Carbs and Sleep

For the past 2 weeks I have been going against my normal diet (no carbs after lunch), and have been eating brown rice or quinoa with dinner.

One of the biggest differences that I have noticed is a much improved quality of sleep. Adding carbs with dinner is the only thing that I changed, and I have been sleeping like a baby since doing this.

I wanted to see if anybody else had similar experiences? Because it has actually made a pretty big if difference.

I believe it has something to do with seratonin release.

Out of curiosity, how many grams of carbs do you have before bed?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
For the past 2 weeks I have been going against my normal diet (no carbs after lunch), and have been eating brown rice or quinoa with dinner.

One of the biggest differences that I have noticed is a much improved quality of sleep. Adding carbs with dinner is the only thing that I changed, and I have been sleeping like a baby since doing this.

I wanted to see if anybody else had similar experiences? Because it has actually made a pretty big if difference.[/quote]

When ever I start restricting carbs, I start losing sleep. I usually try to add them in at night when ever possible to get some rest again.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I believe it has something to do with seratonin release.

Out of curiosity, how many grams of carbs do you have before bed?[/quote]

Probably around 30g’s, nothing crazy.

How many hours before bed?

wow, I am very glad you posted this. In the last week, I have been on Roman’s fat loss, so I have been having less than 80 g carbs/day… most very early on in the day. I have had awful sleeps all week, that could be a coincidence… but that might be why. I was blaming it on the HOT-ROX, but who knows.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
How many hours before bed?[/quote]

I usually eat dinner around 7:30 and try to get to bed by 10, so about 2.5 hours.

Side Note: BPT, I finally ordered some of that mushroom powder, looking forward to some serious health benefits!

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I usually eat dinner around 7:30 and try to get to bed by 10, so about 2.5 hours.

Side Note: BPT, I finally ordered some of that mushroom powder, looking forward to some serious health benefits![/quote]

The reason I asked about the timing was that carbs/insulin can mess with GH output for about 3 hours from what I’ve read, although the effect probably depends on amount/meal size as much as it does timing. But from what I know, you seem to be in the clear with regards to GH.

Side Note: I’m hopeful that it will do good things for you. It’s a perfect product for me (having a pansy @$$ immune system). I hope it serves you as well!

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Side Note: BPT, I finally ordered some of that mushroom powder, looking forward to some serious health benefits![/quote]

The reason I asked about the timing was that carbs/insulin can mess with GH output for about 3 hours from what I’ve read, although the effect probably depends on amount/meal size as much as it does timing. But from what I know, you seem to be in the clear with regards to GH.

Side Note: I’m hopeful that it will do good things for you. It’s a perfect product for me (having a pansy @$$ immune system). I hope it serves you as well![/quote]

I noticed you said that an insulin spike can mess with GH outputs, what about with things like BCAAs. When I wake up once each night (to go to the bathroom) ill usually pop a few BCAA tabs.
Is this ok?

I wonder the same thing. I would think so (that BCAA is okay), but honestly the study I read was pretty clear only about the subject of carbs. (I have no idead if BCAA induced insulin spike would mess you up… Also FWIW, the study mentioned that GH output is highest 1 hour into sleep anyways, so I would think you’d be fine if you take them half way through your sleep).

I’ll try to dig it up, but I almost for sure remember that it did not make it 100% clear if it was carb induced (i.e. blood sugar spike) or insulin in general, which would leave the door open for BCAAs possibly affecting GH output.

I’ll look for the study (i posted it a while back) and post it here so you can see it, and I’ll also look for some other evidence, so decide for yourself…

If all else fails,
maybe someone with a better background on the subject can CHIME IN.

If all else fails,
maybe someone with a better background on the subject can CHIME IN.[/quote]

You got me at the word better…damn.

Although I do recall Brad Pilon (I believe it was) reviewing a study on GH an Insulin interaction, amidst of all the technical words and pretty diagrams, I recall him saying that GH’s effect is hindered when Insulin levels are raised.

I don’t see why BCAA’s, Leucine, or any other insulinogenic products wouldn’t do the same (Hence why I have stopped having Cottage cheese prior to sleep)

In all honesty, I really think that the eating immediately before sleep and mid-way through the night is kinda overrated. I have had better body recomposition since ditching the Cottage cheese with casein and PB before bed and reparitioning the calories peri-workout.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

If all else fails,
maybe someone with a better background on the subject can CHIME IN.[/quote]

You got me at the word better…damn.

Although I do recall Brad Pilon (I believe it was) reviewing a study on GH an Insulin interaction, amidst of all the technical words and pretty diagrams, I recall him saying that GH’s effect is hindered when Insulin levels are raised.

I don’t see why BCAA’s, Leucine, or any other insulinogenic products wouldn’t do the same (Hence why I have stopped having Cottage cheese prior to sleep)

In all honesty, I really think that the eating immediately before sleep and mid-way through the night is kinda overrated. I have had better body recomposition since ditching the Cottage cheese with casein and PB before bed and reparitioning the calories peri-workout.
[/quote]

Search is a fail, but the info silverhydra described (and way you came about it) agrees with what I recall as well. I hope that helps/ed.