Cardio or Lifting for Obese Gym Beginner?

That’s phenomenal work man, well done.

1 Like

Don’t forget to work out at home! There’s a lot that can be achieved by just taking breaks from whatever you’re doing a few times a day to bang out a circuit of bodyweight exercises.

1 Like

So due to lack of time and shut down of local gyms, I decided to buy dumbells and an adjustable bench. The bench is just for general workouts, doesn’t have a barbell or holder in it. I bought 20 pound dumbells, which seem okay for chest Flys and curls, but not enough for chest pressing, tricep extensions, squats etc. Should I get a set of 35s for those things? It takes me so many reps to tire out on those workouts with 20 pounds. Wondering if 35s would do the trick. Also if anyone has a link to a good full body dumbell circuit that’d be nice. I’m currently doing strength training 3 times a week, and cardio 4 times a week. Just using a 30 minute HIIT cardio video on YouTube for the cardio part, so I’m good there, just want a bit more guidance on the strength training part. Yes I know I could buy adjustable dumbells, and in the future I will but for the first little while as I ease into it and get a routine going, I’m fine using just a lighter and heavier dumbell set. When I need more weight I’ll look into adjustables. At home my only option is dumbells and body weight due to lack of space.

1 Like

You can check out @kleinhound s log for some ideas on DB workouts, he had a stint a while back when he was doing that. Here’s the first one I Am The One Who Knocks - #1755 by kleinhound

You will be able to crush yourself with a light pair of dumbbells more that you would believe haha

You think the 20 pounds would work for me? If so I’ll save the money, I am pretty sore from the few workouts I’ve done. Big thing is no chest burn, I’ve watched videos and think I’m doing it properly but still not getting much chest fatigue when doing chest press. I’m gonna check out some of your posts later. Also it’s been almost 3 days and I’m still sore, can I still work out? I’d like to but don’t want to hurt myself or waste time of its not effective.

Yeah, if you’re just trying to build some muscle you’ll be fine. Obviously you won’t build tree trunks without heavy weight but for some development and weight loss you’ll be sweet

Single leg work will be your best friend. You’ll get stability and a better workout with your weight

Yeah being sore is fine, being hurt is bad. Ease into a workout and see how you go. Often I’ll feel better after working out if I was sore to start with

Okay you’re right, I looked up a 30 minute full body workout on YouTube last night, and those 20s whipped my ass lol. Although still no chest burn so I may get 35s for chest press still. I’m pretty sure my form is right and everything, not sure why it’s not working my chest.

How competent are you in the pushup and all its variations?

I know of the ones that most people know. Wide grip push up, diamond, standard, that’s all. I can hardly do a proper pushup after gaining alot of my weight back.Tonight I’ll try a few pushup variations and see how my chest feels.

You can develop plenty of strength and muscle that way, especially if you’re not already strong in them/carrying around some extra weight. Elevate your hands on something to do high-rep sets. You’ll feel your chest.

1 Like

If you can get your hands on a set of bands, I highly recommend them - you can replicate any movement, they can crush you, and you’ll still use when you are able to get back into a gym (and they’re easy to travel with). This scenario has reminded me how useful these are as a tool.

2 Likes

I just did what’s called ‘death by’ squats
You pick an exercise and do a rep per minute
The catch is that you add an extra rep each minute
Eg. 1 rep minute 1, 2 reps minute 2 and so on
Your rest periods will decrease as you do more and more reps

I did squats today and 25 minutes crushed me. Once you get over 10 minutes the reps start adding up quick

3 Likes

Burpees are excellent as are pushups

Nope. Incorrect.

2 Likes