T Nation

Cardio Question

I had my ways set in using HIIT for cardio first thing but after a small protein shake (no carbs). This has worked quite well. However many of the writers around here propose the old low intensity on an empty stomach. I was just wondering what everybody elses thoughts were?

First, honestly, the reason there is so much debate on this topic is because there are too many different variables from person to person. I have tried long (moderate, not low) intensity cardio and it worked for me. Over the usual course of about 3-4 months, I could get much leaner. I would also lose some size during the process, but not so much that it made dieting look like a failed practice.

I have also tried high intensity cardio for longer periods and lost more muscle mass in the long run.

I am trying combining (moderate) intensity cardio with HIIT now and it seems to be working for me. My average cardio in a week is about 4-5 times right now. That is about to increase, probably starting today. Over the last 3 weeks, I have dropped about 2% body fat and my lean body mass (which I thought was dropping fast) was easily added back on during a cheat day so it was obviously mostly water weight lost.

It also depends on where you are in development. I see many people on this forum more concerned with being lean than carrying any size at all. Your approach is based on your goals.