T Nation

cardio question.

im starting a new routine today and was wondering what would be the best time to perform cardio. Since my workouts take place in the morning should i perform cadio after my workout or later on that evening. thanks hardbody99.

You can do cardio after your training session in the morning or in the evening because the big factor is the cals that get burned, but I have found if your daily grind allows, to do cardio in the p.m. helps boost up metabolism later in the day and allows better use of your later meals.

I train at 5 a.m. and then do cardio around 6p.m before my last whole food meal.

Guru X

I know they say it is better to do cardio in the morning, but I have done both and couldn’t tell the difference.

I prefer to do my workouts in the pm as opposed to the am. However, I would always do cardio after my weights program because it helps clear any lactic acids and other bi-products of weight training that may be still in the muscles after weights. It helps recovery in this way.

thanks alot guys, very helpful.

It depends how intensive your weight training program is. If you’re working 2-3 body parts for 60 minutes, you’ll be a wreck by the time you get to the cardio and destroy yourself by adding an extra 20-30 minutes of cardio. You probably wont be looking forward to 90 minute workouts and you’ll probably burn out. Either split it up however you want or maybe save the post workout cardio for a cutting phase when you’re lifting heavier weights for a shorter duration to keep your total workout under 60 minutes.