T Nation

Carbs With Your Protein Shake

ordered a great protein mix from the protein factory..... It even tastes good... I have been eating granola bars or oatmeal (and psylium husk) with my shakes (non pw) and maltodextrin with my pw shakes... what do you guys eat with your shakes...

Depends on what time of day it is, and in relation to working out.

Also your goal....if you're trying to pack on weight, etc...

I have Surge after my workout which is (as we all know) carbs (glucose+maltodextrin) and protein (whey hydrolysate).

The only other time i have a shake might be in the evening and that will be Low-Carb Grow! and some peanut butter or nuts. That's usually only if i'm too lazy or rushed to cook something.

Overall i prefer whole foods and Surge is really the only "shake" i ever use.

I lift in the early morning. Before I go, I take a banana or two, 2 scoops of Low-Carb Grow!, 1 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a half liter of water. Put all that in a blender and mix. It doesn't taste bad, and it is protein plus carbs.

i love natural peaunutbutter... the shakes in question are the ones in my 6 hour window after i train... Looking for a good carb source that wont burn too quick... been eating a granola bar or 2...