T Nation

Cardio Incorporation Into Size Gains

So right now I am working on gaining strength and size. I have been training on and off for a few years now but have taken the last 4 months or so off. My current program consists of 3 training days and 1 rest day. The workouts are split up as follows:
Chest/tris
Back/bis
Shoulders/legs
rest

I do the whole supplement, protein, and eat right thing. It is not the actual size and strength gains that i am worried about. The problem is i have a very quick metabolism and therefor it is VERY difficult for me to gain weight (although i do with the new food and protein additions to my diet).

My question is how can i incorporate a cardio workout (whether it be running, cycling, whatever) and working on my endurace/cardio without screwing with my weight gains which are extremely difficult as it is?

[quote]GDwarrior wrote:

My question is how can i incorporate a cardio workout (whether it be running, cycling, whatever) and working on my endurace/cardio without screwing with my weight gains which are extremely difficult as it is?[/quote]

Seems pretty simple: eat more. That’s how you can do cardio and not screw up your weight gaining.

I know and that’s what im doing since it is so hard for me to gain weight to begin with im already eating as much as i can.

To rephrase my question: how often should i do cardio? What type of cardio should i do? How should i fit it into my workout as to not do too much/too little as well as not mess with my leg workout (running on the same day i do an intense leg workout doesnt seem too efficient)

Basically you have to use the principal eat more then you burn. I also had a high metabolism and was able to eat as much as I want and I couldnt gain a pound. Then I started eating like a bodybuilder would eat and I put on size pretty quikly. The problem that I had was putting on fat as well. Do maintence cardio twice a week. Before your work-outs do a 20 min run or a 20 min walk just to burn some fat. If your trying to gain weight you should be taking in 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per body pound and you should be eating between 6-8 meals a day. Post a typical day of your diet if you can.

can skip for sets of 50reps or sets of time at the end of ur workouts.Will be hard initially but it puts you in very good shape quickly without having to spend too much time on cardio.Same goes for sprints and diffent circuits u can use.

If your number one goal is to get bigger and stronger I wouldn’t do cardio at all.

If you’re training for a particular sport or just want to be in good shape, do high intensity interval training at the end of your weight lifting. That is: sprint for 1 min, jog for 1 min, repeat 8-12 times. Train for power.

On leg day, you could instead finish out with some metabolic resistance training:
10 explosive push-ups
10 jump squats, rest 10s
9 explosive squats
9 jump squats, rest 10s

1 explosive pushups
1 jump squat, done (or repeat it if you’re awesome)

This will give you a premier “cardio” workout.

For god’s sake don’t jog for 20 minutes…such a waste of time.