T Nation

Carbs After Training

I hear and read again and again about the importance of eating protein and carbs after training. Simple carbs particularly. My dilemma is that I train late at night and go to bed about an hour after I train. Which makes eating allot of carbs after training, before bed. How much carbs do you think should be taken after training and how long after eating those carbs should I wait to hit the sack?

Thanks!!

Check out the following articles by Berardi on this topic and don’t worrk about carbs before bed.

Don’t worry about the bed time, just worry about getting those carbs.

By the way, you should also have at least one solid meal after your PWO meal/shake. This would also be a good time to get in some carbs (depending on your diet/goals).

Although metabolism is slower in the evening, I think the whole “don’t eat heavy/don’t eat carbs” thing before bedtime is blown out of proportion.

After your workout, your body’s metabolism will be in high gear and your muscles will want to soak up anythink you can give it. Don’t worry about it.

I just read David Barr’s website about the post workout window… and carbs…

well, apparently the window is pretty much 24-hours. and you dont really need a solid meal. He actually recommended what i usually do. 2 Shakes. 1 after workout… another again after… and he even found out that the shake Pre-workout, and the 2nd one post workout are 200% more anabolic than the actual post workout.

Also we don’t need that many carbs… Just go to his website. Kinda shocked me too.

i think its raisethebarr.com? or somthing… lol

I used to finish a workout around 9:30ish, slam 45g dextrose and 1 scoop of whey then go home and at 11:00p (right before bed) eat a crap ton of Berardi’s rice pudding from gourmet nutrition. still lost fat. eat the carbs.

Ok Thanks!!! I wont fear the carbs…but if I get fat im blaming you guys LOL

As much as I utterly despise getting up earlier than necessary – and my idea of “necessary” is about noon – on account of the fact that I want most of my carb intake to be pre-and-post workout including for a more major workout at least a couple following regular meals with carbs, I train in the morning.

Unless the problem is the hours of the gym, why isn’t it equivalent in terms of sleep to get to bed earlier, not having to work out in the evening, and get up that much earlier?

As God-forsaken as the early hours of the morning admittedly are…

Remember Becker, it all depends on the individual and how your body works. So as you experiment on different ways of eating you’ll find out what goes what way for you.

Also, kudos on the avatar!

[quote]Tbecker01 wrote:
Ok Thanks!!! I wont fear the carbs…but if I get fat im blaming you guys LOL[/quote]

If you’re eating pizza and other garbage foods, don’t blame anyone except yourself if you get fat.

If you’re really concerned, use natural Peanut Butter to spike your insulin instead. I’ve known many guys who do this when on keto diets.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
If you’re really concerned, use natural Peanut Butter to spike your insulin instead. I’ve known many guys who do this when on keto diets.

S
[/quote]

Could you explain this (doesn’t have to be in depth)? I didn’t know you could use natty PB to spike insulin.

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
I just read David Barr’s website about the post workout window… and carbs…

well, apparently the window is pretty much 24-hours. and you dont really need a solid meal. He actually recommended what i usually do. 2 Shakes. 1 after workout… another again after… and he even found out that the shake Pre-workout, and the 2nd one post workout are 200% more anabolic than the actual post workout.

Also we don’t need that many carbs… Just go to his website. Kinda shocked me too.

i think its raisethebarr.com? or somthing… lol[/quote]

I can’t find that conclusion for some reason. I did come across the following regarding Leucine supplementation vs EAA supplementation on effects on muscle protein synthesis.

We conclude that increasing the proportion of leucine in a mixture of EAA can reverse an attenuated response of muscle protein synthesis in elderly but does not result in further stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in young subjects.

Also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17697406?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Co-ingestion of leucine with carbohydrate and protein following physical activity does not further elevate muscle protein fractional synthetic rate in elderly men when ample protein is ingested.

The two studies that Barr cites for the claim about the 200% greater anabolic response:

From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12217881?ordinalpos=8&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This study tests the hypothesis that a dose of 6 g of orally administered essential amino acids (EAAs) stimulates net muscle protein balance in healthy volunteers when consumed 1 and 2 h after resistance exercise…Because the NB response was double the response to two doses of a mixture of 3 g of EAA + 3 g of nonessential AA (NEAA) (14), we conclude that NEAA are not necessary for stimulation of NB and that there is a dose-dependent effect of EAA ingestion on muscle protein synthesis.

Now, I hope I am not reading this wrong, but it sounds like it is not necessarily two shakes that is beneficial PWO but that the rate of muscle protein synthesis is DOSE DEPENDENT on EAA/NEAA, so consuming double the dose IN ONE SHAKE might be better than spreading it out over two. Does this mean that consuming that same double dose, albeit twice (two shakes), is even better than one shake with the double dose? Possibly, but then look at the last study above about the co-ingestion of leucine with a CHO+PRO drink not elevating the rate of protein synthesis if sufficient amounts of protein are consumed.

Last study that Barr cites (the URL won’t display so search for PubMed ID 10658002):

This study was designed to determine the response of muscle protein to the bolus ingestion of a drink containing essential amino acids and carbohydrate after resistance exercise. Six subjects (3 men, 3 women) randomly consumed a treatment drink (6 g essential amino acids, 35 g sucrose) or a flavored placebo drink 1 h or 3 h after a bout of resistance exercise on two separate occasions…We conclude that essential amino acids with carbohydrates stimulate muscle protein anabolism by increasing muscle protein synthesis when ingested 1 or 3 h after resistance exercise.

So, it doesn’t matter if we wait an hour to consume the PWO drink vs slamming it down immediately when we’re done lifting?

I dont think you should worry about the carbs. i eat every three hours while im awake this includes a full meal at 11pm (hitting the sack at 12) when i wake up i feel more energized my muscles are fuller and i have better workouts in the morning post workout cazrbs are critical make sure your getting them.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Tbecker01 wrote:
Ok Thanks!!! I wont fear the carbs…but if I get fat im blaming you guys LOL

If you’re eating pizza and other garbage foods, don’t blame anyone except yourself if you get fat.
[/quote]

That picture isnt me just a funny pic that went with my post i hope no one is that dumb, but thanks for looken out

NICE !! WILL DO THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT