Carbs Hours Before You Workout?

Im not sure where i read it maybe it was by John Berardi but I read him saying if you have carbs a couple hours prior to lifting you will end up being tired when you workout I think he said because of hypoglycimia but its always worked fine for me.

Than today i tried having p+f as the meal like1 hour before i worked out and wow i almost feel asleep during my workout and then after i wanted to pass out. What do u guys think, am i mis understanding something here?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
What do u guys think, am i mis understanding something here?[/quote]

Yes, you are undoubtedly oversimplifying what you’ve read.

Carbohydrates are not inherently evil. Most of the athletes with whom I’ve worked need carbs to function optimally,

Above all else, experiment to determine what works best for you. If you’ve found that you perform best after consuming a carbohydrate-rich pre-workout meal, stick with it.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
crod266 wrote:
What do u guys think, am i mis understanding something here?

Yes, you are undoubtedly oversimplifying what you’ve read.

Carbohydrates are not inherently evil. Most of the athletes with whom I’ve worked need carbs to function optimally,

Above all else, experiment to determine what works best for you. If you’ve found that you perform best after consuming a carbohydrate-rich pre-workout meal, stick with it.[/quote]

ok thanks, ya it seems like thats what most people do so i think i will haha

ok thanks, ya it seems like thats what most people do so i think i will haha

I like having some carbs + aminos during and generally a carb+protein shake an hr and a half before or so.

In really simple terms carbs = blood sugar = fuel for your muscles (of course it’s a little more complicated then that)

I do believe that if somebody pounded a gatorade for example just prior to training that they might not like the results and get that lethargic sugar rush feeling. But sipping on carbs to fuel your workouts doesn’t seem to be so evil, at least for me…

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I like having some carbs + aminos during and generally a carb+protein shake an hr and a half before or so.

In really simple terms carbs = blood sugar = fuel for your muscles (of course it’s a little more complicated then that)

I do believe that if somebody pounded a gatorade for example just prior to training that they might not like the results and get that lethargic sugar rush feeling. But sipping on carbs to fuel your workouts doesn’t seem to be so evil, at least for me…

DG[/quote]

would you suggest the same thing for someone on a ketogenic diet?

what about fasted workouts? are you more likely to use stored fat?

IMO carbs are essential. They are the muscles fuel, I always have around 90g carbs 30 mins before I workout.

There is a reason why 95% of the stuff you read says to keep carbs around breakfast,pre,and post workout.

If you are just running on a F+P combo for your workout I don’t see you accomplishing much. Unless you are in keto and your body is able to use fat as fuel, I’m assuming that would be the one exception.

except that the body cannot use fat to fuel anaerobic exercise. it simply cannot provide ATP fast enough. you need carbs to perform.

either eat carbs or eat a retarded amount of protein, half of which will be converted to glucose anyway so you might as well go the cheaper / better tasting route and eat some carbs.