Counting Carbs from Fiber?

Do you guys count fiber towards your daily carbs? I didn’t when I was doing keto but now Im dieting and will be working my way into a 12 week prep and I’m trying a different approach with keeping carbs in around workouts and just curious on your thoughts.

If you want to employ nutrient timing that is your prerogative, but then please realise that carbohydrates stemming from vegetables are not best centered around your workout as the fiber content reduces the glycemic response to a meal and the vegetables are not insulinogenic themselves. I’ve written about the arguments for centering your carb intake around a workout here: Meal Timing Help, Early Morning Workouts

My advice for vegetables is make it a fixed point of your diet, eat say 10 cups or your bodyweight in kilos / 100 (70 kg bodyweight => 700 grams of vegetables / day) and eat them with the meals that aren’t immediately before / after your workout.

P.S: it is possible to successfully diet without restricting your carbohydrate intake to near your workout.

I appreciate the response but I wasn’t asking about vegetables. It was about my macro count. So basically should the fiber count towards my overall carb count or should I subtract it. Perhaps I should have worded it better.

I completely agree about your last point of losing fat with carbs not only around workouts. I actually started the diet with high carbs and fats around 15grams a day. Then as weeks passed I slowly changed carb meals to fat meals. Once I stall I’ll slowly change fat meals into carb meals, etc.

Count everything.

I wouldn’t worry much because they only provide very minimal calories.

Fiber calories can not be directly accessed by humans. Intestinal bacteria breaks down fiber and we are able to get some calories from that but they actually break it down to fatty acids (fats) that we end up using as fuel at a rate of about 1 calorie per gram of fiber, so a gram of fiber yields about .11 grams or about 1 calorie OF FAT, not carbs.

http://www.fao.org/3/w8079e/w8079e0l.htm

The short chain fatty acids yielded by fiber are probably the reason why fiber is good for the intestines (not the mechanical scraping of the fiber itself) since intestinal bacteria live on short chain fatty acids that they make from fiber.

2 Likes