Cardio That Hits Posterior Chain?

Tabata goblet squats lower my morning heart rate

[quote]alternate wrote:
Ok, just some points - doesn’t a treadmill (even an incline treadmill) take the glutes entirely out of the equation, because the movement of the belt pulls your leg back (extends it at the hip joint) so your glutes don’t have to? Unlike in normal walking where they DO have to.

Also, when using the stair machine, wouldn’t you need to take comically deep steps in order to involve the glutes? You would have to step so deep (or so high) that your thigh is way above parallel, and I don’t think most stair machines allow for steps that big, do they?

These complications would lead to both incline treadmill and stair master machines being very quad-dominant?[/quote]

Who cares if they are quad dominant? If you want to use a Stairmaster for some cardio, it’s not going to lead to a traumatic imbalance between your quads and your hamstrings. If you really want to emphasize your butt, just squeeze your ass on each step.

I don’t understand.

[quote]Obisidian wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Ok, just some points - doesn’t a treadmill (even an incline treadmill) take the glutes entirely out of the equation, because the movement of the belt pulls your leg back (extends it at the hip joint) so your glutes don’t have to? Unlike in normal walking where they DO have to.

Also, when using the stair machine, wouldn’t you need to take comically deep steps in order to involve the glutes? You would have to step so deep (or so high) that your thigh is way above parallel, and I don’t think most stair machines allow for steps that big, do they?

These complications would lead to both incline treadmill and stair master machines being very quad-dominant?[/quote]

Who cares if they are quad dominant? If you want to use a Stairmaster for some cardio, it’s not going to lead to a traumatic imbalance between your quads and your hamstrings. If you really want to emphasize your butt, just squeeze your ass on each step.

I don’t understand.[/quote]

No, we’re already imbalanced. Probably 99% of people are in anterior pelvic tilt from spending too much time sitting on their ass (a quad dominant activity)

I need a form of cardio that will reverse this by actually being imbalanced, but imbalanced towards the posterior chain.

For the same reason I don’t work out my chest at all - I spend all my time doing weighted chins, lat pulldowns, rows of all varieties and reverse flies - because sitting is pec dominant, and I need my exercise to be imbalanced in the opposite direction.

With lower body strength training I am already emphasizing the posterior chain.

But for cardio, will stair master really be posterior-chain dominant enough to offset a day of sitting?

Running on even ground is actually posterior chain dominant if you do it with good form.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Running on even ground is actually posterior chain dominant if you do it with good form.[/quote]

This.

How the hell is jogging/running/sprinting quad dominant? Because I even get sore hamstrings after WALKING 10km.

Try the step machine (not stairs, stepper).

If you bend forward at the waist a bit to create some tension in the hams while limiting knee bend (almost feels like you are locking your knees), you can really zero in on your glutes and hams. The length of the steps will be short because you’ll be limiting knee bend.

You’ll obviously be leaning on the handles for this.

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Running on even ground is actually posterior chain dominant if you do it with good form.[/quote]

This.

How the hell is jogging/running/sprinting quad dominant? Because I even get sore hamstrings after WALKING 10km.[/quote]

It’s the treadmill equivalent of walking/jogging that I’m guessing might be quad dominant because the treadmill pulls your thigh back for you so your glutes don’t have to.

Jogging outside right now isn’t really an option because of the sub zero temperatures and the pavements being all iced over.

Will jogging on an incline treadmill be posterior-chain dominant if using ‘perfect form’? What even is perfect form for that!?

[quote]alternate wrote:
Will jogging on an incline treadmill be posterior-chain dominant if using ‘perfect form’? What even is perfect form for that!?[/quote]

An incline tends to put more pressure on the quads. Good form… Compare an olympic sprinter to an overweight person who just started jogging. One of the major issues with long-distance running is that many people do not have enough strength and endurance to do it properly so they drag themselves forward, striking the ground with their heels first, feet barely leaving the ground… Perfect form for running would be a torso that is slightly bent forward, knees that drive the leg forward (instead of feet doing so), ground contact primarily with the balls of your feet and efficiently long strides.

So, would the stair-master put emphasis on quads just like the incline treadmill?

Not to purposely argue with you, but usually, the glute activation cue is to pull through the heel, right? And the quad activation cue is to push through the ball of the foot. You described it the other way around - is it the other way around with running?

Running is a movement where the foot moves back. Squatting and deadlifting are movements where (relative to the hip) the foot moves down. Big difference.
running on the balls of your feet instead of the heel is mainly for joint health - hitting the hard floor with your heel directs the impact straight to your joints; try doing this barefoot on a tarred road and you’ll know what I mean.
Generally speaking, the more your feet are busy moving back = propelling your body forward, the more the hamstrings get to do the work; the closer your movement gets to vertical, the more quad dominant it becomes. Yes, running stairs, steep hills etc - all of these are quad dominant.

However, I would like to point out one important issue: strength imbalances created by resistance training should ideally be dealt with by changing your resistance training. Cardio is cardio, not pre-hab/rehab work.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Running is a movement where the foot moves back. Squatting and deadlifting are movements where (relative to the hip) the foot moves down. Big difference.
running on the balls of your feet instead of the heel is mainly for joint health - hitting the hard floor with your heel directs the impact straight to your joints; try doing this barefoot on a tarred road and you’ll know what I mean.
Generally speaking, the more your feet are busy moving back = propelling your body forward, the more the hamstrings get to do the work; the closer your movement gets to vertical, the more quad dominant it becomes. Yes, running stairs, steep hills etc - all of these are quad dominant.

However, I would like to point out one important issue: strength imbalances created by resistance training should ideally be dealt with by changing your resistance training. Cardio is cardio, not pre-hab/rehab work.[/quote]

I know, every little helps though. My resistance training is already heavily (exclusively) skewed towards upper back and posterior chain.

Since you spend so much time in a particular position in a cardio activity, it would probably be beneficial if that movement type was posterior chain dominant for overall postural re-programming.

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

However, I would like to point out one important issue: strength imbalances created by resistance training should ideally be dealt with by changing your resistance training. Cardio is cardio, not pre-hab/rehab work.[/quote]

I know, every little helps though. My resistance training is already heavily (exclusively) skewed towards upper back and posterior chain.

Since you spend so much time in a particular position in a cardio activity, it would probably be beneficial if that movement type was posterior chain dominant for overall postural re-programming.[/quote]

Running efficiently is the most natural posture there is. So yeah, do sprints; but warm up properly. (You would be surprised what they did to some people I know)

[quote]batman730 wrote:
My job requires me to frequently and repeatedly drag moderately heavy stuff (trees and such) over varying distances and often uphill as fast as I reasonably can. I find this to be very posterior chain dominant, excellent cardio and it is “going somewhere”.

Go to a tire shop. Get a big, old tire for free or next to. Drill a hole in the tread. Attach a rope/strap/handle etc. with a eye bolt and some washers. Load it up with heavy free stuff (i.e. rocks, sandbags etc.). Drag it around. Profit. Brief google search will yield simple instructions. While you’re at said tire shop get some old inner tubes for free and turn them into sand bags/goat bags.

Again, brief google search will show you how. Use goat bags for a variety loaded carries, swings etc. This will cost less than $30 and provide great training value while looking reasonably badass.

Or get a job dragging trees and such. I cannot really recommend this, though.[/quote]

I agree with this, dragging a tire with a rope or chain, is very taxing on the hamstrings/ass. especially if you bend forward at the hips while pulling.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:
My job requires me to frequently and repeatedly drag moderately heavy stuff (trees and such) over varying distances and often uphill as fast as I reasonably can. I find this to be very posterior chain dominant, excellent cardio and it is “going somewhere”.

Go to a tire shop. Get a big, old tire for free or next to. Drill a hole in the tread. Attach a rope/strap/handle etc. with a eye bolt and some washers. Load it up with heavy free stuff (i.e. rocks, sandbags etc.). Drag it around. Profit. Brief google search will yield simple instructions. While you’re at said tire shop get some old inner tubes for free and turn them into sand bags/goat bags.

Again, brief google search will show you how. Use goat bags for a variety loaded carries, swings etc. This will cost less than $30 and provide great training value while looking reasonably badass.

Or get a job dragging trees and such. I cannot really recommend this, though.[/quote]

I agree with this, dragging a tire with a rope or chain, is very taxing on the hamstrings/ass. especially if you bend forward at the hips while pulling.
[/quote]

For added effect, you can have someone beat your backside with a baseball bat while you do it too. I guarantee you’ll feel it from your upper back, through the entire posterior chain, to your calves the next day.

[quote]alternate wrote:
Most cardio we do promotes bad posture. Jogging = stress on quads, anterior pelvic tilt. [/quote]

Humans are running machines. It is one of the things we do best. Saying jogging is bad posture means you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

Instead of trying to find cardio that corrects an anterior pelvic tilt, why not just adopt better posture out of the gym? Two hours of cardio a week isn’t going to fix your posture.

[quote]Obisidian wrote:
Instead of trying to find cardio that corrects an anterior pelvic tilt, why not just adopt better posture out of the gym? Two hours of cardio a week isn’t going to fix your posture.[/quote]

I’m trying to do that as well.

But also, need to find a cardio movement that will help.

Is their any cardio that promotes a tilting to posterior pelvic tilt if you’re in anterior pelvic tilt? To do this, the cardio would have to lightly stress the glutes, hammies and abs, whilst lightly stretching the hip flexors, quads and low back…? Do some forms of swimming do this?

Thanks to those who suggested sprinting, but that is kind of not a cardio movement to me - I need to be able to do this cardio as a low intensity thing on non-lifting days.

I agree with others that you should correct anterior pelvic tilt by trying to maintain posture outside the gymm. What also helped me with it is strengthening the abdominals. I like reverse crunches. Re ‘posterior chain cardio’ I can think of a few that might not have been mentioned. backwards sled walks/runs,dumbbell swings .Just thinking out loud here but is jumping rope posterior chain?

[quote]law8 wrote:
I agree with others that you should correct anterior pelvic tilt by trying to maintain posture outside the gymm. What also helped me with it is strengthening the abdominals. I like reverse crunches. Re ‘posterior chain cardio’ I can think of a few that might not have been mentioned. backwards sled walks/runs,dumbbell swings .Just thinking out loud here but is jumping rope posterior chain?

I would have thought any sort of backwards sled pulling is quad dominant, as would be jump-rope, unless you squat to below parallel with every ‘hop’. I had reverse crunches in my routine for ages, but saw no reduction in anterior pelvic tilt, so I just to sets of RKC planks now.

I guess light kettlebell swings done for , like 20 minutes, are really the only option for steady-state cardio that will utilize the posterior chain to correct ‘office posture’, given that sprinting is not really traditional cardio. Even then, with the kettlebell swings you have to be so careful not to use any errector spinae at all, as you’ll just make your anterior pelvic tilt worse, not better.

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]law8 wrote:

I would have thought any sort of backwards sled pulling is quad dominant, as would be jump-rope, unless you squat to below parallel with every ‘hop’. I had reverse crunches in my routine for ages, but saw no reduction in anterior pelvic tilt, so I just to sets of RKC planks now.

I guess light kettlebell swings done for , like 20 minutes, are really the only option for steady-state cardio that will utilize the posterior chain to correct ‘office posture’, given that sprinting is not really traditional cardio. Even then, with the kettlebell swings you have to be so careful not to use any errector spinae at all, as you’ll just make your anterior pelvic tilt worse, not better.[/quote]

I’m not an expert with this stuff but with jumprope when someone is efficient at it then a slight “hop” from the calves is all that is needed to clear the floor. I don’t really feel it in my quads. With backward sled pulling I go up on my toes and drive backwards like that so feel it in my calves and hamtrings also. Sorry I could not be more of a help.