Cardio Conditioning when Bulking Up?

I’ve read the G-Flux article several times and it’s a phenomenon I’ve noticed among my athlete friends that do multiple sports.

I think, in general, it helps you maintain weight at a specific leanness - or at least keeps you lean - but is less effective at building muscle as it is at keeping you lean.

Definitely not as effective as specific ‘mass gaining’ phase that you could tailor to your own physiology.

But I just set up a road bike last night and plan on biking to uni. Hopefully, that will help lean me out with the 3-4.5 hours a week of lifting that I do (plus 15-20 min cardio PWO).

I’m also trying the TBSP of olive oil 30-45 min before a workout for the fat burning effect mentioned in Alpha, where some guys noticed it was easier to get lean if they took in some fats to prime the body for handling that macro.

Trying to keep it low-carb throughout the day as well.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
U may be in the 15-20% range, but some people find this range more anabolic than the 10-15%, specially if your body is adapted to that bodyfat percentage.

I am in the higher range, would’ve thought closer to 20% - but my gains are probably more consistent and better than ever at the moment so I’m sticking with it for now.

Lately I’ve been struggling to add weight (which is something that simply doesn’t exist in my world - I’m an endo and eating lots is NOT a problem for me - nor is gaining) so that’s a first. I’ve even upped my simple carb and protein intake further. I kinda feel for guys with really quick metabolisms.

That’s a fair point you raised though - when coaches suggest staying 10-12% for optimal gains, surely not EVERYONE will have that as an optimal range?[/quote]

Depends on your bodytype, metabolism, how much you’ve been on a set bodyfat percentage and many factors. When trying to get lean gains and being a FFB (I am, my nickname was “el gordo”), you have to stay on the desired bodyfat percentage for an extended period of time. Sure, lean people won’t struggle on staying below 12% while gaining mass, but it’s not the same story for an endo.

In answer to the original question, yes. Contiual exposure to the same exercsie stimulus promotes exercise economy, which essentially means that less Calories are expended performing the activity, and less Calories are expended recovering from the activity also.

The body is an incredibly adaptive thing!