T Nation

Cardio on a Bulk to Maintain BF%

any suggestions? i do not want it bring me into catabolism.
im just wondering about duration intensity and frequency.

I think you are going on a false pretense, that cardio loses fat directly.
You could just cut the extra food if it is adding too much fat.
Why eat it and then have to work it off?

I think if your planning on doing cardio to maintain BF you won’t gain as much musle becasue the calories are going to fuel your cardio sessions and not build muscle

If you are REALLY intent on not gain as much muscle as possible then this is an option i suppose!

Don’t get me wrong, you will gain muscle if you eat above maintenance, but doing the cardio will drop you down closer to maintenance and maybe, justmaybe below it.

• Phoenix Theory

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Why eat it and then have to work it off?[/quote]

G-Flux.

I’ve found my body grows better when I am eating even more, and doing mandatory cardio to get my calorie level back down.

OP, 15-20 minutes, 2-3x a week can be a starting point, and then see how you adjust from there.

[quote]Phoenix Theory wrote:
I think if your planning on doing cardio to maintain BF you won’t gain as much musle becasue the calories are going to fuel your cardio sessions and not build muscle

If you are REALLY intent on not gain as much muscle as possible then this is an option i suppose!

Don’t get me wrong, you will gain muscle if you eat above maintenance, but doing the cardio will drop you down closer to maintenance and maybe, justmaybe below it.

• Phoenix Theory[/quote]

If you are going to do cardio on a bulk because you are gaining too much fat, than you may be able to increase your calories even further to offset the change. I’ve said many times before, I have been cycling 20 miles a day to work and back, while increasing calories a further 800-1000 a day.

Something about eating more and than working off the excess that my body seems to be loving.

Cardio improves recovery, helps nutrient partitioning and will keep your metabolism high.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Phoenix Theory wrote:

• Phoenix Theory

If you are going to do cardio on a bulk because you are gaining too much fat, than you may be able to increase your calories even further to offset the change. I’ve said many times before, I have been cycling 20 miles a day to work and back, while increasing calories a further 800-1000 a day.

Something about eating more and than working off the excess that my body seems to be loving.

Cardio improves recovery, helps nutrient partitioning and will keep your metabolism high.[/quote]

Oh don’t get my wrong! I agree with you.

But i thoght the OP wa doing the cardio on the premise that he would still be able to build the same amount of muscle wihtout gaining the fat.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
eigieinhamr wrote:

G-Flux.

I’ve found my body grows better when I am eating even more, and doing mandatory cardio to get my calorie level back down.

OP, 15-20 minutes, 2-3x a week can be a starting point, and then see how you adjust from there.[/quote]

Do you do plain-old steady state or HIIT?

HIIT is the way to go. CV is good for certain things but saw goodbye to lean mass

[quote]bones864 wrote:
HIIT is the way to go. CV is good for certain things but saw goodbye to lean mass[/quote]

You guys put it as if running at the same pace for more than 3 minutes will make muscles dissapear. Everything’s not so black and white, all that matters is monitoring your intensity. If you go too intensively without the calories to back it up, you might of course strip lean body mass no matter if you jog or sprint.

Whatever cardio you do, just make sure you don’t fall into a caloric deficit and you won’t lose anything. I know teen hockey players that don’t weight lift at all and have amazing bodies, yet all they do is cardio.

Low intensity 3 days a week 30 minutes(preferably off days) before breakfast… it just might work.

I also think the muscle wasting side effect of SS cardio is more obvious when you are lean and therefore have more muscle (read: amino acids) to spare in the form of immediate energy, as a preference of your body to stored adipose tissue.

Above 20%? Go for the SS cardio. Or, if you do 1-2 bouts a week of HIIT, top it off with 20-30 min of SS.

But, since most people go low-carb to lose the excess fat, that type of diet is supposedly not the best for trying to do HIIT. In that case, try fasted morning cardio for 30 min (bump up to 45) 3x a week. See how you feel.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
eigieinhamr wrote:

G-Flux.

OP, 15-20 minutes, 2-3x a week can be a starting point, and then see how you adjust from there.

Do you do plain-old steady state or HIIT?[/quote]

Since I cycle to work, in the morning it’s before I’ve had any food and probably 5 min slow but the speeds vary.

In the afternoon I’ve had plenty to eat so I have a lot more energy - this means my cycles are a lot more intense.

HIT is not good for bulking. To be more precise, it is an option for very experienced lifters with a solid running background.

The bulking cardio part is about health, increased metabolism & better digestion, regeneration.
And GFlux is also very real, an increased but balanced caloric intake is good for athletes, as long as they get proper regeneration.

On the other hand, sprints are harder then most people think they are. Someone who’s occasionally running in the woods is kidding himself if he thinks he’ll profit from sprinting a few times round the park. Practically all aforementioned benefits go out the window while stress is increased, which piles on top of the vast amount of Iron our bulker lifts.

Last point. To reap the benefits of either HIT or steady state, it has do be done fairly regularly. HIT is hard and unforgiving, this can seriously affect your training in many ways (eg lifting with less energy, motivation). You’ll also be amazed how quickly sprints can get sloppier through skipping them a few times, not so much with steady state.
The tradmill/woods will always embrace you.

OP, how fat are you? How well has you bulk gone thus far? How young are you?

If you think your gaining too much fat with the bulk, either cut carbs from one of your meals or get a little more active by picking a cardio you know you’ll do twice a week.

It doesn’t have to be either HIIT or SS, fuckin’ use em both if you want. Hell, you could run 10 20m sprints.

will try to absorb the information here in a bit-

for now, i am 177lbs at 16%, maybe 17% now. 19 yr old. I was about 175 last Wednesday, so it seems like too big a jump for weight (2lb in 5 days). hoping to get close to 190 by December.
I only ask this cardio question because i don’t want to end up being 20% because i messed up on bulk (overeating) and not doing anything about it. hope that makes sense.

i carb more on lifting days, in meals after workout.
otherwise i am pretty low carb with most coming from breakfast in fruits/oats/smidgeon of juice.

Why don’t you try it for a few weeks and see how it works for you?

[quote]kickureface wrote:
will try to absorb the information here in a bit-

for now, i am 177lbs at 16%, maybe 17% now. 19 yr old. I was about 175 last Wednesday, so it seems like too big a jump for weight (2lb in 5 days). hoping to get close to 190 by December.
I only ask this cardio question because i don’t want to end up being 20% because i messed up on bulk (overeating) and not doing anything about it. hope that makes sense.

i carb more on lifting days, in meals after workout.
otherwise i am pretty low carb with most coming from breakfast in fruits/oats/smidgeon of juice.[/quote]

Did you play a sport in high school? Pick up basketball/hockey/soccer once a week and you’re golden. Oh yeah, and keep eating big.

"177lbs at 16%, maybe 17% now. 19 yr old.

Sweet Satan, not again!

First, you’re a beginner. Go to the appropriate forum.
And you’re overweight. An overweight beginner should definitely not bulk.
Third; you shall not overcomplicate things:

[quote]“I was about 175 last Wednesday, so it seems like too big a jump for weight…” [/quote] This is what skinny girls do.
As someone approaching 20% fat, chances are, you’re not into sports:
HEED DANEQ’S ADVICE AND START A SPORT WHERE YOU’RE CHASING ACROSS A FIELD. Or try to get good at running, swimming whatever.
The point is: at your age, you’re still building the foundation of how you look, feel and function for the rest of your life. Weight training is a good sport, also for weight loss, when done right, but you don’t seem to have the prerequisites/genes, nor the knowledge;
a high caloric diet with heavy weights will not result in fat loss tomorrow when nothing happened so far.
So an additional cardio-related sport is your best choice.

Since when is 16/17% bodyfat “overweight”?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Since when is 16/17% bodyfat “overweight”?[/quote]

I suppose when abercrombie started taking over the world…