Cardio Endurance W/O Muscle Loss?

Hey I need to get my cardio up for sporting reasons. I know sprints are the best, but I’m in minnesota and everything is covered in snow. Only option I have is a treadmill.

How can I maximize my cardio efforts without shriveling into that ‘runners body’?

Assuming you are combining with lifting program, short cardio session of 30 minutes or less — and maybe try mit (medium intensity interval training) if you start feeling overtrained rather than HIIT (high intensity interval training).

You can do HIIT with the treadmill. Raise the incline as much as possible and speed it up to the desired level. It will kick your ass.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
Hey I need to get my cardio up for sporting reasons. I know sprints are the best, but I’m in minnesota and everything is covered in snow. Only option I have is a treadmill.

How can I maximize my cardio efforts without shriveling into that ‘runners body’?[/quote]

Covered in snow? Why wouldn’t walking through the snow be a good idea? It’s somewhat like sled dragging.

Tabatas for cardio - treadmill, concept rower, exercise bicycle - whatever you like.

You can do a decent amount of cardio, but you will need to offer a strong stimulus/reason for your body to maintain its muscle mass. You will also need to make sure you are getting frequent nutrition that includes protein. Some carbs like an hour before your cardio will aid in giving a better energy option to your body.

long as your not dieting your not going to lose muscle unless your doing over 30 consecutive minutes a day of intense cardio.

Jump rope.

Rugby own,
Do sprints on the treadmill…try it by doing like 20-30 seconds sprints followed by 40-60 second jogs. This type of training is very tough if you make sure to crank the treadmill speed up to an uncomfortable level…some of the old soviet journals wrote about this type of training it’s called fartlek training and their wrestlers used to use this type of training sometimes.

kettlebell swings! no need to buy a kettlebell, just wrap a towel or rope aroud a dumbell handle and use that. incredible intensity and no muscle loss. heart rate goes through the roof!