Carb Source for Post-Workout Shake?

Any suggestions on a good source of carbs for my post workout shake? I blend in some frozen fruit on occasion, but looking for some other ideas as well. I dont mind putting in cooked oatmeal, but I’m thinking I need more simple carbs, and/or something that may digest faster.

If it makes any difference, I am trying to reduce bodyfat…only about 10 lbs though - I’m 235 now, so nothing too drastic.

Thanks for any input!

Doesn’t matter if you are cutting or bulking, if your w/o’s are intense, you need simple sugar and at least some easy digesting carbs (bagels) post-w/o. I would suggest malodextrin - I believe it’s the highest glycemic carb. It’s considered “complex” because it’s a polysaccarin (many bonds), but it get’s in your blood very quickly. Dextrose is about 75% as quick getting into your blood as maltose and is probably cheaper and easier to buy. Steer clear of fructose, as it’s actually lower GI and slow to hit your blood. Fruit is okay I guess, but that is fructose sugar however.

Within the next 90 minutes or so post-w/o, you do want complex carbs like oatmeal. Again, even bagels are fine in the 90 minute window. But, then stick to whole, unprocessed carbs the remainder of the day/night.

TS

[quote]adamkn wrote:
Any suggestions on a good source of carbs for my post workout shake? I blend in some frozen fruit on occasion, but looking for some other ideas as well. I dont mind putting in cooked oatmeal, but I’m thinking I need more simple carbs, and/or something that may digest faster.

If it makes any difference, I am trying to reduce bodyfat…only about 10 lbs though - I’m 235 now, so nothing too drastic.

Thanks for any input! [/quote]

Irrespective of what you are trying to do, dextrose and maltodextrin are appropriate sources of carbs PWO.

100% natural rolled oats baby! I love that stuff!

Another option you could try would be 1 or 2 cans of soft drink they a full of fast acting suger to replenish. Easy to drink and cheap as you can pick them up in bulk. Each can would probably have 40-45 grams of carbs so suit yaself on your needs.

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
Doesn’t matter if you are cutting or bulking, if your w/o’s are intense, you need simple sugar and at least some easy digesting carbs (bagels) post-w/o. I would suggest malodextrin - I believe it’s the highest glycemic carb. It’s considered “complex” because it’s a polysaccarin (many bonds), but it get’s in your blood very quickly. Dextrose is about 75% as quick getting into your blood as maltose and is probably cheaper and easier to buy. Steer clear of fructose, as it’s actually lower GI and slow to hit your blood. Fruit is okay I guess, but that is fructose sugar however.

Within the next 90 minutes or so post-w/o, you do want complex carbs like oatmeal. Again, even bagels are fine in the 90 minute window. But, then stick to whole, unprocessed carbs the remainder of the day/night.

TS[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your info.

[quote]bull wrote:
Another option you could try would be 1 or 2 cans of soft drink they a full of fast acting suger to replenish. Easy to drink and cheap as you can pick them up in bulk. Each can would probably have 40-45 grams of carbs so suit yaself on your needs. [/quote]

But, bull, keep in mind the main source of sugar in soft drinks is fructose. Sure, this will restore your liver glycogen stores, but leave your muscles hungry. Something you don’t want to be doing after an intesne workout.

Like others have said, malto or dextrose is the ideal source of sugar. After a workout, reguardless of the goal at hand, you’re looking for a spike in glucose (blood sugar), which is something you won’t get from the fructose in soft drinks.

Hope this helps!

See CW’s recommendations in his newest article.

what about potatoes?

I like Gatorade thirst quencher, for that deep down body thirst. Mix the powdered form with some protein, and you’re golden. CW talks about this in a Branding Iron, I think. He also says eat a pile of raisins and a couple bananas, with some more protein.

I make chocolate covered raisins with protein powder. Just mix the powder(chocolate, obviously) with a tiny bit of milk or water in a bowl so it’s pretty thick, dump in some raisins, stir it up, and there it is. It’s more like raisin goop when you’re done, but I like it.

Dude, that sounds awesome!

Mmmmmm…chocolate covered raisin goop…

[quote]iluminatae wrote:
what about potatoes? [/quote]

Potatoes are a great carb for PWO, 60-90 minutes after your PWO shake. They are higher GI so they should be mostly eaten in the anabolic/growth phase (2-3 hours after your workout).

Surge is ideal if your budget allows it. Mine doesn’t at the moment but, basically I think you want very high GI and liquid. Milk isn’t a bad idea because it can cause a large insulin spike despite a low GI.

maltodextrin in your p/w shake works best, cheap too