T Nation

Carbs in Fruits

I just have a quick question about what source of carbs are good options for meal replacements. Lately i’ve been belnding oatmeal in my shakes, but i’ve been looking for a good source of carbs that tastes a bit better…

Would the carbs in fruits be a good source to make a meal replacement for a carb+protein meal? From my understanding the carbs in fruits are from sugar, so wouldn’t that be a bad choice for forming the main source of carbs for a meal?

No they Fruits are a great choice, the carbs are from fiber and sugar a mix including some fructose. Same thing essentially as oats, fiber and well starch but starches act pretty much the same as sugar.

Plus the fruits your getting all the minerals vits, micronutrients. Eat fruit eat a lot of fruit.

Phill

No.
Say it with me.
Fruit isn’t going to kill you.

Fruit isn’t the devil.

Fruit won’t make you fat.

Fruit is good for you.

See the banana.

Eat the banana.

But,seriously.
Eating something like an apple is low glycemic and won’t spike your insulin level like white sugar.
Just stick to carbs found in nature (oat meal, vegetables, fruits), not the candy factory.

[quote]magikalcamel wrote:
I just have a quick question about what source of carbs are good options for meal replacements. Lately i’ve been belnding oatmeal in my shakes, but i’ve been looking for a good source of carbs that tastes a bit better…

Would the carbs in fruits be a good source to make a meal replacement for a carb+protein meal? From my understanding the carbs in fruits are from sugar, so wouldn’t that be a bad choice for forming the main source of carbs for a meal? [/quote]

i dont understand people being so paranoid about fruit. if you would look up the GI info of most fruits they are LOW even thou they have all that natural sugar in them.

like one of the authors wrote on an article i challange you to get fat by just eating apples

I blend a banana and frozen mixed berries into my breakfast shake. It is delicious as well as being healthy. Oh yeah!

I am currently on a very low carb diet (under 50 g. per day) and I still eat an apple every day. I believe a whole apple is around 9 g. of carbs, with lots of fiber. My 4 y/o son is a type 1 diabetic and he will eat a raw apple with very little change in his blood sugar.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
I blend a banana and frozen mixed berries into my breakfast shake. It is delicious as well as being healthy. Oh yeah![/quote]

.9 bananas?