T Nation

Carbs Before Bedtime?

I am trying to add a few for pounds of muscle before cutting for the summer. I am lifting very heavy and eating heavy all day even at bedtime(carbs included). Does this have any benefit while bulking or am I just storing fat overnight?

I’d try and save them for the next morning’s breakfast or PWO. I don’t know shit though because I’ve never bulked, so I don’t know why I’m even giving advice.

Unless you’re a stick and have trouble gaining muscle, I’d eat the bulk of you’re carbs post workout. Get a shake in immediately following your lifting session, wait 1 hour, then eat another high protein & carb meal of real food.

Even if you want to gain size before cutting for summer, you still don’t want to throw on gratuitous fat just to look bigger if all you’re going to do is have to work hard to shred it back off in a few weeks.

[quote]pinnaclejay wrote:
I am trying to add a few for pounds of muscle before cutting for the summer. I am lifting very heavy and eating heavy all day even at bedtime(carbs included). Does this have any benefit while bulking or am I just storing fat overnight?[/quote]

I’d cut the carbs before bed and just make that up by eating more fats

[quote]pinnaclejay wrote:
I am trying to add a few for pounds of muscle before cutting for the summer. I am lifting very heavy and eating heavy all day even at bedtime(carbs included). Does this have any benefit while bulking or am I just storing fat overnight?[/quote]

You realize how close we already are to summer, right? Seems like too many people start summer cuts too late and actually reap the benefits once Fall hits and shirts are already back on, or they just give up once they realize they won’t make it in time.

Scott Abel made a great point on this in one of his audio interviews. He said that while we work on a 24 hour schedule our bodies don’t and he ingests a small amount of carbs before sleep as he is not going to have any for the next 8 hours.

OMR, good idea, however unless you give new meaning to the phrase “power nap”, there’s not much use for carbs during sleep.

I don’t know. It’s interesting if Scott said that. We don’t know everything about sleep. But I have noticed that a small amount of carbs before bed can improve sleep. I was reading some circadian stuff where the researchers believe that blood sugar is meant to rise during sleep, and insulin resistance at night is normal. The pattern is robust in lean, healthy, and young subjects, but LESS so in the elderly and obese.

There’s a strong belief that carbs at night will make you fat. However, there’s a big difference between have 20 g of carbs before bed versus having a monster plate of alfredo at dinner, or snacking on bags of chips or boxes of cookies all evening. Or, as we did in my family, scarfing down the Haagen-Dazs.

[quote]andersons wrote:
I don’t know. It’s interesting if Scott said that. We don’t know everything about sleep. But I have noticed that a small amount of carbs before bed can improve sleep. I was reading some circadian stuff where the researchers believe that blood sugar is meant to rise during sleep, and insulin resistance at night is normal. The pattern is robust in lean, healthy, and young subjects, but LESS so in the elderly and obese.

There’s a strong belief that carbs at night will make you fat. However, there’s a big difference between have 20 g of carbs before bed versus having a monster plate of alfredo at dinner, or snacking on bags of chips or boxes of cookies all evening. Or, as we did in my family, scarfing down the Haagen-Dazs. [/quote]

I agree. As usual, people tend to take things like this too far to the extreme.

Don’t be afraid of carbohydrates before bed. Just don’t let it get out of hand.

[quote]andersons wrote:

There’s a strong belief that carbs at night will make you fat. However, there’s a big difference between have 20 g of carbs before bed versus having a monster plate of alfredo at dinner, or snacking on bags of chips or boxes of cookies all evening. Or, as we did in my family, scarfing down the Haagen-Dazs. [/quote]

I agree. As usual, people tend to take things like this too fat to the extreme.

Don’t be afraid of carbohydrates before bed. Just don’t let it get out of hand.

I mix in a scoop of protein into a small bowl of cereal mixed with ground flax, pop a multi and have half a container of low fat cottage cheese right before bed. My thinking being that if we repair muscle while sleeping, why not give the body everthing it might need. I sleep well and still wake up starved. I realize that this may seem at bit much for some but over the last 5 weeks of my strength training I have only gained 4 pounds and I hope a pound or two is muscle. I will continue to follow my eating routine during my next strength period unless there is any info out there that suggests carbs are useless during sleep.