Cardio is Good, Why All the Hate?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]prometheus1 wrote:
Is it really sensible to completely skip cardio because it purportedly can make you gain 20 grams less of lean muscle mass, and forgo all of these benefits it DOES give?:

• Increase in exercise tolerance
  • Reduction in body weight
  • Reduction in blood pressure
  • Reduction in bad (LDL and total) cholesterol
  • Increase in good (HDL) cholesterol
  • Increase in insulin sensitivity
  • Promotes high quality sleep (recovery is important for muscle gain too)
  • Improved immune system
  • Lower resting heart rate and recovery during exercise[/quote]
    Properly programmed weight training and a good nutrition plan can deliver those exact same benefits, no cardio required.

Aerobic training isn’t “necessary”. “Necessary” is a very tricky and context-specific word when it comes to any type of exercise.[/quote]

To add to this, I can’t think of many “xxx is good” phrases that are universally true, if any. “xxx is good” for who? For what goal? Under what circumstance?[/quote]

oxygen?[/quote]

This presupposes a goal of wanting to live.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Is it really sensible to completely skip cardio because it purportedly can make you gain 20 grams less of lean muscle mass, and forgo all of these benefits it DOES give?:

• Improved immune system
    Properly programmed weight training and a good nutrition plan can deliver those exact same benefits, no cardio required.

Aerobic training isn’t “necessary”. “Necessary” is a very tricky and context-specific word when it comes to any type of exercise.[/quote]

To add to this, I can’t think of many “xxx is good” phrases that are universally true, if any. “xxx is good” for who? For what goal? Under what circumstance?[/quote]

oxygen?[/quote]

[/quote]

touché

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

• Improved immune system

oxygen?[/quote]

If you’d like some oxygen in your blood stream, I’ve got a syringe of it right here. Just sign the release forms and we’ll get right to it.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

• Improved immune system

oxygen?[/quote]

If you’d like some oxygen in your blood stream, I’ve got a syringe of it right here. Just sign the release forms and we’ll get right to it.[/quote]

haha, I have plenty syringes of my own.

Apparently that thing with the syringe of oxygen is an urban myth anyway, disappointingly.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

• Improved immune system

oxygen?[/quote]

[/quote]

Depends. More oxygen means more oxidative damage through free radicals. Slow death = sooooo emo.