories when I’m not trying to lose weight for the season, but when I counted calories, when I was trying to cut weight I was averaging 3200/day, so I would say so

damn, thanks for the replys helped a lot.
honestly i was eating around 1200 calories per day… no wonder i wasn’t making ANY progress at all.

Why counting calories instead of just counting weight gain per week?

Cardio while bulking is a good idea, as long as you are GAINING Weight.
Read for example the G-Flux articles here.

Honestly, just adding half a gallon post-workout choco lofat milk makes 1000 kcal plus with lots of protein and nearly no fat. (If i remember the gallon at 4 metric litres right…)

Then, if its still not enough to gain weight, add the same amount after rising in the morning :stuck_out_tongue:

Second Article to read might be starting strength + Gallon of milk a day >_<

crist

how many people take the bike to work thats 2*10-20 min of cardio right there ?

how many people take the bike to the gym. thats another 5 miles each way ?

why do you loose sleep over silly 10 minuttes !

1200 Calories? On a Bulk?

http://www.weightlossforall.com/1200-calorie-diet-sample.htm

I’m surprised that’s enough calories to keep your organs functioning, let alone work out.

haha at 1200 cals your worried about fat gain?!?

i guess impossible is nothing

yeah i know, im retarded haha,
how long should i see some progress? after 1 month? like strength gains and more muscular

Going from 1200 to 3900 Cal? You should see some sort of progress within a couple of weeks, really.

[quote]devilwrath wrote:
yeah i know, im retarded haha,
how long should i see some progress? after 1 month? like strength gains and more muscular [/quote]

Define progress.
You will not gain slabs of muscle in a month, you must look at this as a long term project. Expect to put on weight with an excess of calories, but make sure that you are also putting more weight on the bar. Think about it this way. If your deadlift goes from 405 x 5 to 500 x 5, your whole upper body will have more than likely exploded. If you go from 315 x 10 to 405 x 10 squatting, your legs probably will have gotten bigger. More muscles from much stronger lifts = bigger. It is simple, but true in my opinion.

[quote]devilwrath wrote:

At least 6000

[quote]devilwrath wrote:
how long should i see some progress? after 1 month? [/quote]

Strength progress? You should see progress between every workout. If you deadlifted 205 for a set of 5 this week, you’ll be able to do 215x5 next week, and 225 the week after, and 235 the week after, etc etc.

And if you don’t gain at least 15 pounds in the first month, you aren’t eating enough.