Carbohydrate Timing

Hey all, I have a question. If I am trying to gain more muscle with limited fat gain, should I be eating carbs only as a pre, post, 1 hour post, and one more carb helping after that? Or should I incorporate all day long. I think all day long makes sense, without carbs you have no fuel for workouts.

I do CWs total body training 3 days a week and no cardio. I follow the prinicples of massive eating reloaded for the most part.

I do breakfast, pre and post workout.

You should experiment to find what works best for you.

If you’re a newbie and don’t have a problem with excess body fat, you can probably consume carbs throughout the day. You may, however, want to emphasize them in the morning and peri-workout.

“without carbs you have no fuel for workouts.”

False. I have been on a very low carb diet for over 10 weeks and I have no problems with energy for my workouts. Like the previous posters stated, it depends on how well your body uses carbs.

i do mine at breakfast then post and 1 hour post workout (bfast at 7am, pw at 10:30am and pw2 at 11:30am). but to set your personal carbohydrate intake times it depends on if you were more of an ecto or endomorph and what time of the day you train.

Valid points everybody. I think I may begin to throw some in with breakfast, though I train at night. However, on the plan I have been using I have managed to gain about 3 pounds in a week, so I don’t think I will stray.

[quote]BlacknGold wrote:
“without carbs you have no fuel for workouts.”

False. I have been on a very low carb diet for over 10 weeks and I have no problems with energy for my workouts. Like the previous posters stated, it depends on how well your body uses carbs.
[/quote]

Your experience doesn’t by itself make it false. It would be tough to argue carbs are not necessary. But it sounds like you are making it work. Chances are your low carb diet has more “good” carbs then most people who try and do low/no carb.

As for me…carbs in the morning…carbs pre/post workout. Other than that I stay away from them for the most part. So far so good.