T Nation

Carbs Prior to Bed

for example, a fuckin turkey sandwhich on wheat or a burrito. what yalls views on this?

if you are trying to gain weight, gain no matter what. If you are trying to lose weight and the meal fits into your final macros(which i doubt it does unless you are doing it wrong) then go ahead.

From what I’ve been told, carbs is not the ideal macronutrient to have before bed reason being that carbs are mainly for energy. During sleep if this energy is not used, it will be stored as fat.

That said, I don’t see anything really wrong with a turkey sandwich or a burrito. I would stray from shit carbs like donuts, chips, or any other baked goods.

Damn, I’m feelin me a burrito now.

I’m eating grilled chicken on an english muffin right now. I plan on going right to sleep after this. I WILL lose bodyfat by doing this because my daily overall caloric intake was (will be) 2,700kcals and I destroyed my back today at the gym.

I avoid it at all costs regardless of if I’m bulking/cutting, just has no place.

My view is that it’s okay.

I think it should be ok depending on your goals and macros for the entire day like elusive stated.

I would not go with junk type foods or a big meal right before bed, since it could interfere with sleeping etc.

Something small I doubt will hurt anything, hell whats a sandwich like 35 carbs depending on the bread? plus the protein and fats will help with slowing the carbs down I believe.

I really think it depends on where you are with your macros at that time of the day. As stated earlier, most have already made sure that they got in enough carbs by the time that last meal comes, but I think that if you need some more, go for it. It may not be ideal, but if u need to reach 300 carbs on that given day, and you only have 250, go for those last 50 in your last meal.

It depends on your goals. Depends from person to person. Depends on what your diet for that day leading up to bed looked like. It depends.

[quote]waylanderxx mutha fuckin wrote:
I avoid it at all costs regardless of if I’m bulking/cutting, just has no place.[/quote]

Is it just a preference?

I preferably eat before bed because it helps me sleep plus I don’t wake up with hunger pains. I’m sure if you keep your before bed meal at a reasonable carbohydrate size that it won’t be a big deal.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
waylanderxx mutha fuckin wrote:
I avoid it at all costs regardless of if I’m bulking/cutting, just has no place.

Is it just a preference?

I preferably eat before bed because it helps me sleep plus I don’t wake up with hunger pains. I’m sure if you keep your before bed meal at a reasonable carbohydrate size that it won’t be a big deal. [/quote]

It just makes me soft, I always have cottage cheese and natty PB before bed and a small whey shake. If I have a meal with 20+ carbs in it before bed, I’ve learned through trial and error that it will put fat on me.

It will be more difficult to keep your bodyfat low if you are eating carbs or large meals late in the day or before bed.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

Is it just a preference?

It just makes me soft, I always have cottage cheese and natty PB before bed and a small whey shake. If I have a meal with 20+ carbs in it before bed, I’ve learned through trial and error that it will put fat on me.[/quote]

Understandable. I would imagine your whey shake is with water then?

how bout fixing that hair

What if you are training late in evening? say 8-10pm?

[quote]benmoore wrote:
What if you are training late in evening? say 8-10pm?[/quote]

post-workout is post-workout, regardless of time of day.

"As LL (not “Cool J” - Dr Lonnie Lowery) has done a great job of schooling us on, insulin sensitivity is higher in the first part of the day as opposed to later in the day. For this reason, you can maximize muscle glycogen storage and minimize fat storage by slanting your carb intake toward the first part of the day, as opposed to the latter. In other words, you’re having carbs for breakfast.

You’re probably already well aware of the fact that you should consume ample carbs post-workout to maximize recovery from that workout. It only makes sense to fill the tank up after you just emptied it, right?"

[quote]elGreatestWeight wrote:
benmoore wrote:

"As LL (not “Cool J” - Dr Lonnie Lowery) has done a great job of schooling us on, insulin sensitivity is higher in the first part of the day as opposed to later in the day. For this reason, you can maximize muscle glycogen storage and minimize fat storage by slanting your carb intake toward the first part of the day, as opposed to the latter. In other words, you’re having carbs for breakfast.

You’re probably already well aware of the fact that you should consume ample carbs post-workout to maximize recovery from that workout. It only makes sense to fill the tank up after you just emptied it, right?"[/quote]

x2

therefore it depends

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

Is it just a preference?

It just makes me soft, I always have cottage cheese and natty PB before bed and a small whey shake. If I have a meal with 20+ carbs in it before bed, I’ve learned through trial and error that it will put fat on me.

Understandable. I would imagine your whey shake is with water then?

[/quote]

Yup, I make all my shakes with water.

[quote]elGreatestWeight wrote:
benmoore wrote:

You’re probably already well aware of the fact that you should consume ample carbs post-workout to maximize recovery from that workout. It only makes sense to fill the tank up after you just emptied it, right?"[/quote]

X2

Good post.