T Nation

Carbs and Fiber Interaction

Can someone explain the interaction between carbohydrates and fiber? I know that fiber is a type of carbohydrate, and I know what soluble and insoluble fiber does, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on the interaction of the two in a diet.

Fiber slows down the digestion of carbohydrates. In turn, there is less of an insulin spike, and this helps prevent lipogenesis, insulin resistance, and more importantly diabetes. On the contrary fiber can negatively effect the speed that nutrients get absorbed into muscle. For example, post-workout Surge, or other High CHO PWO meal will not be as effective if taken with a fruit high in fiber (take a prune), because the insulin response triggered will not be as powerful. Aside from digestion the two do not interact.

[quote]verdant wrote:
Fiber slows down the digestion of carbohydrates. In turn, there is less of an insulin spike, and this helps prevent lipogenesis, insulin resistance, and more importantly diabetes. On the contrary fiber can negatively effect the speed that nutrients get absorbed into muscle. For example, post-workout Surge, or other High CHO PWO meal will not be as effective if taken with a fruit high in fiber (take a prune), because the insulin response triggered will not be as powerful. Aside from digestion the two do not interact.[/quote]

That was a great description and exactly what I needed. Thank you!