Carbs Will Kill You

Carb tolerance does vary. It really is an individual thing.

450 carbs/day on training days. Yeah!

Annnnnnnnd now you hate me :slight_smile:

[quote]Trenchant wrote:

Annnnnnnnd now you hate me :)[/quote]

Good God, Man! I think I would become diabetic afterwards… or at least feel like I was. When I want to lose weight, I go low-moderate carb 50-100g. Then its on to maintenance with 100-150g. But I usually only get carbs from fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. On a side note, thank God for blenders… its the fastest way to eat fruits and veggies, IMO.

Funny story. One time I decided that instead of blending fruits and veggies AND making a protein shake… I would mix the two together, mwahahahaha!!! But I didnt add enough water and my concoction wouldn’t even pour out.

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
Trenchant wrote:

Good God, Man! I think I would become diabetic afterwards… or at least feel like I was. When I want to lose weight, I go low-moderate carb 50-100g. Then its on to maintenance with 100-150g. But I usually only get carbs from fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. On a side note, thank God for blenders… its the fastest way to eat fruits and veggies, IMO.

Funny story. One time I decided that instead of blending fruits and veggies AND making a protein shake… I would mix the two together, mwahahahaha!!! But I didnt add enough water and my concoction wouldn’t even pour out. [/quote]

Yeah, I used to be one of those people thinking if it’s no fat, its okay to eat…and I was playing soccer everyday. So now my body is well adjusted to carbs.

Heck, I wasn’t able to train for three days straight this weekend so I decided to lower carbs a bit (250-300). Results: lost 2 pounds in three days on 3500 cal/day (weigh myself in morning before eating to be accurate).

I could never, ever blend veggies and fruits at the same time. You are a better man than I.

Interesting: I’ve been reading alot lately about carbs and their connection to inflammation so your right on the money here.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
This is blasphemy on T-Nation, I’m sure, but fat loss for me has been fastest with a low fat diet and low-intensity cardio. Well, relatively low fat, not Ornish diet low fat but probably less than 20% of calories from fat and what fat I do eat being primarily olive oil and fish oil, about 40% from protein and the rest from carbs mostly “complex” carbs from legumes and non-starchy vegetables. I eat some fruit and just a little bit of bread.

I’ve tried the Anabolic diet and I’ve tried long-term low carb non-keto diets and neither has worked extremely well for me. [/quote]

That is the way this stuff was done before the internet.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
blake2616 wrote:
Trenchant wrote:

Funny story. One time I decided that instead of blending fruits and veggies AND making a protein shake… I would mix the two together, mwahahahaha!!! But I didnt add enough water and my concoction wouldn’t even pour out.

Yeah, I used to be one of those people thinking if it’s no fat, its okay to eat…and I was playing soccer everyday. So now my body is well adjusted to carbs.

Heck, I wasn’t able to train for three days straight this weekend so I decided to lower carbs a bit (250-300). Results: lost 2 pounds in three days on 3500 cal/day (weigh myself in morning before eating to be accurate).

I could never, ever blend veggies and fruits at the same time. You are a better man than I.

[/quote]

See, being uber-active in my youth made me and my body THINK I could carb it up with abandon…and crappy carbs at that. I definitely did NOT build up a tolerance to carbs, but it’s almost like an aversion to them now…if my body realizes that there’s AC power available (aka, carbs ingested) rather than DC battery backup (aka, fat stores), then it totally stays on the input method and keeps trying to charge up the stores.

Plus side is, I can quickly get out of ingestion mode, but carb cycling for that reason, has to be wider between the hi and lo days or it’s not really working.

Sorry for the weirdo electrical analogy, but that’s the best way I can describe my case.

I went low carb on my diet and had moderate success - went from 16%bf to 12%bf in 3 months (around 12lbs of fat loss). I was kind of dissapointed the fat didn’t come off quicker - it might just be my body type and it was my first time on a serious diet.

I never did feel like I “got it right” though. I always felt like I was either eating too little or too much, even though I was eating the same # of calories a day. Some days I really thought I was creating too much of a calorie deficit while other days I felt like i needed to cut more.

I just came off this last week since i’m starting bulking and WOW do I feel better…I didn’t realize how shitty dieting made me feel.

I am so sick of hearing about how eating oatmeal, brown rice, or Ezekiel bread is going to be detrimental to my health. While i do believe that carbs need to be lowered somewhat to help fat loss, I don’t think you need to cut them out completely. I went to a bodybuilding show in Houston this past weekend and I had the chance to talk with numerous competitors and I asked them all about their diets for the show. All of them contained carbs to some extent. Dave Goodin, who was one of the individuals i spoke with and is a natural bodybuilder, DIETS on 225 grams of carbs per day. No one at the show, outside of those being helped by Dave Palumbo, was on a keto diet.

this is Dave. Excuse me while I go eat my oats

All I can say is FISH, FISH and more FISH – plus – wearing a sauna suit while working out really helps you burn fat for sure. I’ve done it and turn fat into muscle. Beside, the growth hormones they are putting in our foods has already been proven that it is the real cause of cancers thats killing a lot of people. They fed HMO potatoes to lap rats who later died, the same stuff they are feeding us. So, I’ll will tell you all to stay away from milk, sugars, bread, and anything thats not organic. And don’t drank tap water because it has sodium fluoride in it that causes a lot of today problems – just google it and find out …

[quote]jakewnet44 wrote:
this is Dave. Excuse me while I go eat my oats[/quote]

I think people are trying to say that all the refined stuff is the issue…BLEACHED flours, REFINED sugars, etc…none of the stuff you mentioned.

Carbs will kill you, protein will damage your kidneys, and fat will make you fat. Duh.

[quote]jakewnet44 wrote:
I am so sick of hearing about how eating oatmeal, brown rice, or Ezekiel bread is going to be detrimental to my health. While i do believe that carbs need to be lowered somewhat to help fat loss, I don’t think you need to cut them out completely. I went to a bodybuilding show in Houston this past weekend and I had the chance to talk with numerous competitors and I asked them all about their diets for the show. All of them contained carbs to some extent. Dave Goodin, who was one of the individuals i spoke with and is a natural bodybuilder, DIETS on 225 grams of carbs per day. No one at the show, outside of those being helped by Dave Palumbo, was on a keto diet. [/quote]

Agreed. I tried the whole low carb thing (just minimal amounts of carbs before and after workout) for a brief period and I wasn’t making any gains in my weight or in the gym. Adding more carbs did the trick and I’m making gains like crazy without adding much bodyfat at all. I go as low glycemic and nutrient packed as I can: waxy or Surge post workout but the rest come strictly from quinoa, beans, lentils, and sweet potatoes. No processed crap and very minimal insulin spikes- plus a serving of green veggies with each meal which further increases the fiber and helps avoid any potential insulin surge.

Finally, we have to remeber that insulin is not all that evil. It is extremely anabolic and slow, steady insulin spikes (like from the above mentioned carb sources and veggies, fruits) are not the devil- if you are lifting heavy in the gym they will simply aid in driving the nutrients to your muscles for repair and GROWTH.

IMO, Carbs get a bad rap because most people are not smart with their choices and don’t workout hard enough.

[quote]LightsOutLuthor wrote:
jakewnet44 wrote:
this is Dave. Excuse me while I go eat my oats

I think people are trying to say that all the refined stuff is the issue…BLEACHED flours, REFINED sugars, etc…none of the stuff you mentioned.

[/quote]

Agreed Oats are good. Pure sugar isn’t. Seems pretty simple.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
atg410 wrote:

Sorry for the long rant, but I want to expound on my argument against the food pyramid…

PRCalDude wrote:
I can’t tolerate a lot either.

See, and theres the rub. When you start asking people, you find that a LOT of people can’t tolerate them, or at least not the grains typical to the American diet. Right off hand I can think of at least 7 people that I know immediately who fall into some special population or another when it comes to grain intolerance. Everything from carb intolerant to celiacs.

I don’t know a single person in real life that has stuck to a low carb lifestyle. I know people that have lost significant weight on Atkins but they gained it back.

The only people I know that have lost weight and kept it off eat a generally “balanced” diet with carbs as the main fuel source and exercise.

The problem is inactive people eat too much. HFCS and the like don’t help matters but the fact is that people take in way more calories than they used to.[/quote]

Fair enough, nobody said a low carb lifestyle was easy or that being lean was easy. Some do breakout and learn how to do it and are rewarded with good health and dates with hot chicks with big boobs. The others are rewarded with a life of lameness and disease.

[quote]coloradosteve2 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
atg410 wrote:

Sorry for the long rant, but I want to expound on my argument against the food pyramid…

PRCalDude wrote:
I can’t tolerate a lot either.

See, and theres the rub. When you start asking people, you find that a LOT of people can’t tolerate them, or at least not the grains typical to the American diet. Right off hand I can think of at least 7 people that I know immediately who fall into some special population or another when it comes to grain intolerance. Everything from carb intolerant to celiacs.

I don’t know a single person in real life that has stuck to a low carb lifestyle. I know people that have lost significant weight on Atkins but they gained it back.

The only people I know that have lost weight and kept it off eat a generally “balanced” diet with carbs as the main fuel source and exercise.

The problem is inactive people eat too much. HFCS and the like don’t help matters but the fact is that people take in way more calories than they used to.

Fair enough, nobody said a low carb lifestyle was easy or that being lean was easy. Some do breakout and learn how to do it and are rewarded with good health and dates with hot chicks with big boobs. The others are rewarded with a life of lameness and disease.[/quote]

I know plenty of lean people. Absolutely none of them follow the low carb life style.

I also know some hot chicks with big boobs.

[quote]Napo wrote:
All I can say is FISH, FISH and more FISH – plus – wearing a sauna suit while working out really helps you burn fat for sure. I’ve done it and turn fat into muscle. Beside, the growth hormones they are putting in our foods has already been proven that it is the real cause of cancers thats killing a lot of people. They fed HMO potatoes to lap rats who later died, the same stuff they are feeding us. So, I’ll will tell you all to stay away from milk, sugars, bread, and anything thats not organic. And don’t drank tap water because it has sodium fluoride in it that causes a lot of today problems – just google it and find out …[/quote]

Why has no one said anything about this post, yet?

Except for the eating fish part, everything else is complete and utter bullshit.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Napo wrote:
All I can say is FISH, FISH and more FISH – plus – wearing a sauna suit while working out really helps you burn fat for sure. I’ve done it and turn fat into muscle.

Beside, the growth hormones they are putting in our foods has already been proven that it is the real cause of cancers thats killing a lot of people. They fed HMO potatoes to lap rats who later died, the same stuff they are feeding us.

So, I’ll will tell you all to stay away from milk, sugars, bread, and anything thats not organic. And don’t drank tap water because it has sodium fluoride in it that causes a lot of today problems – just google it and find out …

Except for the eating fish part, everything else is complete and utter bullshit. [/quote]

You don’t think you can turn fat into muscle?

You are not scared by “lap” rats who later died?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Napo wrote:
All I can say is FISH, FISH and more FISH – plus – wearing a sauna suit while working out really helps you burn fat for sure. I’ve done it and turn fat into muscle. Beside, the growth hormones they are putting in our foods has already been proven that it is the real cause of cancers thats killing a lot of people. They fed HMO potatoes to lap rats who later died, the same stuff they are feeding us. So, I’ll will tell you all to stay away from milk, sugars, bread, and anything thats not organic. And don’t drank tap water because it has sodium fluoride in it that causes a lot of today problems – just google it and find out …

Except for the eating fish part, everything else is complete and utter bullshit. [/quote]

And what are these HOMO potatoes that he talks about? Man, even potatoes are potentially gay now? I’m outta of the loop or something!