Cardio After Weights.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
The whole idea behind doing cardio either fasted in the morning or immediately after a workout is because your glycogen is depleted and its a prime time to slowly burn off some fat.

[/quote]

I agree. You want to be in a semi-depleted state to really burn off the blubber.

But, if your goal is to gain mass, why are you even doing cardio?

[quote]Sklander wrote:
My question isn’t whether or not cardio is good or bad after a work out. I know that you need protein plus carbs after a work out.

My question is have any of you done a cardio session after your PWO shake right after you’re done lifting?

Can I do cardio on a stomach full of protein and a serving of simple sugars after lifting?

[/quote]

Yes, you can do it - it will not kill you and it is unlikely to hurt you. But you won’t be making the most of either your time or your shake.

The only issue you may run into has to do with blood shunting into the core and away from the legs in the event that the shake requires digestion (this is unlikely but possible if you use dextrose).

I have done exactly what you have outlined before. I make better size gains and have better cardio workouts if I separate them.

By the way, most studies done that say your body reaches a catabolising state was done on marathon runners who were exercising continously for over 45 minutes.

When you are weight training you are not training continously for 45 minutes, you are taking breaks in between. That is why guys can train for 90 minutes at a time and still get quite good results.

So if you trained for an hour you could probably do 30 minutes of cardio afterwards and still be OK.

That being said - this is all just science and studies, it’s just theories. So just take this as a base idea and see what works for you, it’s not all set in stone.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
chillain wrote:
If you can even consider doing cardio directly after a training session, you’re simply not training hard enough.

bullshit.

I’ve been able to train legs till I puked and I still got on a treadmill afterwards and did a fast paced walk for 30 minutes. I’m not saying that at all was productive to my gains, but I’m just saying it can be done.

If you can’t consider doing cardio directly after a training session, you’re simply not willing to push yourself enough.[/quote]

I agree with Goodfollow. That is a pretty heinous statement. If YOU can’t push your body to the limit during a workout, don’t accuse everyone else of not working out hard enough.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m surprised more people don’t do their cardio LAST thing during the day, after all their eating’s done. Dr Carlon Colker wrote a little about this approach in his book, and I was taken aback as well that no one else seems to touch on it.

S
[/quote]

I’ve actually been trying to do this lately, rather than running first thing in the morning. I think it’s helped a lot, and in the morning, I’ve been feeling really good, especially after a late-night sprinting session.

Who gives a shit? If you need to get your cardio in then do it. It’s not like those 30-40 min of cardio after the weights will suck off all your muscle and leave you weak and shrunken. The human body isn’t that fragile.
If you need to do cardio and right after your workout is the most convenient schedule-wise, then do it. It’s better to get your cardio in than NOT get it in at all.

Looks like the consensus is to separate them entirely.

Is cardio every day a good thing or is it better to do cardio maybe like four times a week? I guess this is goal dependent. For fat loss bicycle HIIT sessions are in order for me. Maye some sprinting around the neighborhoods when that gets boring.

Thanks for all the information, guys.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Who gives a shit? If you need to get your cardio in then do it. It’s not like those 30-40 min of cardio after the weights will suck off all your muscle and leave you weak and shrunken. The human body isn’t that fragile.
If you need to do cardio and right after your workout is the most convenient schedule-wise, then do it. It’s better to get your cardio in than NOT get it in at all.[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
Cardio right after weight training is a pretty bad idea, this is the time your muscles need to be fed the most and you have to revert the catabolic state you’re in by eating (80 mg of carbs and 40 mg of proteins).

I’d consider consuming 10-15 grams of BCAA before any cardio.

Read the rest here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=835725[/quote]

40 mg of protein!!?!?!? You trying to make the guys kidney’s explode?

40 gms protein seems about right. Two scoops in a shaker cup does me wonders.

80 gms carbs, though? I tend to take in about 20 right after a lifting session in the form of 1 Tbsp honey. Is this not enough?

[quote]Sklander wrote:

80 gms carbs, though? I tend to take in about 20 right after a lifting session in the form of 1 Tbsp honey. Is this not enough?[/quote]

I’m not Thibs or Berardi, but I don’t think anyone under 250lbs really needs 80g of carbs PWO. I remember when a certain creatine supplement 1st came out that contained 75g of sugar per serving. Everyone got fat off of it -lol

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Sklander wrote:

80 gms carbs, though? I tend to take in about 20 right after a lifting session in the form of 1 Tbsp honey. Is this not enough?

I’m not Thibs or Berardi, but I don’t think anyone under 250lbs really needs 80g of carbs PWO. I remember when a certain creatine supplement 1st came out that contained 75g of sugar per serving. Everyone got fat off of it -lol

S
[/quote]

Yeah I took something like that a few years back. I got wicked strong but also put on a fair amount of flab as well as horrible diarrhea :frowning:

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
Cardio right after weight training is a pretty bad idea, this is the time your muscles need to be fed the most and you have to revert the catabolic state you’re in by eating (80 mg of carbs and 40 mg of proteins).

I’d consider consuming 10-15 grams of BCAA before any cardio.

Read the rest here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=835725[/quote]

beat me to it…

[quote]SSC wrote:
I agree with Goodfollow. That is a pretty heinous statement. If YOU can’t push your body to the limit during a workout, don’t accuse everyone else of not working out hard enough.[/quote]

No offense man, but you really do need to brush up on those reading comprehension skills. Also couldn’t hurt to scale back on some of those faulty assumptions.

[quote]chillain wrote:
If you can even consider doing cardio directly after a training session, you’re simply not training hard enough.

And sure, I understand the exceptions like shoulders or arms day but the original point remains.

[/quote]

man your right on that… after legs or deads and you can some how get on a bike or a treadmill your left something at the power rack… but on days like only shoulders or arms ahhh could happen…

edit
But if your primary goal is fat loss then getting the glycogen out of the muscles and then going on a bike might be the trick…
Charles Glass uses this for his fitness girls he trains leading up to competition.

[quote]Sklander wrote:
I know the best times to do cardio are right in the morning before eating anything or right after weight training. My question is: Is it a bad idea to do cardio right after just drinking a protein shake fresh off a good work out?[/quote]

I would just do the cardio and save the shake for afterward. The depleted state you’ll be in after weight training with help you burn more fat. Drinking a shake would make it so your burning shake instead of fat. Just keep the cardio low intensity. I like it first thing in the morning the best though even while bulking.

Am cardio is awesome, I usually have a cup of coffee and some bcaas and do a NEPA walk or tredmill incline… After a workout I do a quick jump rope interval session if I have energy.