Cardio and Heart Rate

I was wondering what do you guys shoot for in terms of heart rate when doing Steady State and HIIT cardio?

Also is that the best way to judge the difficulty of your cardio?

For HIIT, I usually peak around 170 bpm for sprints and rest down to 150. I don’t think specific numbers matter as much as just having a periodic bpm differential.

[quote]optheta wrote:
I was wondering what do you guys shoot for in terms of heart rate when doing Steady State and HIIT cardio?[/quote]

120-130

[quote]optheta wrote:
Also is that the best way to judge the difficulty of your cardio? [/quote]

heart rate

It’s 220-your age, is your max heart beat.
For me (I’m 40 years old), 220-40 (years old) = 180mbp

So for myself I max out at about 184bpm, and keep it above 155bpm wen I’m burning fat. That’s when I’m interval training.

It’s probably is a good way to rate the exercise, however your heart doesn’t know what exercise you are doing, its just supplying the blood.

Hope this helps

has anyone here bought an HR monitor? all the machines you do cardio on which have HR monitors never seem to be accurate

i was actually thinking of purchasing a cheaper one.

65-70% of your max heart rate

when I do my steady state my hr is at like 170-180 most of the time.

I just try to burn 300 cals as fast as possible, and I’ll normally do it on a bike in anywhere between 20-22 minutes
if I kept my hr around 130 it’d probably take me like 35ish minutes or something.

I dunno if this has had any negative effects, it’s just what I do. without knowing the science behind it, I figure it probably balances out same amount of cals one just takes like 15 minutes longer…or I could walk on a treadmill and it would take an hour… I don’t see how this would be better though, an hour of walking that’s like an extra 40 minutes between me and my next meal.

Does anyone know why the low heartrate is so reccomended?
I know you burn more calories directly from fat at that heart rate during exercise but at the end of the day does it really even matter?

and for hit I don’t really pay attention to heart rate that much.
I just care more about maintaining my revolutions per minute on the bike.

I’ll notice my hr for the sprints though are around 180 and during my relaxed riding just before sprinting again i’ll normally come down to 140. 20 sec sprint 140 seconds relaxed pace for 15-16 minutes