Cardio vs Weight Lifting

I argue with my dad wich activity is better for your health, not for looking good…just wich one is healthier. he sais that running is much better cause you work your cardiovascular system…, he is right but i still think that weight lifting is much healthier and useful for real life. Do you work your cardiovascular capacity,and improve overall health lifting weights?

[quote]joaco34 wrote:
I argue with my dad wich activity is better for your health, not for looking good…just wich one is healthier. he sais that running is much better cause you work your cardiovascular system…, he is right but i still think that weight lifting is much healthier and useful for real life. Do you work your cardiovascular capacity,and improve overall health lifting weights?[/quote]

Depends on how you run. Depends on how you lift weights.

Running 10 400 sprints every other day will make you 10 times the athlete bench pressing and leaving the gym twice weekly.

A developed weight lifting program done at a moderate intensity can have all the cardio vascular benefits your regular 5k runner gets but with bonus points for an attractive physique.

Moral of the story, it’s not that simple.

Both are good but I feel a good cardiovascular system is best for health idkjust my opinion because recently after I started lifting I noticed a change in my cardiovascular endurance I’ve did muay Thai for 5+ years and I would say I was in really good shape due to long pad sessions and cardio training but I wanted to start and gain weight so I did a bulkiing program and gained weight but found myself feeling sluggish and full all the time due to my calorie intake being bigger than usual. Idk tho just my 2 cents interesting topic tho :slight_smile:

If by “health” we mean reducing the risk of common, preventable illnesses, I would say the following should be your top priorities, in no particular order:

Walk for at least 30 minutes each day at a brisk pace.

Eat less food than you feel hungry for and focus on fresh produce and a moderate amount of lean protein.

Get adequate, regular sleep.

Sit in a heels down, full depth squat for a total of at least 10 minutes each day.

Live somewhere with clean air and water. Get lots of both.

Have a well developed social network of family and friends and be involved in your community.

Manage your psychological stress and find a way to enjoy your work.

“Fitness” is a whole other question.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
If by “health” we mean reducing the risk of common, preventable illnesses, I would say the following should be your top priorities, in no particular order:

Walk for at least 30 minutes each day at a brisk pace.

Eat less food than you feel hungry for and focus on fresh produce and a moderate amount of lean protein.

Get adequate, regular sleep.

Sit in a heels down, full depth squat for a total of at least 10 minutes each day.

Live somewhere with clean air and water. Get lots of both.

Have a well developed social network of family and friends and be involved in your community.

Manage your psychological stress and find a way to enjoy your work.

“Fitness” is a whole other question.[/quote]

Very much this. Both running and lifting are overrated when it comes to health; also, both are pretty good ways to fuck up your health if you push too hard.