T Nation

Cardio Soundtrack

hey everybody,

i’m wondering if ya’ll have any ideas to complete my new cardio playlist? i have lots of upbeat and happy songs so far, and would like to find more in the same genre.

feel free to post your own lists too, this could be a fun thread with new music ideas.

my current list is this:

1. Devo - whip it

2. Queen - another one bites the dust

3. Talking Heads - burning down the
    house

4. ELO - don’t bring me down

5. Peter Gabriel - sledgehammer

6. Billy Idol - white wedding dress

7. Michael Jackson - thriller

8. Depeche Mode - personal jesus

9. Dexy’s Midnight Runners - come on
    eileen

10. Sting and the Police - Roxanne

fuck me that’s the worst list of music to listen to while doing cardio that I have ever seen.

Add some Titanic and Top Gun soundtracks to it along with some Elton John and Streisand and your Rainbow Warrior Compilation will be complete. Maybe throw yourself some NKOTB as a bonus.

LMAO - I love the responses.

Same thing crossed my mind when I read the songs.

Wow…you are so 80’s…I like that.

spill the blood- slayer

maybe i could load my ipod up with megadeath, pantera and some iron maiden? then i could be super hard!

or possibly a little 50 cent, DMX, Three six mafia… really just thug it.

i guess i outgrew the cool guy thing. eighties music has great beats for cardio. the songs are always upbeat, relatively fast paced and happy. sounds like a sweet cardio deal to me.

and rocky would kick triple x’s ass any day.

any ways, i’ve added:

A ha - take on me

Trio - da da da

Boys Don’t Cry - i want to be a cowboy

suggestions?

and i know ya’ll are checking these songs out right now, and digging them.

i don’t think the problem lies in the fact that the songs aren’t metal or rap, or even that they’re from the eighties: it’s just that they’re all completely gay.

You forgot, You Spin Me Right Round, it’s the perfect addition to your horrendous list. I sure hope you wear parachute pants when you do cardio.

[quote]throwloud wrote:
i don’t think the problem lies in the fact that the songs aren’t metal or rap, or even that they’re from the eighties: it’s just that they’re all completely gay.[/quote]

Hey, that’s offensive, I have a friend that listens to all of that stuff.

Actually, he was in his late teens and early 20’s in the eighties, and he is gay…Fair call then I guess!!

If you want to complete the list my friend suggested that you add in some Boy George, Wham and Culture Club

[quote]throwloud wrote:
i don’t think the problem lies in the fact that the songs aren’t metal or rap, or even that they’re from the eighties: it’s just that they’re all completely gay.[/quote]

For real. That list would make me feel like NOT lifting weights and going shoe shopping.

In my MP3 player right now without specific songs:

Mobb Deep
Redman and Methodman
DMX
a couple of songs from the “Stomp The Yard” soundtrack
POD
Breaking Benjamin
Saliva
a shitload of songs produced by Timberland
The Game
Evanescence
Public Enemy
Busta Rhymes
U2 (Elevation)
Nelly
Nas
Born Jamericans
Black Sheep
Nelly Furtado
songs from the Blade movies soundtrack
Akon
Linkin Park
and some other random shit

[quote]Helga wrote:
throwloud wrote:
i don’t think the problem lies in the fact that the songs aren’t metal or rap, or even that they’re from the eighties: it’s just that they’re all completely gay.

Hey, that’s offensive, I have a friend that listens to all of that stuff.

Actually, he was in his late teens and early 20’s in the eighties, and he is gay…Fair call then I guess!!

If you want to complete the list my friend suggested that you add in some Boy George, Wham and Culture Club[/quote]

Don’t forget some Patti Labell and whoever sang “It’s Raining Men”.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
hey everybody,

i’m wondering if ya’ll have any ideas to complete my new cardio playlist? i have lots of upbeat and happy songs so far, and would like to find more in the same genre.
[/quote]

YMCA by The Village People.

Couldn’t find room in there for Maddona or New kids on the block?

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Eddie Murphy- Party All The Time
Corey Hart- Sunglasses at Night
Died In Your Arms Tonight- Cutting Crew
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me- Culture Club
Everybody Have Fun Tonight- Wang Chung
I Want to Know What Love Is- Forgeiner
Total Eclipse of the Heart- Bonnie Tyler

That outta help you out…by the way, you ARE goofing, right?[/quote]

nope. but those songs don’t really help out at all. totally different style. more like:

bananarama - na na hey hey

The Proclaimers - 500 miles etc.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
throwloud wrote:

For real. That list would make me feel like NOT lifting weights and going shoe shopping.

Mobb Deep
Redman and Methodman
DMX
POD
Breaking Benjamin
Saliva
The Game
Evanescence
Public Enemy
Busta Rhymes
U2 (Elevation)
Nelly
Nas
Born Jamericans
Black Sheep
Nelly Furtado
Akon
Linkin Park

[/quote]

i guess some guys don’t need to hide behind angry music to feel manly and tough.

actually your stuff reminds of the skinny, wimpy, sensitive, intentionally different gothic kids from HS. sweet bro.

you are so hard with your music!

[quote]nikolo wrote:
You forgot, You Spin Me Right Round, it’s the perfect addition to your horrendous list. I sure hope you wear parachute pants when you do cardio.

[/quote]

that is a sweet song! thanks!

For some reason this thread reminds me of this scene from White Chicks. I could only find the Spanish version but it turns to English at 47 seconds when the song comes on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYFb-0oeRc

[quote]Professor X wrote:
throwloud wrote:

Mobb Deep
Redman and Methodman
DMX
POD
Breaking Benjamin
Saliva
The Game
Evanescence
Public Enemy
Busta Rhymes
U2 (Elevation)
Nelly
Nas
Born Jamericans
Black Sheep
Nelly Furtado
Akon
Linkin Park

[/quote]

Nice list. I just got Timbaland’s new album Shock Value this morning… Beats are incredible, some unexpected guests too like Fallout Boy.

Sticking to the subject…Sigh, I too am a child of the 80’s.

Here is an interesting article on why we like the music we do.

Just as there are “critical periods” for language acquisition, there appear to be critical periods for the acquisition of music listening. As children hear music, they develop neural systems -? schemas ? to capture the structural and tonal regularities of that music.

Beginning around age 10, as the brain’s mission shifts toward pruning out unused neural connections, musical tastes focus around the music we’re used to. At about age 12, music begins to serve a social bonding function and we use music to distinguish our social group from others: this is the kind of music people like us listen to, that music is for them.

As young teens, our musical tastes are further refined by what our friends are listening to. Most of us base our adult musical tastes on what we liked when we were 12 to16.

In some cases, through effort, we can expand our musical tastes as adults. But if we had relatively narrow tastes in our developing years, this is more difficult to do because we lack the appropriate schemas, or templates, with which to process and ultimately to understand new musical forms.

Daniel Levitin, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology and the McGill Program in Behavioural Neuroscience, holds the Bell Chair in the Psychology of Electronic Communication. His book, This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession (Dutton/Penguin), has been a top 100 seller at Amazon since it came out last month.

Anyways, here are some more ones for your list

Sexomatic -the Bar-kays
After the Fire -Der Komissar
Senses Working Overtime -XTC
Anything from the Cult
Relax -Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
Night and Day - Al B Sure

I have lots more ideas but will have to check my ipod.