T Nation

Carb:Protein Ratio Pre/During/Post WO

I'm following the workout nutrition protocol in Scrawny to Brawny by Mejia and Berardi and I was wondering whether anyone has thoughts on the carb:protein ratio the book recommends.

I consider myself to be a ectomorph hardgainer type person (tall, long arms, don't put on weight easily). I'm 6'3 and weigh 202. After folling the Scrawny to Brawny protocol (exercise and nutrition) for about six weeks, I have put on a solid 12 pounds. I'd like to keep going and maybe get to 225 by June. I've seen good muscular development but along with that my belly has gotten bigger and I suppose that is mostly because I'm getting a lot of carbs from rice and potatoes and not fruits and veggies.

My question is whether folks think I can cut my carb intake pre, during, and post workout and still bulk up. Scrawmy to Brawny says to take .8g carbs per kg of bodyweight and half that amount of protein. I weigh approx 90 kilos so I'm taking in approx 70g carbs and 35 grams of protein in each of the three shakes on workout days (pre, during, post).

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lately im under the impression that keeping carbs high around workouts primarily the hours following working outs is more important and helpful with staying leaner while bulking and if this were true id lower your carb intake at every other time of the day rather than pre/during/post workout

Definitely keep carbs and hydration relatively high around the workout window. paulieserafini is right about keeping carbs lower at other times of the day for cleaner gains.