T Nation

Cardio Immiedietly After Lift

What are your opinions about doing cardio right after a lifting session? I’ve always stayed away from it so I could go get Surge and food in my body. However, now that I’m back at school I’m pressed for time so it might be the best option. Thanks for your input.

-E

My wife and I do cardio immediately after we lift. There are many opinions on it but we do it out of convenience. I have also read a few times here that it could possibly deplete more gycogen thus enhancing uptake of goodies in Surge and creatine. I don’t know about that, but it works well for us.

I sip my Surge during cardio and slam the rest of it when we are done. We then go home and follow it up with a meal.

Christopher

I don’t know how anybody can run after lifting. I can just about walk out to my car after a lifting session. If I’m doing squats, I feel too nauseous. So I do short sessions of HIIT cardio on my off days.

The theory is that you have burned up glycogen stores during your lifting session and the calories burned from cardio post weight training are more likely pulled from fat stores. I have done it in the past with good results dropping fat while using HOT-ROX.

D

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
I don’t know how anybody can run after lifting. I can just about walk out to my car after a lifting session. If I’m doing squats, I feel too nauseous. So I do short sessions of HIIT cardio on my off days.[/quote]

I am currently sidelined with two ruptured discs and am limited to light weight upper body and cardio. So that makes it easier for me. It isn’t easy, but my wife does it. Before my ruptured discs I did it also.

We don’t run for our cardio. We do elliptical, recumbent bike, or cross trainer. There are times we will go flip a tire, drag a sled, or beat the tire with something. Honestly that gets me more blown up than a cardio machine. :slight_smile:

We also find that while it is hard to follow up heavy lifting with cardio, it aids in recovery. And I totally agree with finding it hard to walk out to the car.

Christopher

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
I don’t know how anybody can run after lifting. I can just about walk out to my car after a lifting session. If I’m doing squats, I feel too nauseous. So I do short sessions of HIIT cardio on my off days.[/quote]

I have never felt extremely nauseous after squatting, but I have felt a little shaky. And at the risk of sounding like a commercial, I can honestly say that reduced substantially since starting pre, during, and post workout Surge/protein shakes.

Approximately an hour prior to my workout I have a shake with 16 ounces of water, two scoops of protein powder, and a half cup of oatmeal.

During my workout I sip my Surge and slam the rest at the end of the workout. For my Surge I use 32 ounces of water, three scoops of Surge, and one scoop of protein powder.

I started adding the extra scoop of protein powder on a recommendation from Thib and have been quite pleased with the results. Also, before I slam the remainder, I add in a scoop of creatine.

Christopher

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

I know you have been lifting since the Stones toured with Ike and Tina, but I disagree with your call. It boils down to conditioning and I have done cardio many times after intense squat or dead sessions.

D

The decision is goal based. Most people trying to gain mass don’t need to do cardio that often, so putting it right after your workout seems silly. Do like Momma said and do it on your off days only. If you’re concerned about fat gain take a look at your diet first, worry about cardio second.

If you’re cutting, then I guess it wouldn’t hurt to do it after your workout.

Lots of good info on this thread, personally since last summer reading here about the glycogen stores, stopped doing my 20 minute warmup cardio before lifitng, and instead do ~20 minutes of interval running afterwards.

Sure it’s tough, especially after squatting … sometimes I almost fall off the treadmill at around 12-15 minutes.

I think if you keep it to only around 20 minutes or so, it shouldn’t interfere with the effect of Surge. I however usually have a tough time forcing the post workout drink down my throat after a tough lifting session, followed by interval running (jogging/sprinting 1min/1min).

I think cardio after lifting is very good. You have already depleted glycogen during your lifting and it lets your body get into fat burning mode quicker. As far as getting your Surge in, I believe the post-workout window is usually 1-2 hours for increased uptake.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
I don’t know how anybody can run after lifting. I can just about walk out to my car after a lifting session. If I’m doing squats, I feel too nauseous. So I do short sessions of HIIT cardio on my off days.

I know you have been lifting since the Stones toured with Ike and Tina, but I disagree with your call. It boils down to conditioning and I have done cardio many times after intense squat or dead sessions.

D [/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! True. All that hard living has finally caught up with me. Or maybe I’m just getting old.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:

D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! True. All that hard living has finally caught up with me. Or maybe I’m just getting old.

[/quote]

Maybe just older and better kinda like a good wine. :slight_smile:

D

Thanks for all the good advice. I’ll give the post-workout spot a try for a few weeks or until I get better settled in my schedule. Thanks again!

Ethan

Would this be counter-productive for someone trying to bulk? I was under the impression that cardio, being inherently catabolic, after training was deleterious for someone trying to add muscle.

[quote]kevbo wrote:
Would this be counter-productive for someone trying to bulk? I was under the impression that cardio, being inherently catabolic, after training was deleterious for someone trying to add muscle.[/quote]

Yes sir, it stand to reason if you are bulking you minimize any unnecessary cardio or activity for that matter especially if one struggles to add muscle mass. If you still want to do cardio when bulking for health benefits it should be minimal (HIT) and done on non weight training days. That is what I advocate at least.

D

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice. I’ll give the post-workout spot a try for a few weeks or until I get better settled in my schedule. Thanks again!

Ethan[/quote]

Cool. Let us know how it goes.