T Nation

Cardio After Weightlifting

I’m an ectomorph trying to gain mass right now and am wondering if doing cardio (20 minutes) after weightlifting would be bad? I have a physical test to do near the end of march and have to take the COOPER test (most distance possible in 12 minutes). I started running, I do 20 minutes on the treadmill and increase speed each time. I’m a noobie about this but, wouldn’t the running put my body in a catabolic state, which would not be good to build muscle? Or will it not interfere?

Would drinking a PWO shake (regular whey protein or Surge) after the cardio prevent this?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I never read anything on these topics before as it wasn’t important to me. Thanks in advance!

everybody should be doing some sort of cardio whether trying to gain muscle or lose fat.

your body is already in a catabolic state after you are done lifting, you would just be keeping it there a little longer.

so lift weights (45min-hour max) and do 20 min cardio. then drink your pwo drink (surge, not whey protein) which will help swith your body’s state from catabolic to anabolic.

IF you’re trying to gain weight, obviously you have to eat more calories than you burn. Thus, diet will play the biggest part in it.

As for training, I’d keep the lifting to a little shorter period than normal. I’d say 45 minutes should suffice, with 15-20 minutes of cardio after.

I’d also suggest interval training for both your bulking goal, and your mist distance in a given time goal, too.

Good luck.

[quote]ktennies wrote:

your body is already in a catabolic state after you are done lifting, you would just be keeping it there a little longer.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t agree with that at all- your body does not need to be in a catabolic state during workouts given pre & intra workout nutrition. In the studies presented in Nutrient Timing, people drinking the carb/protein drink ended their workouts in a positive protein balance.

To the OP:
Here’s the thing about cardio - the very basic principle behind doing cardio after your weight workout is that lifting weights causes increased free fatty acid circulation, and doing low-intensity cardio runs primarily off fat. Here’s the problem- you want to do cardio to be in better shape for a fitness test, not to burn fat. Low-intensity cardio (40-50% of VO2 Max) will result in modest gains at best in the untrained individual, and do less for someone who’s already in decent shape. If you are going to want to get good results, you are going to need to work your way to 60-85% of your VO2 max during your cardio sessions. At these speeds, your body will be running almost entirely off glycogen… and if you just had a hard leg workout you might already be running low on that.

My suggestion is to if you insist on doing cardio on lifting days, same time, just keep the nutrients flowing with a pre/during workout shakes and then Surge afterwards. Otherwise, you might want to do cardio on your offdays, and supplement with a little pre workout shake and again Surge after you finish.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
IF you’re trying to gain weight, obviously you have to eat more calories than you burn. Thus, diet will play the biggest part in it.

As for training, I’d keep the lifting to a little shorter period than normal. I’d say 45 minutes should suffice, with 15-20 minutes of cardio after.

I’d also suggest interval training for both your bulking goal, and your mist distance in a given time goal, too.

Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks, could you elaborate or direct me to some information about interval training? Would it be better than what I am doing now?

[quote]challer1 wrote:
ktennies wrote:

I wouldn’t agree with that at all- your body does not need to be in a catabolic state during workouts given pre & intra workout nutrition. In the studies presented in Nutrient Timing, people drinking the carb/protein drink ended their workouts in a positive protein balance.

To the OP:
Here’s the thing about cardio - the very basic principle behind doing cardio after your weight workout is that lifting weights causes increased free fatty acid circulation, and doing low-intensity cardio runs primarily off fat. Here’s the problem- you want to do cardio to be in better shape for a fitness test, not to burn fat. Low-intensity cardio (40-50% of VO2 Max) will result in modest gains at best in the untrained individual, and do less for someone who’s already in decent shape. If you are going to want to get good results, you are going to need to work your way to 60-85% of your VO2 max during your cardio sessions. At these speeds, your body will be running almost entirely off glycogen… and if you just had a hard leg workout you might already be running low on that. My suggestion is to if you insist on doing cardio on lifting days, same time, just keep the nutrients flowing with a pre/during workout shakes and then surge afterwards. Otherwise, you might want to do cardio on your offdays, and supplement with a little pre workout shake and again surge after you finish.[/quote]

Thank you for the good information.

[quote]challer1 wrote:

I wouldn’t agree with that at all- your body does not need to be in a catabolic state during workouts given pre & intra workout nutrition. In the studies presented in Nutrient Timing, people drinking the carb/protein drink ended their workouts in a positive protein balance.[/quote]

i can see how if a person drank something like Surge pre/during their workout this would be true.

I think as long as your not running any marathons post workout your fine. Your window of oppurtunity with the post workout meal/shake is about an hour long give or take, so if you keep the time of the cardio down you should be fine. my trainig partner is a mes-ectomorph and he our pwc doesn’t seem to slow down his development.

bear in mind he also eats like a horse.