T Nation

Carbs: How Do You Eat Yours?

T-Men,

I’ve been eating low carb for quite a while now, but am now adding them back in to my diet progressively to see where my carb threshold is, and because I think I may have been holding back my strength gains.

So far, I’ve been eating weetabix, quinoa, and oats as they are easy to track and measure, but this only gets me so far.

I’m looking for ideas on how to get in clean carbs, preferably that also taste good and can be cooked in a batch to eat throughout the week.

Any ideas?

Some of my favorites are rice and shredded potatoes. Over here you can buy bags of shredded hash browns that are amazing :slight_smile:

White rice, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, gluten free crepes, finibars, gatordade and occasionally some gluten free pasta.

Whenever I eat “dirtier” carbs, it often leads to a binge episode. For example if I eat a bowl of “Coco Pops” or pizza, I can t help myself but eat the whole box or 2 whole pizza’s. Not sure why.

tweet

I’m pretty low carb atm, so I go for at least 1 piece of fruit. I also hit up the rice cakes because I don’t get to eat many crunchy things. Yams whenever I have the oven going. Cereal post workout and a bunch of junk during a refeed.

[quote]c0dythechamp wrote:
Some of my favorites are rice and shredded potatoes. Over here you can buy bags of shredded hash browns that are amazing :slight_smile: [/quote]

Shredded hashbrowns does sound good. Will keep an eye out for them.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Whenever I eat “dirtier” carbs, it often leads to a binge episode. For example if I eat a bowl of “Coco Pops” or pizza, I can t help myself but eat the whole box or 2 whole pizza’s. Not sure why.

tweet[/quote]

I’m the same. Plus those boxes of cereal are so small… too easy to guzzle down in a couple of man-size bowls. When I’m at home, I’d like to keep the carbs clean because I binge too, and because I put on fat pretty easily so don’t need to make it any easier.

I aim for 2-3 high-carb “cheat” meals every week, usually in a restaurant or from a sandwich shop round the corner.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
I’m pretty low carb atm, so I go for at least 1 piece of fruit. I also hit up the rice cakes because I don’t get to eat many crunchy things. Yams whenever I have the oven going. Cereal post workout and a bunch of junk during a refeed.[/quote]

I’ve never eaten a yam. Will have to try one.

I try to avoid cereals because the milk gives me really bad gas and I’m dating :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been eating low carb for close to a year and it’s funny, when I first cut out the carbs I had a hard time figuring out what to eat, and now I’m having the same problem trying to fit them back in.

Regular potatoes for less dense carb source and purple Japanese sweet potatoes for a more dense carb source!!

Sweet potatoes taste great -thoroughly- boiled and eaten alone. With potatoes I love to mix in some spinach and chicken, 50-100ml of milk and make a mashed potato mix.

Not a huge fan of rice. Not that the rice is bad, but just because there isn’t too much nutrition in rice and it’s very carb dense (I like to eat a lot). If I were to eat rice, I’d rather just eat some toast and jam or honey, or if I were concerned about density/nutrition aim for some kind of vegetable which has some calories. Extra note: I do quite like rice and even live in Japan…

yams are much better baked than any other way (well, I never fry them)… and spectacular with butter.

RE: cereal and gas… it’s probably the dairy. I use protein shakes instead of milk. I used to put down a bunch of skim milk on my refeed, and I’d blow up for hours. I notice vitamin d supps also cause gas.

Yams (or sweet potatoes, depending on terminology in your nation - the stuff with orange flesh!)

Cut them in half, place face down on a baking sheet that’s been greased with coconut oil or grass-fed butter, put them in the oven for at least an hour on a fairly low temp (250 F). Profit.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
T-Men,

I’ve been eating low carb for quite a while now, but am now adding them back in to my diet progressively to see where my carb threshold is, and because I think I may have been holding back my strength gains.

So far, I’ve been eating weetabix, quinoa, and oats as they are easy to track and measure, but this only gets me so far.

I’m looking for ideas on how to get in clean carbs, preferably that also taste good and can be cooked in a batch to eat throughout the week.

Any ideas?

[/quote]

How much do you like to cook? How do you define “clean”? Do you mean not refined? Low in oil/fat? It looks like you are ok with wheat/gluten?

I’ve been cooking a lot lately. I’m also adding back more carbs, but trying to stay with low-oil and plant based recipes. Playing around with various whole grains, seeds, lentils, legumes.

Would this work for “clean” for you?

Cilantro Lime Rice

2 cups cooked jasmine rice - I use a rice cooker. Perfect every time.
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped.
2 tablespoons pine nuts - saute in a little grape seed oil to toast.
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons butter, melted - can sub EVO, reduce or omit if you are really watching fats.

In a large bowl combine rice, toasted pine nuts, cilantro, butter and lime juice.

I like to serve with shrimp, but it’s versatile. Chicken would be good, or black beans. For shrimp, skewer and broil or grill with a bit of EVO, Emril’s spice, and lemon, or lime juice. Serve over the Cilantro Lime Rice.

I eat oats, grits, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and rice on occasion.

If you like oats or grits, I always add some nut butter, flax seed, berries, walnuts, coco powder and egg whites to mine. This makes a smooth, quasi-chocolate porridge with a nutty flavor.

I have a killer sweet potato recipe. Pre-heat your oven to 450 F, line a baking tray with foil, then take a fork and puncture your sweet potato all over - be aggressive here. Place sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
Flip them over at the 30 minute mark and set the timer for 25-30 more minutes, 20 minutes if they are smaller (shorter than your palm). Remove and scrape off any blackened crusties from the leaking juices; finally, let them cool a bit and cut them into portions. I promise these will be some of the best tasting sweet potatoes you have ever eaten.

If you’re okay with rice, try this sweet rice recipe:
In a medium saucepan – bring water and 1/2 Tbl butter to boil. Add the desired amount of rice to fit your macros and stir to combine. Remove from Heat and cover 5 minutes. Add sugar, honey or molasses to taste, and 1/2 TB butter, stir to combine. Serve in your favorite cereal bowl, add milk (I use almond milk) and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can also add a small amount of raisins to this and it tastes even more fantastic.

Dairy: morning favorite of mine: 1 cup of unsweetened, nonfat Greek yogurt, Stevia to taste (I use 4-5 drops of pure liquid extract) 1/2 to 1 cup of oats (depending on carb allotment for the day), 1 TB unsweetened coco powder, 2 TBSP unsweetened coconut flakes, 1 TB of natural nut butter of choice (can substitute PB2 for lower fat alternative), 1 TB ground flax seed, small handful of walnuts or pecans (1/8 or 1/4 cup), 1 cup of frozen raspberries or blueberries. Note: on a really high carb day, I might add a banana.

Morning quick fix - Ezekiel bread (2 slices), 1-2 TB natural nut butter, 1 whole banana cut into small slices - make an “Elvis” favorite PB and banana sandwich. If it fits your macros, make 2!

Quick dessert fix - chop up a mango and an avocado, slicing into chunks, then place in a small mixing bowl and add 1 TB of olive oil and 2 TB of balsamic vinegar, stirring to taste.

Ezekiel bread
Rice cakes
White Basmati rice
Microwaved sweet potatoes
White potatoes fried in kerrygold butter
Bananas
Clif bars
Intra workout carbs

The main difference in my diet when I’m dieting or not is rice. I just add a couple cups of rice to my postworkout meal when I’m trying to gain weight which is around 400 calories if I remember correctly.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
Regular potatoes for less dense carb source and purple Japanese sweet potatoes for a more dense carb source!!
[/quote]

I thought I might have to fall back on the trusty potato :slight_smile:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
I use protein shakes instead of milk. [/quote]

That is an excellent idea, thanks, it’s definitely the dairy. It’s a shame because I love milk.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Yams (or sweet potatoes, depending on terminology in your nation - the stuff with orange flesh!)
[/quote]

Ok. So it turns out I’ve eaten loads and loads of yams lol

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

How much do you like to cook? How do you define “clean”? Do you mean not refined? Low in oil/fat? It looks like you are ok with wheat/gluten?

[/quote]

I love to cook, and do every day. The kitchen is actually one of my favourite parts of going to the gym.

By clean I suppose I mean unrefined/unprocessed, and I’m not being too careful about fats at the moment (depending on the day, my diet can be quite high in fats), and no known issues with gluten.

Thanks for the rice recipe, looks lovely and easy to make :slight_smile:

[quote]JR249 wrote:

If you’re okay with rice, try this sweet rice recipe:
In a medium saucepan – bring water and 1/2 Tbl butter to boil. Add the desired amount of rice to fit your macros and stir to combine. Remove from Heat and cover 5 minutes. Add sugar, honey or molasses to taste, and 1/2 TB butter, stir to combine. Serve in your favorite cereal bowl, add milk (I use almond milk) and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can also add a small amount of raisins to this and it tastes even more fantastic.
[/quote]

This actually made my mouth water. Thanks!

[quote]Mizery wrote:
The main difference in my diet when I’m dieting or not is rice. I just add a couple cups of rice to my postworkout meal when I’m trying to gain weight which is around 400 calories if I remember correctly. [/quote]

That’s what I’ve been doing with oats. It’s effective and easy to track, but it gets a bit boring.