T Nation

Carbs Before Workout

How important is it to take carbs right before WO? im on a moderate carb diet and wondering if I would benefit greatly from adding 20-25g simple carb before lifting . I usually get around 100-150g carb daily including 25g post workout.
Mike

If you’re only getting about 25g post workout, you could easily add another 25g before.

It’s basically what I do - I have half a serving of Surge at the start of my workout, and the other half at the end.

You just have to try it and see I love it some ppl dont make sure you dont CRASH during the w/o etc may take a few session to see if it works for you and get the right balance etc. and if it progresses you faster to your goals

Phill

[quote]mike51183 wrote:
How important is it to take carbs right before WO? im on a moderate carb diet and wondering if I would benefit greatly from adding 20-25g simple carb before lifting . I usually get around 100-150g carb daily including 25g post workout.
Mike[/quote]

Holy Moly. 150 g carbs daily??? WHY? 25 grams of carbs is a glass of milk! How is it that you think a glass of milk could de-rail your goals?

To answer your post, I’d say it isn’t important, based on the fact that you’re on a carb restrictive diet. Consume the majority of carbs after your workout - like at least 75 grams. You won’t be starving your body of carbs and it’ll burn fat for energy most of the day.