T Nation

Carbs for Breakfast

Alot of articles suggest carbs and protein for breakfast to replenish lost glycogen over night, however I have come across plans that call for protein and fats for breakfast. Is it counter productive to do fasted morning cardio then eat a protein and fats meal? or does this meal also replenish glycogen?

You’re over analyzing, just eat. Stick to the basics, eat clean and get 6 meals a day and get enough protein. Try to hit your calorie goal whatever it may be. Lift 3-4 times per week using compound movements. That’s it, don’t sweat the small stuff.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
You’re over analyzing, just eat. Stick to the basics, eat clean and get 6 meals a day and get enough protein. Try to hit your calorie goal whatever it may be. Lift 3-4 times per week using compound movements. That’s it, don’t sweat the small stuff.[/quote]

I have to agree here. Eat clean.

Take whatever plan you are reading and play around with it. I always have clean carbs in the morning because that works for me. Don’t be afraid to experiment and don’t over analyze. Focus on the major stuff and worry about the small details later.

[quote]MjRmatt wrote:
Is it counter productive to do fasted morning cardio then eat a protein and fats meal? or does this meal also replenish glycogen?[/quote]

A meal with no carbohydrates contains no glycogen, therefore no it will not replenish your glycogen.

I don’t know what your goals are…but if they’re mass gaining or losing fat, I would recommend carbs at breakfast.

I always eat a big-complex carb/fiber filled breakfast (oatmeal, allbran, fruit, toast etc…) with a good amount of healthy low-fat protein (shakes, lean beef/ham, cottage cheese etc)

Lots of articles recommend that breakfast contain carbohydrates and protein. Carbs for the sake of ending the night-time fast, and for providing you with glycogen and energy for the rest of your day. Your body puts the carbohydrates “to work” in the morning or, they will be used up by whatever you’re doing in the day and not stored as fat, and further prevent muscle breakdown for energy.

i can’t find the article now but i remember one dude splitting his eating based on the time of day such that carbohydrate intake was highest in the morning and lowest at night, vice versa for fat, while protein stayed the same throughout.

In short, EAT CARBS AT BREAKFAST, and as everyone else said (i’m guilty here too) just eat 6 meals a day, eat clean, eat tons of veggies/fruit/protein, and sleep

[quote]dougefresh wrote:
joburnet wrote:
You’re over analyzing, just eat. Stick to the basics, eat clean and get 6 meals a day and get enough protein. Try to hit your calorie goal whatever it may be. Lift 3-4 times per week using compound movements. That’s it, don’t sweat the small stuff.

I have to agree here. Eat clean.[/quote]

It depends what your goals are. Personally it takes a lot more than just eating clean when I’m trying to lower my bf%, but I suppose this is sufficient for some people.

That said eating clean wont hurt.

For fat loss, Dr. Berardi recommends a protein and fat breakfast unless you have already exercised. Hea says that you should always have your carbs the meal after exercise. He makes a big deal about nutrient timing in his book “Metabolizm Advantage”.

However, I always have carbs (Oats)at breakfast as it gives me energy for my mid-morning workout. I have no science behind that but it works for me. Of course my bf% is not as low as Dr. Berardi’s.

Try out both (fats/prot and carbs/prot) for a week or so and see what works best for you, how you feel and how it affects your workout performance etc.

People react different when it comes to carbs vs fats, its about impossible to give an absolute answer that would be correct for everyone.