Cardio Vs. No Cardio

As I stated in my OP (Back in the gym), I have had good sucess in the gym dispite the shoulder rehabing and being careful, I worry about injury. I am on a good 5 x 5 work out( I’ll defer the details) we all know a 5 x 5, and it has gone great thus far I missed the gym! I am loooking some input here.

I am still trying to knock off that last 10 lbs, I have lost 5 lbs since starting 3 weeks ago, I was adding cardio in on my off days.

Some have said " Don’t" That if I work hard on my gym days I’ll loose the weight. I was 205 when I started, i am now 198 lbs. diet has helped as well.
Thanks for any feed back.

Like everything else… it depends. You can argue it either way.

Most cardio really doesn’t burn that many calories and studies have shown that most people eat a little bit more when they do cardio and that “little bit more” is almost always exactly the same amount of calories that were burned in the cardio session. If you do cardio, you still have to be strict with your diet that you don’t unconsciously allow yourself those extra calories.

It’s also hard to tell how many calories you’re actually burning. Most of the machines that tell you how many calories you’ve burned are wrong. But let’s say that you work out for an hour 3x per week and that burns about 300 calories per session and about 900 calories per week. I think that’s about normal. IIRC, 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. So, 3 hours and you’ve worked a little over a quarter of a pound of fat off. Over a month, that’s an extra pound of fat (assuming that you’re just losing fat, which is a bad assumption.)

To me that doesn’t seem like a lot of bang for your buck when you can get a similar effect by just not eating that 900 calories over the course of the week.

On the other hand, every little bit helps when you’re dieting. And you can always do more cardio and you can always do more intense cardio and get more weight loss. If you’ve got the time and losing weight is your goal, this can be another tool to help you get there.

Have you thought about adding maybe just 10-15 minutes of a rowing machine at the end of your workout? Combine that with the sauna, and you’ll knock off another 5-10lbs in just a few weeks.

I don’t generally expect a lot of fat loss by doing cardio, although when I do it I do it on an empty stomch. But I do feel cardio is necessary for overall physical conditioning.

[quote]ProRaven wrote:
Have you thought about adding maybe just 10-15 minutes of a rowing machine at the end of your workout? Combine that with the sauna, and you’ll knock off another 5-10lbs in just a few weeks.[/quote]

You’re not suggesting the sauna will help fat loss are you?

Great feed back Pencil Neck and good info. That has been my feeling, I feel that my diet is the best solution. However I do like to run, But i’ll not do it during this training… It adds nothing to the work out, nor my overall weight management.

I’m not a Sauna kind of guy, I just don’t have the time to sit in steam. Maybe on vacation time.