T Nation

Carbs After Cardio Only

I currently only eat starchy carbs like oats or rice in the post workout time window, and I usually do cardio after I lift and then eat my carb meals after that.

However, I just started doing Waterbury’s high frequency method and he recommends doing cardio on off days from lifting. After actually doing the workouts, I definitely have to do my cardio on the off days because the workouts really suck everything out of me.

My question is, do you guys think that I should eat a starchy carb meal after doing the 20 minutes of cardio Waterbury says you can do “if desired”, or would my carb sensitivity not be as good as after an intense weightlifting workout and I should avoid the starches except after I lift?

what kind of cardio??

What are your goals??

What time of day??

etc etc.

I am trying to bulk precision nutrition style. It would probably be 20 minutes of medium to high intensity running. It would be in the afternoon or night.

[quote]Dabubzilla wrote:
I currently only eat starchy carbs like oats or rice in the post workout time window, and I usually do cardio after I lift and then eat my carb meals after that.[/quote]

Starchy carbs PWO is not advised. You need simple carbs here. Read up on Surge.

[quote]However, I just started doing Waterbury’s high frequency method and he recommends doing cardio on off days from lifting. After actually doing the workouts, I definitely have to do my cardio on the off days because the workouts really suck everything out of me.

My question is, do you guys think that I should eat a starchy carb meal after doing the 20 minutes of cardio Waterbury says you can do “if desired”, or would my carb sensitivity not be as good as after an intense weightlifting workout and I should avoid the starches except after I lift? [/quote]

Only 20 minutes of cardio should not dictate any meal plan. Just eat your regular meals, starchy or not.

I’m not sure what take Berardi or some of the other bigwigs would advocate, but it would seem to me that carbs concentrated after moderate to high-intensity cardio would be preferable to concentrating them in the morning. If the cardio is low-intensity, I would keep the carbs in the morning regardless of when the cardio is performed.

20 minutes still might be short even if the intensity is high to dictate focusing carbs at that time. On the other hand, it might be appropriate. Done right, 20 hard minutes can be pretty grueling.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Starchy carbs PWO is not advised. You need simple carbs here. Read up on Surge.[/quote]

Whoaaa!! since when are starchy carbs not simple and fast. ever look at the GI/II of Maltodextrin a starch, how about white rice, white potatoes, flours. those are all very simple fast and starch.

[quote]
Only 20 minutes of cardio should not dictate any meal plan. Just eat your regular meals, starchy or not.[/quote]

Depends if this is HIIT. If so you could have very well depleted glycogen as much or more so then a weights session. Then sure simple or any friggin carbs are warranted.

[quote]Phill wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Whoaaa!! since when are starchy carbs not simple and fast. ever look at the GI/II of Maltodextrin a starch, how about white rice, white potatoes, flours. those are all very simple fast and starch.[/quote]

OK ok good point. I guess when I think PWO I think sugary carbs, not starchy, as the primary carb source.

[/quote]Only 20 minutes of cardio should not dictate any meal plan. Just eat your regular meals, starchy or not.

Depends if this is HIIT. If so you could have very well depleted glycogen as much or more so then a weights session. Then sure simple or any friggin carbs are warranted. [/quote]

Still it’s only 20 minutes. It would have to be some damn intense HIIT to warrant a specific PWO type meal.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Phill wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Whoaaa!! since when are starchy carbs not simple and fast. ever look at the GI/II of Maltodextrin a starch, how about white rice, white potatoes, flours. those are all very simple fast and starch.

OK ok good point. I guess when I think PWO I think sugary carbs, not starchy, as the primary carb source.

Only 20 minutes of cardio should not dictate any meal plan. Just eat your regular meals, starchy or not.

Depends if this is HIIT. If so you could have very well depleted glycogen as much or more so then a weights session. Then sure simple or any friggin carbs are warranted.

Still it’s only 20 minutes. It would have to be some damn intense HIIT to warrant a specific PWO type meal.[/quote]

Hell man I no 20 minutes of HIIT will exhaust the hell out of me. And deplete glycogen and have me down right beat. HIIT if done correct its all the hell out giving everything you have multiple sets of 30 plus seconds.

But I hear you a balanced meal sure Im a huge fan. but if you really want to be optimal I see nothing wrong with fast glycogen replacement be it starchy, sugary etc then back to eating.

But thats nit picking for sure optimal, vs good, vs OK. Just depends on how far you want to take it.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Dabubzilla wrote:
I currently only eat starchy carbs like oats or rice in the post workout time window, and I usually do cardio after I lift and then eat my carb meals after that.

However, I just started doing Waterbury’s high frequency method and he recommends doing cardio on off days from lifting. After actually doing the workouts, I definitely have to do my cardio on the off days because the workouts really suck everything out of me.

My question is, do you guys think that I should eat a starchy carb meal after doing the 20 minutes of cardio Waterbury says you can do “if desired”, or would my carb sensitivity not be as good as after an intense weightlifting workout and I should avoid the starches except after I lift?

Only 20 minutes of cardio should not dictate any meal plan. Just eat your regular meals, starchy or not.[/quote]

Sorry, I guess I should clarify this. I have surge during and immediately post workout. About an hour or so later I have a whole food meal with something like oats as my starchy carb.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate your input.