T Nation

Carbs at Night When Bulking?

hey guys currently clean bulking on 3700cals at the moment. as you know a lot of complex carbs. my protein level stays relatively constant and fat/carb alter on and off days.

is it ok to spread carbs having little amounts even at night for eg adding like oats to casein shake ??? i want to put on clean size so whats your personal experience from doing this??

Yep, it’s perfectly fine. I even have carbs at night when I’m cutting, just so long as they fit into my macro breakdown for the day.

S

Stu, not to hijack this guy’s thread at all, but does that mean then that you think that hitting your macro targets for the day is more important than nutrient timing?

I train later in the evening and always have carbs about 10 pm. I am currently cutting FWIW.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Yep, it’s perfectly fine. I even have carbs at night when I’m cutting, just so long as they fit into my macro breakdown for the day.

S[/quote]

This.

IMO, and it seems like in Stu’s as well, at the end of the day, your hitting your macros is much more important than when you get them, the exception maybe being carbs around the workout.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

S[/quote]

This.

IMO, and it seems like in Stu’s as well, at the end of the day, your hitting your macros is much more important than when you get them, the exception maybe being carbs around the workout.[/quote]

Exactly, get them in around the workout AND hit your total for the day. Don’t be afraid to eat them at night.

too easy guys thanks for the feedback

Does anyone else sweat like a whore in church when eating too many carbs before bed? I have woken up in the middle of the night drenched.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Does anyone else sweat like a whore in church when eating too many carbs before bed? I have woken up in the middle of the night drenched.[/quote]

Always

I train at night so I try to eat the bulk of my carbs around that time frame. It’s always 2 to 3 hours + before I sleep though. Personal opinion ofcourse, but carbs and fats are what (generally speaking) an energy source. Sleeping is what, a non active state in which you body recovers. Protein and some healthy fats before bed is fine. Carbs before bed, bad. :wink: Carbs at night are fine tho, just make sure there clean.

@Ebomb your legs are getting sick dude. Nice work, you do alot of volume work for legs right? I think I remember reading a log or something your wrote?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Does anyone else sweat like a whore in church when eating too many carbs before bed? I have woken up in the middle of the night drenched.[/quote]

Haha!

I tend to wake up drenched when I eat carbs before going to bed too.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

S[/quote]

This.

IMO, and it seems like in Stu’s as well, at the end of the day, your hitting your macros is much more important than when you get them, the exception maybe being carbs around the workout.[/quote]

+2 ^^

The controversy with carbs at night comes down to the time old belief that ‘I’m not gonna use em so they’ll be stored as fat’, the issue - your body isn’t that selective and its impossible to determine your precise metabolic state at any given point throughout the day. When you break down carbs they’re broken down into glucose that circulates in your bloodstream, from there its got several routes - A) to be used for energy to fuel anaerobic activities, B) muscle cells to replenish muscle glycogen lost during training, C) glycogen stores in the liver which fuel the brain (under normal conditions glucose is the only fuel the brain can use for energy) or D) to be stored as triglycerides in the adipose tissue (fat storage). Now I’m not saying this is the order by which your body will precisely go through in a checklist fashion however I am certain of a few things;

1. if you’ve trained in the afternoon or evening I’m pretty sure you’ll have used some of your muscle glycogen stores which will need replenishing.
  2. I’m pretty sure your brain has been active for the majority of the day you’ve been awake (if not its probably wise to see a doctor) and glycogen stores there will also more than likely be tapping their glass somewhat for a CHO based beverage.
  3. I’m also pretty sure your body will be more concerned about survival and replenishment needs over fat storage.

I think the whole ‘no carbs before bed’ is a bit draconic and only really still believed by the government (which in this country haven’t reviewed their approach to healthy eating in years). Long as your daily intake is in line with your calorie requirements in relation to your BMR/activity level/somatotype/overall goal I don’t think it matters.

S[/quote]

x dos

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

S[/quote]

This.

+2 ^^

The controversy with carbs at night comes down to the time old belief that ‘I’m not gonna use em so they’ll be stored as fat’, the issue - your body isn’t that selective and its impossible to determine your precise metabolic state at any given point throughout the day. When you break down carbs they’re broken down into glucose that circulates in your bloodstream, from there its got several routes - A) to be used for energy to fuel anaerobic activities, B) muscle cells to replenish muscle glycogen lost during training, C) glycogen stores in the liver which fuel the brain (under normal conditions glucose is the only fuel the brain can use for energy) or D) to be stored as triglycerides in the adipose tissue (fat storage). Now I’m not saying this is the order by which your body will precisely go through in a checklist fashion however I am certain of a few things;

1. if you’ve trained in the afternoon or evening I’m pretty sure you’ll have used some of your muscle glycogen stores which will need replenishing.
  2. I’m pretty sure your brain has been active for the majority of the day you’ve been awake (if not its probably wise to see a doctor) and glycogen stores there will also more than likely be tapping their glass somewhat for a CHO based beverage.
  3. I’m also pretty sure your body will be more concerned about survival and replenishment needs over fat storage.

I think the whole ‘no carbs before bed’ is a bit draconic and only really still believed by the government (which in this country haven’t reviewed their approach to healthy eating in years). Long as your daily intake is in line with your calorie requirements in relation to your BMR/activity level/somatotype/overall goal I don’t think it matters.

^WMD raises some good points!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Stu, not to hijack this guy’s thread at all, but does that mean then that you think that hitting your macro targets for the day is more important than nutrient timing?[/quote]

Most people seem to feel that it’s an either/or situation with nutrient timing vs total macros. Ideally you will balance the two. Sure you want to hit your #s, but IN ADDITION, targeting certain nutrients in a denser approach at certain times of the day will also benefit you when it comes to performance (which will result in more productivity stemming from each training session).

If I’m having an especially high carb intake day for example, while I will definitely load a ton of 'em in around my training, for the rest I just feel better spreading them out to meet my target numbers. That means that if I have to eat some carbs at night, I do it, and ignore whatever wonderful advice Dr. Oz, or Oprah, or whatever idiot touting his revolutionary diet program this month is saying.

Keep in mind that we’re not the audience that the general public is addressing. We know better than to look for weight loss solely based on scale numbers. So at risk of sounding a bit arrogant (which is never my intention)… until someone who obsesses about avoiding carbs at night, or not eating after 5pm, or any other ‘silly’ advice shows up with a lean and muscular physique (no, NOT looking like 140 lb Brad Pitt in ‘Fight Club’, I mean MUSCULAR), I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.

S

[quote]WMD_UK wrote:

1. I’m also pretty sure your body will be more concerned about survival and replenishment needs over fat storage.

[/quote]

Why do you think this?

Survival seems to often mean trying to store as much energy (fat) for later (famine).

It seemed like we are “designed” to often sacrifice performance for security.

Isn’t this why you need to effectively ‘tick’ your body into thinking more strength/muscle is more likely to keep you alive than a bunch of stored fat?

Most people seem to feel that it’s an either/or situation with nutrient timing vs total macros. Ideally you will balance the two. Sure you want to hit your #s, but IN ADDITION, targeting certain nutrients in a denser approach at certain times of the day will also benefit you when it comes to performance (which will result in more productivity stemming from each training session).

If I’m having an especially high carb intake day for example, while I will definitely load a ton of 'em in around my training, for the rest I just feel better spreading them out to meet my target numbers. That means that if I have to eat some carbs at night, I do it, and ignore whatever wonderful advice Dr. Oz, or Oprah, or whatever idiot touting his revolutionary diet program this month is saying.

Keep in mind that we’re not the audience that the general public is addressing. We know better than to look for weight loss solely based on scale numbers. So at risk of sounding a bit arrogant (which is never my intention)… until someone who obsesses about avoiding carbs at night, or not eating after 5pm, or any other ‘silly’ advice shows up with a lean and muscular physique (no, NOT looking like 140 lb Brad Pitt in ‘Fight Club’, I mean MUSCULAR), I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.

S
[/quote]

cool, your thinking mirrors mine exactly. Always good to cheack what you’re doing matches the pro’s.

Cheers for the reply