Cardio, Post Workout

I am currently pressed for time as far as squeezing in a workout plus cardio. I have begun to do about 15-30 min of cardio directly after my lifting. Will this help or hender muscle growth/fat loss?

it is my impression that doign cardio after weight lifting is the best time to do it because you have already depleted your glycogen stores, so you will use more fat stores to fuel your body, i dont think it will hinder your muscle growth as long as your doing some sort of HIIT training and then eating/post workout shake right after, or i guess if you like the slow steady cardio drink a post workout shake right after lifting?

For sure betterv than before.

Hinder muscle growth maybe, hinder fat loss NO.

I do disagree with the other poster suggesting HIIT after a weights session NO. Low intensity would be your best bet just slow and low to use fat as fuel not trying to tap into your allready depleted glycogen which will then turn to muscle for that since there is NO or little glycogen. Save HIIT for a seperate day of many hours apart and a meal or two.

But sure if your goal is to try and keep the fat at bay a bit and just cardiovascular heatlh, do some low intensity cardio even walk home from the gym.

[quote]Kal-El wrote:
I am currently pressed for time as far as squeezing in a workout plus cardio. I have begun to do about 15-30 min of cardio directly after my lifting. Will this help or hender muscle growth/fat loss?[/quote]

What are you primarily trying to achieve, muscle growth or fat loss?

It’s extremely difficult to do both simulateously, at least not with some help from the genetics or pharmaceutical department.

While it might not make a HUGE difference, cardio done after training certainly won’t help your efforts at muscle growth, and will probably hinder it a bit.

If your goal is fat loss, however, and you don’t have any other time to squeeze it in, cardio after lifting will certainly help in your fat loss efforts.

I am attempting to loose some fat. I believe that I am up to around 22-28% BF and i am tired of the bulky fat. I want to loose about 20-25 lbs and then try and bring the muscle back up. What do you think?

wouldnt Surge PWO change the fact that you are glycogen depleted.

What I do is have a 60 gram protein isolate shake, no carbs or fat, about 30 minutes before my workout will end and then do cardio. After cardio I have another shake with 40 grams of protein and 50-70 grams of malto/dextrose. And never do cardio after quads.

[quote]E-man wrote:
What I do is have a 60 gram protein isolate shake, no carbs or fat, about 30 minutes before my workout will end and then do cardio. After cardio I have another shake with 40 grams of protein and 50-70 grams of malto/dextrose. And never do cardio after quads.[/quote]

I have found that 10 - 15 minutes of cardio after legs makes me considerably less sore. Feels like some of the lactic acid has been flushed out and I feel better going thru the rest of my day and even the next couple. I work legs to total failure once a week, and every time I am sore for at least 3 days after. I feel that a little cardio after helps me with this.