T Nation

Carbs and Calories

Hey all,

Very much in the learning as much as I can phase and the I know I’m going to make stupid mistakes phase as well.

Here is my situation:

I’ve been ‘ok’ with nutrition the past 5 years or so, but nothing serious. 3 meals a day, no real thought into how I’m bringing in my energy as far as macros go.

I’ve just started Capoeira and in association with that have drastically changed my nutritional habits. I’ve studied the Thib newcomers guides and have tried to base my new habits on that.

Prior to the details, I seem to be very calorie deficient and very high in carbs. Of all the items I consumed yesterday only a few weren’t ‘whole’. If anyone has any recommendations please feel free…I have no idea how people can keep their carbs under 50g throughout a day, its amazing!

Here is my workout schedule.

M,W,F
15 min stretching
15 min static strength exercises (handstands, headstands, planche progression [just starting a tuck planche])
2h 30min of capoeira ends at 10:30pm

Tu,Th
15 min stretching
15 min static strength exercises (handstands, headstands, planche progression)
45 min of weights
- mixture of; shoulders, back, tri - OR - legs, bi, chest
- sometimes will substitute yoga on these days…or…
- will do a quick full body circuit.

Sa, Su - rest days…

Nutrtion…
159lbs - down from 169 3 weeks ago
11.5% BFM (according to my tanita scale, for whatever it is worth!) - down from 15.5% 3 weeks ago.

yesterday according to Fit Day

calories - 2,533
fat - 74g
carb - 273g
protein - 210g

meal times
6:30am
9:30am
12:30 pm
3:30 pm
7:00 pm
10:30 pm

6:30

breakfast smoothie
1/2c frozen blueberries
211 cal - 1g fat - 50g carb - 3g protein
whey protein
130 cal - 2g fat - 6g carb - 26g protein
2c vanilla soy milk
240 cal - 6g fat - 32g carb - 12g protein
125g fat free yogurt strawberry
50 cal - 8g carb - 3g protein
30g Fibre Cereal
110 cal - 1g fat - 23g carb - 3g protein
1tsp Fish Oil
BCAA

9:30
30g of turkey cold cut
33 cal - 7g protein
1 small peach
68 cal - 17g carb - 1g protein
250ml of bolthouse farms mocha cappucino
178 cal - 3g fat - 29g carb - 10g protein
tall coffee with 25mL 2% Milk
21 cal - 1g fat - 2g carb - 1g protein

BCAA

12:30
2 slices of 12 grain bread
240 cal - 5g fat - 40g carb - 10g protein
75g of Roast Beef cold cut
194 cal - 13g fat - 19g protein
45g of spinach
10 cal - 2g carb - 1g protein
150g of carrots
65 cal - 15g carb - 2g protein

3:30
45g of roast beef cold cut
120 cal - 8g fat - 12g protein
125g of cottage cheese
100 cal - 2g fat 6g carb - 14g protein
40g of cooked chicken cold cut
44 cal - 1g fat - 9g protein

BCAA

7:00
3 Chicken Thighs - approx 150g (cooked with Soy and lemon juice)
367 cal - 23g fat - 37g protein
1c of steamed broccoli
98 cal - 5g fat - 10g carb - 6g protein

10:30
Whey Powder - 10g Creatine + 500mL water
130 cal - 2g fat - 3g carb - 26 g protein
1 Apple
125 cal - 1g fat - 32g carb
ZMA
BCAA

• from what I’ve read, my BCAA intake is all wrong.

Not sure what you are trying to do other than reduce carbs. Do you want to lose fat or are you trying to gain mass?

If you just want to drop carbs, get rid of the milk, yogurt, bread/cereal and fruit. Then, just replace with vegetables and more whole foods like eggs and meats.

Excellent question!

Goals - strength and tone…

I’m not looking for bulk by any means, just want more definition and more strength for the capoeira moves that demand it.

Definition is highly dependent on body fat. So, you have to drop some fat. Now, big question, what is your maintanence calorie amount? If you don’t know that, how has the amount of calories you have been consuming (based on the above) been working for you?

You eat too much processed meat.

2890 is my BMR.

Given my activities throughout the day, specifically MWF, I’m well over 4500 considering the calorie/min for Capoeira.

Practical experience has been great so far…

Observations.

• Way more energy (probably because of focus and enthusiasm and having a goal).

• Feeling full/ or at least satisfied throughout the day.

• Don’t mind the taste of anything w/out ketchup/sugary sauces. I can slam back a cup of cottage cheese and not blink. That used to make me want to gag.

• BF measurements at 5PM have dropped about 1% per day for the past 3 days. Read 10 today. Even if that is not the actual number the trend is clear…

• Large reduction in visceral fat in my mid section. I’m pretty slight to begin with but I do notice additional muscle and my abs are much more apparent.

• My stamina is way better than 2 weeks ago. I’m still ready to go more at the end of class. Probably mostly due to culumulative conditioning.

• Going to buy more chicken/fish/beef and pre cook it to experiment that way.

Tomorrow I’m introducing Surge and HOT-ROX. HOT-ROX is a temp experiment for now.

Plan on keeping ZMA, BCAA, Protein and Surge around.

So far so good and I am having alot of fun.

so cut out the cooked turkey and chicken cold cuts?

What is the downside of eating them?

lots of salt
lots of preservatives
other fun stuff like nitrates

just grill up some chicken/fish instead, should take less than 10 minutes

cool thanks…

How much per week do you spend on chicken/fish?

Oki, made some changes…

Morning (630)
1/2c Oat Brain
1/2c Blueberries
Protein
Mocha
Fish Oil

Morning Snack
100g Tilapia (from frozen)
Fruit (banana)
Medium Mild Coffee + 1/4c Whole Milk

Lunch
200g of Beef or Chicken
Fruit (pear/apple)
1c mixed leafy greens

Afternoon I
100g Tilapia
Fruit (peeach/strawberries)

Afternoon II
100g Beef/Chicken
50g Spinach + 2tsp Olive Oil

Dinner
150g of Chicken/Beef/Seafood
100g veggie (brocolli, bok choy, zucchini)

Workout (capoeira ends around 10:30)
Creatine
Surge
ZMA

Calories ~= 2,600

Looks like I have to up my meat intake…

calorie breakdown

20% fat
47% carb
35% protein

Any other ‘pointers’?

Re: Strength and Definition are among the goals rather than mass.

If you aren’t doing strength training, you aren’t going to improve strength. From what you posted above, strength training isn’t your primary goal and it doesn’t appear to be a secondary goal.

You must strength train. You can’t decide to do yoga instead and expect your strength to improve. Althought your ‘static strength’ exercises may help to some degree, you are missing out on the benefits of weight lifting.

Thanks, going to read some more articles to align actions with results :slight_smile:

Tanita scales? not a huge fan on those. according to the tanita scales I am currently 9.5% BF. I was pumped about this and went to have another DEXA scan done. A dexa scan is the most accurate known method for calculating muscle mass, bone mineral density and bodyfat. My dexa results. A very pathetic 12%. I assume that I am know around 11.5 as i have dropped some more since then but the Tanita scale was way off.

Down 10 lbs in 3 weeks? That’s almost too much at 250 lbs, if you’ve dropped that much at 160ish, you’ve got to add some calories.

never eat below your BMR. You wrote that your BMR is 2890kcal. I assume this is either a typo or a misunderstanding of the term BMR. You can calculate your BMR and TDEE through the Harris Benedict formula. do a quick search for that one. as per my previous post i wouldnt be too exciting about the tanita fat % (sorry…iwas too) and dropping 1% of fat per day is not likely either. If that were possible most bodybuilders could cut down to 6% in 3 days or so. would be nice though wouldnt it??

[quote]mcash1 wrote:
2890 is my BMR.

Given my activities throughout the day, specifically MWF, I’m well over 4500 considering the calorie/min for Capoeira.

Practical experience has been great so far…

Observations.

• Way more energy (probably because of focus and enthusiasm and having a goal).

• Feeling full/ or at least satisfied throughout the day.

• Don’t mind the taste of anything w/out ketchup/sugary sauces. I can slam back a cup of cottage cheese and not blink. That used to make me want to gag.

• BF measurements at 5PM have dropped about 1% per day for the past 3 days. Read 10 today. Even if that is not the actual number the trend is clear…

• Large reduction in visceral fat in my mid section. I’m pretty slight to begin with but I do notice additional muscle and my abs are much more apparent.

• My stamina is way better than 2 weeks ago. I’m still ready to go more at the end of class. Probably mostly due to culumulative conditioning.

• Going to buy more chicken/fish/beef and pre cook it to experiment that way.

Tomorrow I’m introducing Surge and HOT-ROX. HOT-ROX is a temp experiment for now.

Plan on keeping ZMA, BCAA, Protein and Surge around.

So far so good and I am having alot of fun.[/quote]

Agreed. Most people aim for around 5oograms per week. up to a kilo per week is also possible but be wary of losing muscle if loss is any greater (unless your musch larger). past 1kg per week is likely to be:
some fat,
some fluid
some muscle

fluid loss may explain changes in your tanita scales. 2600 doesnt sound too bad though. just double check with thatformula i mentioned. all the best

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
Down 10 lbs in 3 weeks? That’s almost too much at 250 lbs, if you’ve dropped that much at 160ish, you’ve got to add some calories.[/quote]