Microwaved sweet potatoes
White potatoes fried in kerrygold butter
Bananas
Clif bars
Intra workout carbs[/quote]

Cheers. Rice looks like a favourite.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

How much do you like to cook? How do you define “clean”? Do you mean not refined? Low in oil/fat? It looks like you are ok with wheat/gluten?

[/quote]

I love to cook, and do every day. The kitchen is actually one of my favourite parts of going to the gym.

By clean I suppose I mean unrefined/unprocessed, and I’m not being too careful about fats at the moment (depending on the day, my diet can be quite high in fats), and no known issues with gluten.

Thanks for the rice recipe, looks lovely and easy to make :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Your welcome! Since you aren’t avoiding wheat, you might like this recipe for a chicken salad made with wheat berries. Really good. I left out the honey. The grapes are good, but you could cut back or omit if you are keeping sugars low, or substitute dried cranberries as another option. I used a low-fat feta. It’s perfect to keep in the fridge for a few days.

The recipe calls for a lemon dressing. Instead of buying a store bought one, I made this one from scratch.

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried.
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup apple sauce

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. Store in fridge.

And I made this Super Power Chia Bread last night. So easy. Seriously takes about 5 minutes to put together. I cooked it in a glass pan, so I needed to add a couple of minutes to the cooking time. And I like that it shows nutritional info. Makes 8 servings, 208 cals, 13g fat, .5g saturated, 15.6g carbs, 7.4g fiber, 1g sugar, 9.1g protein.

I just used all rolled oats because I didn’t have any buckwheat. Savory. Kind of reminds you of a very nutty Ezekiel bread, and my kids liked it a lot. Great in the toaster the next day. Would be awesome as shown with avocado, or open-faced with tomato, basil and a little low-fat mozzarella and/or chicken breast or bacon.

BTW, Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon is a great cooking blog. I know, you are thinking “Vegan?” They really know how to cook vegetables, and whole grains like quinoa, and others without using all the dairy. Add your favorite meat on the side, and a lot of their recipes are perfect.

Thanks again for those recipes, they both look great. I’ll put up some pics when I make them.

I’ll check out that blog. I don’t mind vegan recipes as long as they’re served next to a steak :stuck_out_tongue:

On the subject of yams/sweet potatoes, I’ve been having them baked, then cut in half and topped with fried leeks and blue cheese, melted under the grill. Delicious.

I aim to stay ultra-low carb until post workout. Then, I’ll usually slam some white rice or sweet potatoes with my my post wkout meal. I have to say, it was getting sooooo BORING. I decided to give quinoa a shot and DAMN… that stuff is good. I try not to eat a lot of grains, but I was surprised at how many nutrients and what not are in there when I looked it up.

Anyway, I know I’m way behind the times, but I definitely recommend throwing some quinoa in the mix if you’re bored with your clean carb options.

Fruity pebbles

Rice, potatoes, and frozen berries .

Captain Crunch: Crunch Berries. Not to often though they do a number to the roof of my mouth.

Lots of rice, lots of potatoes, and a very large quantity of Pop-Tarts
Don’t judge me :slight_smile:

[quote]JR249 wrote:

I have a killer sweet potato recipe. Pre-heat your oven to 450 F, line a baking tray with foil, then take a fork and puncture your sweet potato all over - be aggressive here. Place sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
Flip them over at the 30 minute mark and set the timer for 25-30 more minutes, 20 minutes if they are smaller (shorter than your palm). Remove and scrape off any blackened crusties from the leaking juices; finally, let them cool a bit and cut them into portions. I promise these will be some of the best tasting sweet potatoes you have ever eaten.

[/quote]

I can vouch that this was delicious. Only thing I did differently was to sprinkle cinnamon on them before putting them in the oven each time. Tasted like candied yams.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]JR249 wrote:

I have a killer sweet potato recipe. Pre-heat your oven to 450 F, line a baking tray with foil, then take a fork and puncture your sweet potato all over - be aggressive here. Place sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
Flip them over at the 30 minute mark and set the timer for 25-30 more minutes, 20 minutes if they are smaller (shorter than your palm). Remove and scrape off any blackened crusties from the leaking juices; finally, let them cool a bit and cut them into portions. I promise these will be some of the best tasting sweet potatoes you have ever eaten.

[/quote]

I can vouch that this was delicious. Only thing I did differently was to sprinkle cinnamon on them before putting them in the oven each time. Tasted like candied yams.[/quote]

It certainly sounds terrific this way; I’ve just found that cooking them on a lower temp for longer makes them even sweeter. And the trick for me with cutting them in half BEFORE cooking and placing them facedown on the greased baking sheet (coconut oil or butter) gives them a nice glazed sheen when you take them out and plate them face-up.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[/quote]

I can vouch that this was delicious. Only thing I did differently was to sprinkle cinnamon on them before putting them in the oven each time. Tasted like candied yams.[/quote]

It certainly sounds terrific this way; I’ve just found that cooking them on a lower temp for longer makes them even sweeter. And the trick for me with cutting them in half BEFORE cooking and placing them facedown on the greased baking sheet (coconut oil or butter) gives them a nice glazed sheen when you take them out and plate them face-up.[/quote]

I’ll give your way a go when I cook some up next time. Both sound great.

[quote]JWolfe wrote:
I aim to stay ultra-low carb until post workout. Then, I’ll usually slam some white rice or sweet potatoes with my my post wkout meal. I have to say, it was getting sooooo BORING. I decided to give quinoa a shot and DAMN… that stuff is good. I try not to eat a lot of grains, but I was surprised at how many nutrients and what not are in there when I looked it up.

Anyway, I know I’m way behind the times, but I definitely recommend throwing some quinoa in the mix if you’re bored with your clean carb options. [/quote]

I like quinoa too. It’s great mixed in with a spinach salad.

I often make quinoa with a South West twist: add in diced cilantro, tomatoes, green onion, red bell pepper, maybe some black beans and roasted corn kernels, and a bit of EVOO. Serve with chicken.

Also, I just came across a Pomegranate Quinoa I want to try. Prepare 1 cup of dried quinoa, then add in 2 cups pomegranate seeds, 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced, 2 1/5 Tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 TB EVOO, dash of salt to taste.

And a BLT one where you mix in crumbled bacon. I’m don’t eat a lot of pork or beef, but NOM!! I may have to make an exception.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Fruity pebbles [/quote]

I’ve eaten a few boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios in my time. :slight_smile: And Pop Tarts are a part of BBing culture.

The thing is, so many people seem to develop issues with insulin. Lots of people here say they have to be really careful with carbs, including some of the people who are coaching and giving advice on this site. I have to wonder how many of them were eating lots of refined sugar before they developed their carb related /pre-diabetes kinds of problems.

This Public Service Announcement brought to you by Middle-Aged Mom. :slight_smile:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it, but when I ate more carbs, I used to eat farina (cream of wheat) almost daily. Super cheap and easy (2 tbsp in 2 cups boiling water for 2 minutes)… I believe it has a better profile and GI than oatmeal too.

I also used to eat barley regularly, though it does take a while to cook. Likewise, dhal and rice, but I only get like 20g carbs on my off days now.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[/quote]

It certainly sounds terrific this way; I’ve just found that cooking them on a lower temp for longer makes them even sweeter. And the trick for me with cutting them in half BEFORE cooking and placing them facedown on the greased baking sheet (coconut oil or butter) gives them a nice glazed sheen when you take them out and plate them face-up.[/quote]

I’ll give your way a go when I cook some up next time. Both sound great.
[/quote]

Me too! YUM! Oh, and I like to save the leftovers to put in my Vanilla Metabolic Drive the next morning. I use about 2.5 ounces of yam or sweet potato (80 cals.), a scoop of protein powder, a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon, lots of ice, a cup of almond milk. I like them thick, eaten with a spoon. Tastes like a pumpkin pie shake. I’ve done it with both yams and canned pumpkin.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

The thing is, so many people seem to develop issues with insulin. Lots of people here say they have to be really careful with carbs, including some of the people who are coaching and giving advice on this site. I have to wonder how many of them were eating lots of refined sugar before they developed their carb related /pre-diabetes kinds of problems.

This Public Service Announcement brought to you by Middle-Aged Mom. :slight_smile: [/quote]

This describes me quite well. I grew up eating a plethora of junk food: sugary breakfast cereals, pastries, cakes, Twinkies, soda pop, fast food, etc. I topped the scales at almost 300 lbs when I was not even 20 years-old, and believe me these were years of extremely poor eating, largely on refined sugars and flour and plenty of fat. I fully believe that a large part of my own personal carb intolerant, nutrient partitioning woes are related to the aforesaid years of poor eating.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
leftovers
[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
leftovers
[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand.[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]JR249 wrote:
[/quote]

Recipe??

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have just given the instructions on how to bake a sweet potato??

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]JR249 wrote:
[/quote]

Recipe??

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have just given the instructions on how to bake a sweet potato??

tweet[/quote]
lol