T Nation

Cardio, Best of Both Worlds

i wont be wrong in saying that i have researched for a thousand hours regarding this....with nothing concrete
both have their own supporters
HIIT and MEDIUM INTENSITY. well, who can argue with arnold and others regarding old school low intensity morning fasted sessions; and i am nobody to question the low fat levels and considerable lean mass of elite sprinters either (most of them without juice, testing and everything)

so without going into which is better than which; how about doing two sessions each of 100 metre sprints and 45 mins steady state at 75% of mhr!! and by the way if and when i do sprints, do i take my own time to regain my breath and composure etc to give a 100% on every effort or the rest periods have to be pre decided only??

thoughts?? chris! velvet! stu! ct! bros???

What’s the ?

what, the “?” after bros? nothing man, wrong punctuation i guess, nothing more…

No I man the point or the post

just yes or no, because friends here are more experienced and i just wanted to take their opinion

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
No I man the point or the post[/quote]

Your ipad grammer doesn’t help the situation haha

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
No I man the point or the post[/quote]

Your ipad grammer doesn’t help the situation haha[/quote]

Damnit. And trying to hurry because I am in small group compounds it

Trying to decipher the meaning of this. I like a combo of sprints hiit, and LISS.

[quote]fatboi wrote:
how about doing two sessions each of 100 metre sprints and 45 mins steady state at 75% of mhr!![/quote]
If you’re doing 2 sprint sessions and 2 steady state cardio workouts each week, in addition to lifting 4 or 5 days a week, I’d say that’s starting off on the higher end of cardio work. Some people do fine with it, but many guys like to start with less cardio (less often and/or shorter duration) and add it if/when needed.

Obviously, your nutrition and lifting will need to be factored into your cardio choice. For example, pay attention to when you’re training legs based on when you’re running the sprints. And if you’re doing that much cardio, or more, you’ll need to adjust your calories and/or macros somewhat.

These are a few articles that talk about a bunch of different ways to approach cardio:

If you’re doing sprints and want to really go 100% on each run, it’s usually best to give yourself enough time to “fully” recover between each “set.” Though, if you cut the rest down or use incomplete rest, you’ll fatigue faster overall but the intensity will be further increased. I’d almost consider that like as advanced technique. If you’re just getting back into hard, high intensity cardio, use the longer rest.

Why not try each for a while, systematically? You’d get to your own physical goals far quicker. Here’s some tipds from Berardi on experimentation (from his IF experiment:

"A note on outcome-based decision making
I hope itâ??s now becoming obvious how I make my exercise and nutrition decisions when trying to achieve a goal. In fact, this is how I make almost all of my decisions when going after a goal.
I call the process â??outcome-based decision making,â?? and it goes like this:
Try something that makes sense, is simple, and that you can do every day.
Commit to doing this one action every day for a reasonable period of time, usually a few weeks.
Measure the things thatâ??ll give you objective feedback on how itâ??s going.

Stick with the intervention until your pre-determined time is up, even if your measures go up and down.
Assess the success of your actions based on the overall measures â?? the general trend over time.
At the end of the pre-determined period, if the interventionâ??s working, keep doing it.
If itâ??s not working, or stops working, make a small change, one youâ??re confident you can do.
Keep repeating until you reach your goal.

While the process seems like common sense, itâ??s damn hard to follow and takes uncommon patience and discipline. When we want to reach a goal badly enough, the days can seem long and progress can feel exceptionally slow. Thatâ??s why you have to remember that any progress you make is great. In fact, this has to become your mantra.

Lost only half a pound in two weeks? Thatâ??s great. In a year youâ??ll be down 25 pounds while your friends will have gained 5-10 pounds.
Know someone whoâ??s making faster progress than you? Thatâ??s nice. Just donâ??t forget that 95% of the people who crash diet and lose 15 pounds will gain 25 back for their trouble. Like most people, they made the weight loss project either physically or practically unsustainable.

Losing weight fast often means a huge calorie deficit, and a huge deficit means an impending rebound. Also, working out like crazy or cloistering yourself away from food temptation leads to a rebound of a different kind.
By using outcome-based decisions and making the smallest reasonable change when your measurements tell you itâ??s time to make a change, youâ??re vastly more likely to succeed in the long term."

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
If you’re doing 2 sprint sessions and 2 steady state cardio workouts each week, in addition to lifting 4 or 5 days a week, I’d say that’s starting off on the higher end of cardio work. Some people do fine with it, but many guys like to start with less cardio (less often and/or shorter duration) and add it if/when needed.
[/quote]

^This. If your training and diet are in place, and you’re slowly getting tighter without losses of strength, or excessive amounts of weight (don’t wanna risk any lbm if you can help it), then you want to get away with as little cardio as possible.

Always have somewhere to go,or something to add. Don’t play all your cards as once, because your body will adapt, no question and you don’t wanna be that guy spending half his day on the treamill.

S

as many papers, as many views; what i essentially got out of themis to increase my non exercise physical activity levels and maybe one sprint session a week…
also everyone is talking about the cavemen, how practical is comparing ourselves to them?? our world is so different from their’s; we gotta work to eat, cant just kill a buffalo in the forest

i mean they dint even have mirrors ; and could just club chicks on the head and drag them to their caves and do the ooga booga or whatever they called it…

Damn you indian BB’s look like youve been diped in caramel… Nice tan…

Sure theres a place for LISS, SS, I quess it depends on goals… Personally I think fitting HITT sprints shit like that into a lifting schedule is hard and takes away from gains in the Legs… Its hard to schedule days to sprint when you got Squats & deads neer by. Good ol SS is easy on the joints and doesnt burn you out so when doing squats & deads you still got power… I quess what Im trying to say is it fucks with recovery too much…
If training for sports & conditioning fat loss…HITT great… If training for size I think it doesnt help much except for getting you out the gym faster

[quote]fatboi wrote:
we cant just kill a buffalo in the forest

i mean they dint even have mirrors ; and could just club chicks on the head and drag them to their caves and do the ooga booga or whatever they called it…[/quote]
Ahhhhh the good old days

[quote]fatboi wrote:
how about doing two sessions each of 100 metre sprints and 45 mins steady state at 75% of mhr!![/quote]

Obviously, your nutrition and lifting will need to be factored into your cardio choice. For example, pay attention to when you’re training legs based on when you’re running the sprints. And if you’re doing that much cardio, or more, you’ll need to adjust your calories and/or macros somewhat.

These are a few articles that talk about a bunch of different ways to approach cardio:

If you’re doing sprints and want to really go 100% on each run, it’s usually best to give yourself enough time to “fully” recover between each “set.” Though, if you cut the rest down or use incomplete rest, you’ll fatigue faster overall but the intensity will be further increased. I’d almost consider that like as advanced technique. If you’re just getting back into hard, high intensity cardio, use the longer rest.[/quote]

earlier post on this

[quote]fatboi wrote:
i mean they dint even have mirrors ; and could just club chicks on the head and drag them to their caves and do the ooga booga or whatever they called it…[/quote]

What the fuck are you talking about?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[/quote]

^This. If your training and diet are in place, and you’re slowly getting tighter without losses of strength, or excessive amounts of weight (don’t wanna risk any lbm if you can help it), then you want to get away with as little cardio as possible.

Always have somewhere to go,or something to add. Don’t play all your cards as once, because your body will adapt, no question and you don’t wanna be that guy spending half his day on the treamill.

S[/quote]

1. What should be done if you did start off higher but, would like to reduce the amount the cardio while cutting?

2. Would the body adapting be an issue if you only have 10-15 lbs to lose or would you be able to hit it hard and be done with it before it does?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[/quote]

S[/quote]

1. What should be done if you did start off higher but, would like to reduce the amount the cardio while cutting?
    [/quote]

You’d have to look at the rate of weight loss, actual fat loss, strength levels, and realistically assess if you can get away with less than you’re currently doing. For example, if you’re doing a ton of cardio, barely eating any carbs, and dropping a steady 3 lbs per week, chances are that you’d end up better (compositionally, not in terms of scale numbers) by pulling back on the cardio sessions, and possibly even working some more carbs in, albeit in small increments at at more useful times of the day. Then of course you’d reassess matters; what’s the rate of weight loss now? Is your strength returning? Sleeping better? Mirror based composition? etc…

[quote]
2) Would the body adapting be an issue if you only have 10-15 lbs to lose or would you be able to hit it hard and be done with it before it does?[/quote]

You have to realize that the body will eventually adapt to anything. How long that takes to happen is a very individual matter. Some people will have issues from the get go, and respond better to varying, or cyclical approaches. That’s not saying that others can’t set up a dietary/training program, follow it for 2 months without ever making any changes, and reach their goals with seemingly little effort.

It’s really when you’re dealing with acheiving more drastic levels of low bodyfat while doing everything you can to avoid muscle loss that you find yourself playing games with so many variables. Remember that your body is designed to preserve itself, and storing bodyfat is something it can do quite easily in certasin circumstances.

Similarly carrying around large amounts of muscle mass isn’t usually a priority. Hence all the crazy complicated sounding juggling you hear some competitors dealing with. Certainly, for most people, there is no reason to overcomplicate matters if you don’t need to.

S

^good post stu^
I was hoping you would chime in on the 6 meals a day thread with se insight.
I posted some questions for guys like you, TC, Brick and Chris if you guys have some time.
Thanks.

[quote]fatboi wrote:
what i essentially got out of themis to increase my non exercise physical activity levels and maybe one sprint session a week[/quote]
That’s one place to start, for sure. Stick with the plan, track progress week to week, and adjust things as needed.