Cardio/HIIT Post Workout Nutrition?

So after finally discovering T-Nation and reading Berardi’s excellent piece on post workout nutrition I finally grasp how important it is. I’m just sorry I didn’t find this site sooner!

But what about post cardio or HIIT workout nutrition? In his article he explained athletes might need to consume the same formula of nutrients several times after a workout. Personally I’m worried that this amount of carbs will screw my diet. I’m trying to comply to the T-Dawg diet and there’s not much room for carbs there and on some days I do 2 or 3 workouts. How can I ensure I won’t be throwing away built up muscle by doing HIIT or other forms of cardio?

BTW I just put my first order of Low-Carb Grow!, Surge and a box of those Grow! bars in. Can’t wait :slight_smile:

A hard HIIT or sprint workout should be treated as a session of lifting, consuming one serving of PWO drink (Surge!) immediately afterwards.

Low intensity cardio need not be treated the same way. Just eat normally afterwards.

That Jared guy is on … again.

I wouldn’t get too anal about carb intake around (before/during/post) exercise, even if it is cardio or especially if it is HIIT. Tailor your intake more on your overall goals.

If you are trying to get bigger and stronger, err on the more side.

If you are trying to lose fat, err on the less side. If you are going this route, compensate for the increased carbs through the remainder of your diet. Note how Shugart’s VD (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) does this.

Bastard!

pradaboy,
I, too need to remind myself that although it looks like a lot to me these days, getting in 50-100g high-G.I. (fast acting) carbs immediately post-lifting and again about 60-90 min. post-workout is important for muscle fullness and energy for tomorrow’s training (glycogen).

Of course, we need to stay aware of the total kcal balance of the workout (kcal expended - kcal consumed). I like the quote:

[quote]
If you are trying to get bigger and stronger, err on the more side. If you are trying to lose fat, err on the less side. [/quote]