Cardio Help.

I am new to weight training. I went through a couple routines and finally came accross one that I like. I train on a 3 day upper/lower/upper split. With having goals for fat loss also I Try and do cardio on the days in between my weight training.

The reason I say try is because cardio just does not come easy for me. I understand that cardio isn’t everybodys favorite but is essential too develop a good physique. I for some reason get chest pains and pains in my legs after only 5 minutes of running.

I am in the military so my running choice is the treadmill. There are other machines such as the bike and the eliptical. I choose to use the treadmill so that I could do Interval training. I just need some ideas as to why I feel this way from running. I have been to the doctor and there is nothing wrong with my legs, the chest pains I dont really know.

also is it a bad idea to do abs on my days off from weight training?

[quote]underoath813 wrote:
[snip]
The reason I say try is because cardio just does not come easy for me. I understand that cardio isn’t everybodys favorite but is essential too develop a good physique. I for some reason get chest pains and pains in my legs after only 5 minutes of running.

I am in the military so my running choice is the treadmill. There are other machines such as the bike and the eliptical. I choose to use the treadmill so that I could do Interval training. I just need some ideas as to why I feel this way from running. I have been to the doctor and there is nothing wrong with my legs, the chest pains I dont really know.
[/quote]
IANAD, but I think, even more so than leg pains, chest pain is something to discuss with your doctor.

That said, maybe you need to build up to it. If you’re in the military, I assume you have some history of running, but if it’s been 20 years since you’ve had to do a training run, maybe you’re just pushing yourself too hard to start with. Start with brisk walking, upping the incline as much as you need to make it challenging without giving yourself a serious cardiac event. Or, maybe you’re fit enough to run, but you just need to start out slower.

Finally, and assuming that none of what I’ve said above is relevant, sometimes the first part of the run is just hard. I thought this was just me, because I’m not really a runner or much of an athlete, but then some people who are both told me that they, too, have to push themselves through the first 10 minutes, or so and then it gets better. Not all runners feel this way, of course, but it seems like it’s not uncommon.

How bout some stats? Age, height, weight?

Stats are 5’10", 154 Lbs, bodyfat around 7%

[quote]marza wrote:
underoath813 wrote:
[snip]
The reason I say try is because cardio just does not come easy for me. I understand that cardio isn’t everybody favorite but is essential too develop a good physique. I for some reason get chest pains and pains in my legs after only 5 minutes of running.

IANAD, but I think, even more so than leg pains, chest pain is something to discuss with your doctor.

That said, maybe you need to build up to it. If you’re in the military, I assume you have some history of running, but if it’s been 20 years since you’ve had to do a training run, maybe you’re just pushing yourself too hard to start with. Start with brisk walking, upping the incline as much as you need to make it challenging without giving yourself a serious cardiac event. Or, maybe you’re fit enough to run, but you just need to start out slower.

Finally, and assuming that none of what I’ve said above is relevant, sometimes the first part of the run is just hard. I thought this was just me, because I’m not really a runner or much of an athlete, but then some people who are both told me that they, too, have to push themselves through the first 10 minutes, or so and then it gets better. Not all runners feel this way, of course, but it seems like it’s not uncommon.
[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. For god sakes if your having chest pains while doing cardio consult a physician not a bunch of guys on an internet forum.