T Nation

Cardio during bulking phase

Do people do cardio during bulking? Why?

I’m inclined to keep doing 2-3 sessions a week of running, intervals etc. Why? general health; endurance (though I’m not an athlete); to reduce the number of variables as I change my caloric intake and workout routine; because it just feels like part of a complete routine. But maybe I’ve been brainwashed. The guys on Menshealth.com tend to be against it, as far as I can generalize.

Thanks,

Andy

Check out the third question JB answers in this Appetite for Construction column:

There are benefits, provided that it is done in moderation and at the appropriate time and intensity.

If you can figure it in to your caloric consumption, then it’s not all bad. However, stay away from high intensity stuff like intervals because, as the ACSM (and many others) say, it will decrease muscle girth, strength, etc.
Check out Meltdown Training by Don Alessi for more reasons why Cardio is bad for your gains.
Just be sure that if you’re doing cardio during a bulking cycle, you have a solid reason for it. “General health; endurance (though I’m not an athlete); to reduce the number of variables as I change my caloric intake and workout routine; because it just feels like part of a complete routine”, aren’t the most solid reasons I’ve heard (With the exception of general health). Besides, if you’re lifting with high intensity, do you not think you’re promoting your general health?

god for you andydc. sounds like you have a healthy positive idea of what cardio can do for you. 2, 3 even 4 sessions per week does not sound unreasonable, so play it by ear and see what volume works for you. i know that if i don’t do any cardio (even when bulking) i feel like absolute shit. more power to you bro. kevo